Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

Woohoo! Thanks Dimension X for hosting another MYOC and Goldenwheels for prizes, these challenges are a lot of fun. Congrats to the other winners and everyone participating in the challenge -- a lot of great ideas and themes.

I haven't been able to post much in the discussion thread but what I have been able to watch this month was good for revisiting some oldies but goodies as well as several first time views.

I saw a lot of Captain Blood's influence on Pirates of the Caribbean. I wasn't sure what to make of Deathstalker II after the first movie but once I figured out they were just having fun I did too. For what should be a throwaway movie theme it's damn catchy. I was able to work in the BBC Narnia adaptations with the movie versions too.

Conan, Dragonslayer, Beastmaster -- true gems of their era with great memories watching them back in the day.
Old 06-01-17, 08:49 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: The Eighth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2017

I hope the winners all get a great amount of enjoyment from their selections. A great big thanks to Goldenwheels and Hamilton Books (sorry shadokitty, but I couldn't think of any other way to say it) for their continued generosity. I think it's safe to say that these challenges would not be quite as much fun without the added possibility of a (hopefully) unseen movie to add to our stacks of things to watch!
Old 06-01-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't see any sense in updating my list with the Challenge officially being over. However, I'm still watching things for it. Action Adventure, documentaries, and sports are some of my favorite genres to watch, so I don't need a Challenge as an excuse to watch them. Since I watched a few episodes of Super Dimension Fortress Macross last night, now I'm watching the equivalent episodes of Robotech. It's interesting to make comparisons, and when they are available, I enjoy watching the original Japanese versions, and following it up with the dubbed versions of anime to compare the differences.
Old 06-01-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Since I watched a few episodes of Super Dimension Fortress Macross last night, now I'm watching the equivalent episodes of Robotech. It's interesting to make comparisons, and when they are available, I enjoy watching the original Japanese versions, and following it up with the dubbed versions of anime to compare the differences.
Growing up with Robotech and watching Macross several years later a big difference to me was the soundtracks between the two series. I forget if it is the penultimate episode or the final episode of Macross but Misa is running in the streets to see Hiraku and a solo violin kicks in. After a few frenetic passages the violin holds a high note and just when the vibrato is about the break it segues into the love theme. So beautiful.
Old 06-01-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks, Dimension X, for keeping this (one of my favorite) challenges going.

Unfortunately I sucked this month. I think I'll just keep it going like I have in previous years. I'm STILL working on my 2015 challenge! LOL
Old 06-01-17, 10:47 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a great time this year - one of the most enjoyable MYOC that I've done. The worst that things got were a couple of "just OK" films in The Icons of Suspense Collection Hammer Films set and even those were worth seeing. It's always fun to check out other people's lists and see what they're watching for the month.

Thanks to Dimension X and Hamilton Books. I'm looking forward to seeing what prizes the winners pick - another nifty highlight of this challenge for me.
Old 06-01-17, 11:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The three winners have been chosen by random.org. The winners are

wishbone
Trevor
Indy24LA

Check your PMs (unless your name is Trevor, who needs to delete some PMs because his inbox is full).

Congrats to the winners, and to everyone else - if I don't hear back from all three winners, there will be a second-chance drawing for any unclaimed prize(s), so keep your fingers crossed.
Sweet! Email sent.
Old 06-01-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Thanks to Dimension X and Hamilton Books! And to everyone who contributed to the discussion.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Check your PMs (unless your name is Trevor, who needs to delete some PMs because his inbox is full).
Yeah, never PM Trevor.

Originally Posted by LJG765
How was the Broadway version? Worth the digital price for it?
Confession: I saw the Broadway version three times when it was in theaters. I know some people who are huge fans of the original movie because they grew up with it, but I only saw it a few years ago. I think the Broadway version is a lot more entertaining, with some good plot/character changes and great dancing. It is shot in live performance, in case people have trouble with stagey-ness.

I forgot you were doing a Disney challenge, but you could watch it for historical as well.

I ended up buying it at Amazon because they seemed to have the only version with bonus features.
Old 06-01-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sweet! Email sent.
You're really going to make me check that email account?

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, never PM Trevor. .
I've sent him PMs in the past (yeah, I've seen the note he used to have in his sig).
Old 06-01-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet! Email sent.
Email sent to whom? I didn't get one.
Old 06-01-17, 03:00 PM

Hmm, whatever email you have set up here. But gosh darn you, I'll delete a few PMs and make room for you. Do you just need my address?
Old 06-01-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I checked that email account, there was an email from April 30 from a DVD talk member who has never posted anything on the forum looking to trade (sell?) a movie I think I probably mentioned I was looking for in a post a few years back. Nothing else.

