Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fourteenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 07:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: The Fourteenth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge **Discussion Thread**

Found another one for the Coke challenge: Hemlock Grove - Season 1, episode 6 - "The Crucible". About 15 minutes in one of the characters is drinking a coke from a glass coke bottle. Also, around the 30 minute mark a character asks for and is given a cherry coke.
Old 05-28-23, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 486 Posts

Here are a few more Coke appearances

Shaun of the Dead. Fairly early in the film Shaun goes to the shop to get a Coke/Diet Coke.

The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980) - a Coke bottle falls from the sky setting off the events of the movie.

A Coke vending machine makes an appearance in Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Old 05-28-23, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

I kind of wish I had made it a more generic "soft drink" spotting challenge. I've seen Pepsi, Tab (a Coca-Cola product), RC, Seven-Up, and Shasta (and maybe some I'm forgetting).

I thought about adding a "No Coke, Pepsi!" sub-group while watching Death Wish 4 & 5 (which had Pepsi, but not Coke) during the first week, and even grabbed screen shots, but I didn't keep at it, so it's too late now.
Old 05-29-23, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 486 Posts

I don't think I'd have gone into a specific product placement theme without having a very good list of qualifying movies up front. But I also don' t pay attention to product placements unless they're done in some kind of manner that draws attention to the product (like in the 3 films I mentioned) which means I'd not likely have even considered such a challenge. And it's a pretty good one that really does present a challenge, even if it'd been a generic product placement theme (see the product and cite it in the list along with the film viewed).
Old 05-29-23, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think it's "product placement" in most cases. Coca-Cola signs are all over the place, so they show up in a lot of films. I figured it would be safe to pick without having a list of films to go by. With some of the crap I watch, the backgrounds (often actual places) are more interesting to watch than the actors.

If I do it again, I think I'll make a list of things to find.
The following users liked this post:
BobO'Link (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,060 Likes on 874 Posts

My challenge was derailed by a trip out of town, but I did pick off a couple pairs: The Descent 1 and 2, which I have no idea why they were on my list. Typical teen scares. I did like X/Pearl, especially the latter. While X was more of a slasher in an interesting period setting, Pearl was an intriguing character study in a different period setting. I’m in for the third installment when it comes out.
Old 05-31-23, 10:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

This was one of my more successful MYOC in the past few years. I accomplished both of my goals. I watched all of the movies and TV shows in the folk horror box set All the Haunts Be Ours including most of the short films (I missed one) and watched a bunch of the movies mentioned in the included documentary as being folk horror. I exceeded my goal of 40 movies and watched a total of 46 films or TV shows and 12 short films.

Overall I enjoyed all of the things in the box set which had a very international flavor. There were items from the UK, the US, Canada, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Serbia, Russia, Italy, Australia, Norway, and Iceland! Not everything struck me as horror. A few seemed to be dramas with a few horror type elements but not intended to evoke the typical horror reactions. Still, I found all to be at least interesting (if sometimes a little long). The shorts ranged from full fledged horror to documentaries that shed light on some of the topics covered by the longer films.

The included booklet was also interesting containing articles by different authors. Some were related to one of the included films while others were more general topics related to folk horror. Several of the articles had a strong academic style but all were readable although I wouldn't want to sit down and read the whole thing straight through.

I'm glad I picked up this set. Of course I liked some of the movies more than others. If you subscribe to Shudder, about a dozen of the twenty movies from this set are available under the Folk Horror category. This includes the excellent if long and a little overwhelming documentary Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror.

I didn't listen to any of the commentaries or many of the special features and there are a ton of films mentioned in the documentary that I haven't seen so in the great horror tradition there may be a Part Two in a future challenge.

A big thanks to Dimension X for running this challenge. I always look forward to it even if sometimes my topics don't work out as well as this one did.
Old 05-31-23, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I slacked off and didn't watch much the last week or so of the month. I still had a good time with this impromptu challenge and could see myself doing similar "scavenger hunts" in the future (if I don't have a proper theme planned out already), only with a wider list of things to find, so I can list more of what I watch.

I'd like to thank everyone who participated. See ya next time!
Old 06-01-23, 12:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I was hoping to add a few more "complete series" to my list, but time got away from me so I had to settle for just "season 1" for a few of the shows I watched. Accidentally crossing over into the Coke challenge was fun, kudos Dimension X for such an inventive theme.
Old 06-01-23, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
kudos Dimension X for such an inventive theme.
I don't deserve any kudos. I basically stole the idea from Indy24LA.

EDIT: Wow, kudos to you for noticing that Coke truck passing by in the background in Forever Knight. I almost missed it, and I was looking for it.

I added screenshots for the ones mentioned by you and others to my list post. Thanks, folks.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-01-23 at 07:17 AM.
Indy24LA (06-02-23)
Old 06-02-23, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I did not watch as many sitcoms as I would have liked this challenge but I made my way through a few more seasons from the '90s that I missed in their initial runs. It certainly was a different era of TV.

I watched all three seasons of Black Books which I quite enjoyed -- it seemed like a zany Brit version of Seinfeld. Also I watched the first season of Bridget & Eamon which I ended up enjoying too. I will need to check out the remaining seasons.

Thanks Dimension X for hosting another fun challenge!
Dimension X (06-03-23)
Old 06-02-23, 07:48 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

As expected, there's coffee in a lot of what we watched. The really fun part was spotting the vinyl. Thanks Dimension X for running a challenging challenge.
Dimension X (06-03-23)
Old 06-03-23, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I really enjoyed traveling back to my childhood and watching so many nostalgic things. I didn't get as much in as I would have liked since family news took the wind out of my sails. Thanks for stepping up again and making this happen Dimension X.
Dimension X (06-03-23)