Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Playstation 3 and HDMI Switcher Help Needed

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I already made this post in a separate thread but I decided to make it a standalone thread as I really need good advice and soon if possible. I was planning on buying a PS3 with the free $100 gift card at Walmart but now I am considering to purchase one on eBay instead and since the main one I am watching ends later tonight I thought I should attempt again to gain some insight into my current complication.

I have an Olevia 27" 1080i HDTV. It only has one HDMI port. I am currently using it for my HD-A2 DVD player. Later this week, I plan on getting a PS3 and I need to be able to connect it via HDMI as well. I also have a cheap Sony receiver that can be connected only by coaxial/optical for 5.1 Surround Sound. I am using the optical port to connect it to my HD-A2 at the moment and need to figure out what my PS3 will need to work with my surround sound unit.

I also need to know if HDMI switchers are really worth it. At the moment I am looking at getting something inexpensive (sub $25) on eBay that claims to automatically switch the signals for you. All I need is 2 HDMI ports so I'm looking at the 2X1 HDMI switches. I might also get something instead at MonoPrice.com but I'm not sure what I need exactly.

So what exactly should I do for my HDMI problem? And do I need an optical switch for my PS3 or what?

Last edited by GenPion; 06-06-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts
I have a Monoprice 5 HDMI switcher because my TV only has one HDMI port, and I love it. I have my PS3 hooked up through it and haven't had any problems with it. You might consider getting a switcher with more ports just because you never know what you might end up needing in the future. I almost did the same thing as you, just get the 2, but as it turns out, my switcher is now full (cable box, PS3, 360, DVD player, computer - although having a problem getting the computer to work right through HDMI) and I've run out of optical spots on my receiver. If you think you might have your TV for another couple of years, it might be worth it.

As for the audio, I'm not sure. My PS3 is hooked up through the optical, but I'm sure you could hook it up with the old-fashioned standard audio plugs. Might check at Monoprice also. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something to make your one optical port into two. Hell, I might should check on that as well ...
Old 06-06-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
I use a Monoprice 5->1 HDMI switch as well and it's been great.

One note, I've got one that required me to use port 5 for the PS3. Something about the way that port is programmed vs. the others. Just FYI in case you do get one. I believe they have that info on their site as well.
Old 06-06-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^^^ Oh, that's good to know, bunkaroo! Didn't realize the ports were programmed differently. That could be why I haven't been able to get my computer going; I might need to use a different port.
Old 06-06-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree: get a switch with more ports than you need. You'll find you'll need the extra ones eventually.
Old 06-06-08, 01:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by clckworang
I have a Monoprice 5 HDMI switcher because my TV only has one HDMI port, and I love it. I have my PS3 hooked up through it and haven't had any problems with it. You might consider getting a switcher with more ports just because you never know what you might end up needing in the future. I almost did the same thing as you, just get the 2, but as it turns out, my switcher is now full (cable box, PS3, 360, DVD player, computer - although having a problem getting the computer to work right through HDMI) and I've run out of optical spots on my receiver. If you think you might have your TV for another couple of years, it might be worth it.

As for the audio, I'm not sure. My PS3 is hooked up through the optical, but I'm sure you could hook it up with the old-fashioned standard audio plugs. Might check at Monoprice also. I wouldn't be surprised if they have something to make your one optical port into two. Hell, I might should check on that as well ...
Sme here. Monoprice 5-1 switcher for cable, hd-dvd and ps3. Have the audio going through optical into my reciever.
Old 06-06-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll make the right decision now. I'm going to place my order with MonoPrice today. Is their shipping usually pretty fast? About how long does it take?
Old 06-06-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GenPion
Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully I'll make the right decision now. I'm going to place my order with MonoPrice today. Is their shipping usually pretty fast? About how long does it take?
WAIT!!!!! There is something you should know!!!!!!

http://www.us.playstation.com/Suppor...d/default.html

Check the audio output grid!

The AV MULTI OUT connector ONLY SUPPORTS STEREO OUTPUT!!! You will need to at least connect it through an optical connector to get 5.1!!!!!!! This will change everything for your setup options. Does the HDMI switch have an option to support sound? Does your TV have a coax out that can route the 5.1 signal to your amplifier?

Last edited by rfduncan; 06-06-08 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 04:08 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I usually pay a little extra for the priority shipping (I figurre since I am saving so much money on wires from them, it is worth it to pay for the quicker shipping) and it takes no more than a couple of days to recieve items from Monoprice via priority.
Old 06-06-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Now I'm even MORE confused. It's a good thing I haven't placed the order yet though.

My receiver can support optical. I'm not sure if it only has one optical port though. Don't I need it to be an optical connection for both my HD-A2 and PS3?
Old 06-06-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now I'm even MORE confused. It's a good thing I haven't placed the order yet though.

My receiver can support optical. I'm not sure if it only has one optical port though. Don't I need it to be an optical connection for both my HD-A2 and PS3?
I think most receivers only have a single optical port. Does your TV have a coaxial sound out? (Mine does...) If so, you can take the sound off of the HMDI signal and send it to the coaxial input on your receiver which is a different channel that the optical and would still give you 5.1.
Old 06-06-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I think most receivers only have a single optical port. Does your TV have a coaxial sound out? (Mine does...) If so, you can take the sound off of the HMDI signal and send it to the coaxial input on your receiver which is a different channel that the optical and would still give you 5.1.
No... my TV doesn't. I just checked.

