Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Wal-Mart - they have a ~3lb. bag of Brachs (the only "good" ones) with a zip-lock top which is less expensive than picking up those small bags. My will go through a couple of those in a month this time of the year. I also pick up a couple for early spring when they're harder to find. Amazingly, those still taste fresh when opened. Last year I purchased way more than needed and just opened the last of them about a month ago - it tasted as fresh as when I first purchased them. Kind of makes you wonder...
I've eaten sweets (candy...) and chocolate that was not only old but a* year past it's sell-by date, and most of it tasted just fine! I presume it's because sugar is a preservative, so the higher the sugar, the longer it'll last. If sealed.

*or several.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-30-14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 09:39 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
[Sell by dates are the be-all and end-all] [is] ..pretty much describes what my mother-in-law believed, and to a degree my wife and daughter still do, in spite of me telling them otherwise. A real life horror - throwing out good food becuase of a date on a package.
...and at the other end of the scale, my grandmother would keep tinned/canned food for decades. I think she had some tinned vegetables that were nearly thirty years old...
Old 10-30-14, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone
Given the candy corn discussion this Halloween quiz seems appropriate.

I am much better at watching movies than answering these questions.
Originally Posted by Trevor
3/10, that was a tough one.
4!

Not sure what the engagement ring question had to do with anything, too.
Old 10-30-14, 09:52 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Mortuary is a fun slasher with a young Bill Paxton. I'm glad I invested in the Blu-ray
Did you also invest in Island Claws: if so the premise had potential but otherwise not great.
Old 10-30-14, 09:53 PM

Finally saw Cabin in the Woods. What an excellent idea/film. And I assume pretty-much everything in the boxes was referencing something specific - I only got some-kind-of-Godzillary-thing and not-Pinhead - which makes the metatext even better: EVERY horror film can be a part of this universe!

Satan's Little Helper was interesting too. Much of the acting was underwhelming, and many of the decisions dumber than the average horror victims', but I thought there were two interesting aspects. The first I thought was mishandled - the apparent not-so-subtext that violent videogames corrupt and confuse children who can't separate them from reality* - and in part completely bizarre...

Spoiler:
It appeared that we were meant to think that Dougie thought everything was just a joke (c.f. hanging the old lady). How did he square that with deliberately knocking over people with the shopping cart/trolley or asking 'Satan' to kill someone for him? Was he honestly joking about the second, and under the impression that it's OK to knock people down for a joke, or was that a plothole..?

The second was the
Spoiler:
nihilistic (non-)ending.
Spoiler:
Making it a bit of a theme, after Cabin..'s apocalyptic one.
I was expecting at least one of the twists - and THEY should have expected the second - and I saw the stupidity of Dougie creating the scenario for the ending, but I didn't anticipate it actually ending where and when it did.

*Rubbish. Except in very specific and very rare cases.
Old 10-30-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Did you also invest in Island Claws: if so the premise had potential but otherwise not great.
I didn't, just Mortuary of the new batch from Scorpion. Island Claws and Girly both seemed interesting but not enough to gamble $25-30 each on without having seen them.
Old 10-30-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Day 29 reviews are up! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...14-day-29.html
Old 10-30-14, 10:23 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I didn't, just Mortuary of the new batch from Scorpion. Island Claws and Girly both seemed interesting but not enough to gamble $25-30 each on without having seen them.
I enjoyed Girly better but it had a niche rigid British charm. I'd be curious to hear other opinions on Island Claws and Girly. Hoping to check out Mortuary soon if I can squeeze it in.

I'm in the mood to get more festive with Halloween III.
Old 10-30-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Going into tomorrow with 92 entries. 100 will be tough, but is still within my reach. Whatever the case, this will be my lowest total of the 8 times I've participated in this challenge. I'm not completely burned out on horror like I usually am by this point though. I could definitely keep going for another month or so, haha.

Anyone planning to see the theatrical re-release of Saw tomorrow? I was giving it some thought, but would like to use my last few vacation days to unwind a bit and decompose decompress on the couch.

Last edited by EdTheRipper; 10-30-14 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-30-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I got together with some friends and watched Insidious and really, really loved it! God, it was creepy and perfectly cast. My love for this film as well as The Haunting and Paranormal Activity confirms that I dig haunted house/possession films.

I had a conversation with my friends about Suspiria (which they are fans of), and they suggested that I either skip Dario Argento films altogether or sojourn to Colorado and marathon them in a haze.
Old 10-30-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Speaking of devils, today's subset choice was the best one yet. Bad title, Here Comes the Devil, but great film.
It's one of the best I've seen from its particular sub-genre in many years. Most horror fans will love it.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Satan's Little Helper was interesting too. Much of the acting was underwhelming, and many of the decisions dumber than the average horror victims', but I thought there were two interesting aspects. The first I thought was mishandled - the apparent not-so-subtext that violent videogames corrupt and confuse children who can't separate them from reality* - and in part completely bizarre...

Spoiler:
It appeared that we were meant to think that Dougie thought everything was just a joke (c.f. hanging the old lady). How did he square that with deliberately knocking over people with the shopping cart/trolley or asking 'Satan' to kill someone for him? Was he honestly joking about the second, and under the impression that it's OK to knock people down for a joke, or was that a plothole..?