PM sent. Thank you.
Old 06-01-17, 04:00 PM

Thanks again Dx and Rich and Hamilton Books! I choose an Italian giallo Arrow BD, What Have You Done to Solange?, hopefully I don't bury it in other boxes before October.

Didn't chat here much the last month due to church drama, but I read every post and always enjoy the variety and creativity we display in this, my favorite Challenge.
Old 06-01-17, 04:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats to the winners! It was another good challenge for me. I ended up watching 29 movies from my watchlist which was around 25% of it, so that was nice. It was a little weird doing a MYOC that didn't have a definitive focus of related things though since these were pretty much random movies.
Old 06-01-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks again Dx and Rich and Hamilton Books! I choose an Italian giallo Arrow BD, What Have You Done to Solange?, hopefully I don't bury it in other boxes before October.
Great pick!

Old 06-01-17, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks for running things DimensionX!

Congrats to winners and thanks to Goldenwheels/Hamilton Books for prizes!

I managed to do what I wanted which was finish Newhart and watch my SS disc set of Gilligan's Island. I actually finished earlier than I anticipated and then couldn't find my Heart's Afire set to ride out until the end so I just kind of petered out... I did discover the Benny Hill episodes I was watching had a Bob Todd in the cast so I threw in a few of those. My son and his family were at the house over the weekend so I spent those last few days playing with grandkids rather than watch stuff. I had fun on both accounts!
Old 06-02-17, 08:50 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Holy cuss, did lil old me win something??? Huge thanks to Goldenwheels and Hamilton Books. And of course our highly esteemed host, DimensionX. Usually I start preparing for the Horror challenge in the summer, so my prize will help.

I really should have done an "Any Awards challenge" vs "Golden Globes challenge" because I was surprised to see so many movies and shows were NOT nominated for a Globe. It basically turned into a Cheers challenge with a side of a couple movies.
Old 06-02-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Indy24LA picked Shout! Factory's Slumber Party Massacre II & III Blu-ray 2 pack.

Old 06-02-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

My A-Z challenge was all from the "to watch" pile except for X2. And all first time views except for X2 and Young Einstein.

Old 06-03-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats to the winners and thanks to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks!

Originally Posted by davidh777
Confession: I saw the Broadway version three times when it was in theaters. I know some people who are huge fans of the original movie because they grew up with it, but I only saw it a few years ago. I think the Broadway version is a lot more entertaining, with some good plot/character changes and great dancing. It is shot in live performance, in case people have trouble with stagey-ness.

I forgot you were doing a Disney challenge, but you could watch it for historical as well.

I ended up buying it at Amazon because they seemed to have the only version with bonus features.
Yeah, I totally grew up with the movie version-I think I had one of the only VHS copies as whenever I mentioned I had it, people got really excited about it. I know that it cost extra because I bought it at Suncoast but I really, really liked the movie! It's still one of the few VHS tapes I still have, even though I did upgrade at one point.

I'll have to keep an eye out, I much prefer a physical copy to digital, but if that is all they come out with, I'm sure I"ll splurge at some point and buy it. Good to know Amazon has all the extras! Thanks!
Old 06-03-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats to the winners and thanks to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks!

Yeah, I totally grew up with the movie version-I think I had one of the only VHS copies as whenever I mentioned I had it, people got really excited about it. I know that it cost extra because I bought it at Suncoast but I really, really liked the movie! It's still one of the few VHS tapes I still have, even though I did upgrade at one point.

I'll have to keep an eye out, I much prefer a physical copy to digital, but if that is all they come out with, I'm sure I"ll splurge at some point and buy it. Good to know Amazon has all the extras! Thanks!
I remember Suncoast I once bought a book there called The Encyclopedia Of Monsters. It had a lot of good sci-fi monster entries.

I watched one of your movies from this Challenge last night for the Historical Challenge, LJG. Pollyanna was on TCM, as part of their Disney night, and since it took place in 1912, it counted for that Challenge. I loved it as much now as I did when I first saw it.
Old 06-03-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wishbone chose The Thing: Collector's Edition Blu-ray from Scream Factory as his prize.

I've forwarded the selections on to GoldenWheels.

Thank you again to to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books, and to everyone else who participated.
Old 06-07-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Man, I just went completely dead last week to fully finish the challenge. But thanks for hosting, Dim-x and congrats to the winners!
Old 06-15-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Guys, so sorry, I just logged in and saw three PMs with the three prize selections! Gonna get them picked today, sent out tomorrow!
Old 06-15-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I like the original movie, but it's not something I watch frequently. That didn't stop me from upgrading my DVD to BD, though.

Yeah, it's only digital, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that it gets a physical release at some point, either at retail or on Disney Movie Rewards or something. But it feels like it's a little past the age when kids are taking it to their friends' house for a sleepover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.