Does this mean I can't get 5.1 Surround Sound with both my HD-A2 and a PS3 connected at once?
Old 06-06-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No... my TV doesn't. I just checked.

Does this mean I can't get 5.1 Surround Sound with both my HD-A2 and a PS3 connected at once?
Pretty much. You will have to physically move the optical cable back and forth between the two units. Sounds like you should consider retiring the HD-A2 since your movie library for that is limited. The PS3 is an excellent upconverter so you'd only use the HD-A2 for HD-DVD playback. Wow. First time I've heard of someone being practically FORCED to retire an HD-DVD player... never heard of an "optical switch".
Old 06-06-08, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use this box for my switching solution: 4 x 1 HDMI Switch with Optical Toslink Routing -V1.3 Full 1080P with Deep Color Support

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...rt_toslink.htm
Old 06-06-08, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by geodi
I use this box for my switching solution: 4 x 1 HDMI Switch with Optical Toslink Routing -V1.3 Full 1080P with Deep Color Support

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...rt_toslink.htm
Whoo, that's hardcore. You might as well put that $250 towards a new HDMI receiver.
Old 06-06-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bob330i
Whoo, that's hardcore. You might as well put that $250 towards a new HDMI receiver.
Yeah really. And you could also get a receiver that can do TrueHD sound...
Old 06-06-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

That wouldn't solve my problem? My HD-DVD player can be connected via Optical or Coaxial, so if the PS3 can only be connected by Optical wouldn't a switch like this allow me to do both?

I was considering purchasing a new TV (and even maybe a new HD Audio Receiver) in a couple of months anyway so I may just hold off on purchasing a PS3 and continue buying HD-DVD's while they are on sale right now if there is nothing else that I can do.

Thanks for all the help in this thread. Even if it doesn't work out for me in the end.
Old 06-06-08, 11:00 PM

That will work just fine. That is how I have mine connected.
Old 06-07-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If I bought a 7.1 Surround Sound receiver with two digital coaxial ports would that solve my PS3/ HD-A2 connection problem? And would it playback some of the new HD audio tracks from the PS3/HD-DVD player?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-09-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I bought a 7.1 Surround Sound receiver with two digital coaxial ports would that solve my PS3/ HD-A2 connection problem? And would it playback some of the new HD audio tracks from the PS3/HD-DVD player?

Thanks for all the help!
If you're going to get a new receiver, you'll need one with HMDI in order to get the PS3 to support 7.1 output (see diagram above). So no, "digital coax" would not solve anything.

I think you might be confused too - coax is the AV MULTI OUT which is stereo only on the PS3. Digital out (optical) is something else that supports 5.1 on a PS3. A receiver with HDMI support is what you really need to hear the HD (lossless) audio tracks fully from a PS3.
Old 06-10-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know this isn't completely on topic with the thread, but I think it was at least suggested by the direction things were going. So it here it is!

Video stuff I know pretty well, but audio terms always make me feel stupid. Right now, I have one HDMI on my TV and use the 5 switcher. And then each one of those individual HDMI components has the audio hooked directly into the receiver with through optical toslink cables.

So is that better or would it be better/just as good to use the audio out from my TV and connect that to my receiver and just use the HDMI audio feed going into my TV, rather than hooking each component up with a separate cable directly to the receiver.

I hope that wasn't too wordy/confusing! I was trying to make it concise anyway ...
Old 06-10-08, 03:29 PM

I know this isn't completely on topic with the thread, but I think it was at least suggested by the direction things were going. So it here it is!

Video stuff I know pretty well, but audio terms always make me feel stupid. Right now, I have one HDMI on my TV and use the 5 switcher. And then each one of those individual HDMI components has the audio hooked directly into the receiver with through optical toslink cables.

So is that better or would it be better/just as good to use the audio out from my TV and connect that to my receiver and just use the HDMI audio feed going into my TV, rather than hooking each component up with a separate cable directly to the receiver.

I hope that wasn't too wordy/confusing! I was trying to make it concise anyway ...
Probably depends on how you TV handles the incoming signal. I know that some Panny plasmas only output 2.0 even if you have 5.1 or better coming in. I think it's still better to leave your current set up as is just to make sure you still get 5.1 out...if that's your intended result.
Old 06-10-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, Bob330i! That's just what I needed to know. I figured that was the best configuration with what I've got; I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to gain something by going strictly through my TV.
Old 06-10-08, 07:16 PM

Thanks, Bob330i! That's just what I needed to know. I figured that was the best configuration with what I've got; I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to gain something by going strictly through my TV.
NP. The only benefit, if your tv will pass through the 5.1 signal unaltered, would be to have one connection to your receiver from the TV. The TV would do the audio switching for you. But it's unlikely so keep your current set up as-is would be my recommendation.
Old 06-10-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Check your receiver to be sure you don't have more than 1 optical input. Unless it's a HTIB, chances are it has 2 or 3.