The second was the
Spoiler:
nihilistic (non-)ending.
Spoiler:
Making it a bit of a theme, after Cabin..'s apocalyptic one.
I was expecting at least one of the twists - and THEY should have expected the second - and I saw the stupidity of Dougie creating the scenario for the ending, but I didn't anticipate it actually ending where and when it did.
I thought it was pretty good. Its name suggests complete schlock, but the gallows humor works well.
Old 10-31-14, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just hit 100 with The Mephisto Waltz, a fairly obscure early 70s flick with Alan Alda and Jacqueline Bisset, having to do with Satanists and body stealing. Scream Factory ought to pick it up--the Midnight Movie disc from MGM needs serious picture quality improvement.
I'll have to see how many more I can get in the next 24 hours or so.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-31-14 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-31-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Going into tomorrow with 92 entries. 100 will be tough, but is still within my reach. Whatever the case, this will be my lowest total of the 8 times I've participated in this challenge. I'm not completely burned out on horror like I usually am by this point though. I could definitely keep going for another month or so, haha.

Anyone planning to see the theatrical re-release of Saw tomorrow? I was giving it some thought, but would like to use my last few vacation days to unwind a bit and decompose decompress on the couch.
Done with horror for the night, but I'm going into tomorrow with 96.75.
Old 10-31-14, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Just hit 100 with The Mephisto Waltz, a fairly obscure early 70s flick with Alan Alda and Jacqueline Bisset, having to do with Satanists and body stealing. Scream Factory ought to pick it up--the Midnight Movie disc from MGM needs serious picture quality improvement.
That's one of the few MM double-features I have yet to purchase. I keep putting it off mainly because of this review at DVD Drive-inn (a site I trust for horror/genre reviews). One line in particular is a major stumbling block to my purchase:
If THE MEPHISTO WALTZ sounds an awful lot like ROSEMARY’S BABY, you’d be right.
I thought Rosemary's Baby was a dreadful bore when I watched it the first time last year. They go on to say:
“Bland” is the operative word when describing MEPHISTO: Alan Alda, just before he shot to superstardom on “M*A*S*H*”, is handsome, but an utterly milquetoast lead; Jacqueline Bisset, while the ravishing beauty she still is today, simply can’t stand out when her character’s motivations are basically to be suspicious and concerned because the script asks her to be, not because she actually is...
The description of Alda doesn't help any as there's something about his acting that throws me off unless I'm watching him in a episode of M*A*S*H. It's also mentioned that the director, Paul Wendkos, and producer, Quinn Martin, have their primary backgrounds in TV which hurts the production:
There is no mystery to MEPHISTO. Wendkos, perhaps because of his and producer Quinn Martin’s backgrounds in television, shows the audience the entire process of how Ely has his soul transplanted into Myles’ body; we know what’s wrong with Myles. For the remainder of the film, we’re left waiting for the other shoe to drop, but who cares really? Paula is really pretty irritating anyway, and her realization of the fate of her husband isn’t believable or, frankly, very interesting.
It makes the whole affair sound like a made-for-TV production with a theatrical budget.

That review is also not very kind to the other feature on the set, The House on Skull Mountain but at least is *sounds* a bit interesting and, to me, like it's the better film.

On the plus side that review indicates the video quality is quite good:
Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers, both films look as if they were shot recently, with solid colors, a crystal clear image, and no print damage or debris to be seen. Of the two, HOUSE ON SKULL MOUNTAIN is the cleaner, as MEPHISTO has some slight grain issues during darker scenes, but nothing to really complain about.
That makes me wonder what you saw that makes you feel the set needs a upgrade.
Old 10-31-14, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carrying on from my comment earlier about how we don't celebrate Halloween in Australia, I've wanted a Ghostface costume for like 15 years but was too lazy to try to get one. I saw a cheap one advertised at a 'knick knack' store a week ago and yesterday went out to try and find it - trying to find a Ghostface costume the day before Halloween is NOT a good idea, but I literally ended up with the one a mannequin was wearing.

Not going out with it or anything but I'm having fun with it at home (and it's the first time I've ever dressed up). My mum was watering the front lawn so I went into her bedroom and knocked on the window. She looked up and then just started laughing her head off:

And then I killed her:
Old 10-31-14, 07:25 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

^ Queue the talking heads on cable railing against Horror Challenges rotting our brains and leading to murder.
Old 10-31-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Ghostface in the window is a little frightening.

But it's that sinister looking shadow that's freaking me out.
Old 10-31-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Taking it easy today. Only need 3.25 entries to make 100.
Old 10-31-14, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Ghostface in the window is a little frightening.

But it's that sinister looking shadow that's freaking me out.
My mum is pretty freaky

We actually ended up with two groups of trick or treaters tonight. When the second lot came along I happened to be in full costume, so I stood at the window and they saw me and started squealing so I ran out to them. They kept coming back for more and I kept running out. Eventually they opened the gate so I started stabbing them and running about with 4 young kids grabbing and kicking at me (and I am very unfit and the mask kept slipping - I was exhausted within 2 minutes). I hate kids and my mum was shocked that I was out there playing with them but I think I made their night. They were talking to my mum after I escaped inside and they didn't believe I was a girl because apparently I grab like a man haha.
Old 10-31-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
I liked the movie (and even moreso the movie it's paired with on the MGM double feature set The House On Skull Mountain) but Alan Alda is really a glaring fault in the film. He hams it up way too much.
Old 10-31-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Taking it easy today. Only need 3.25 entries to make 100.
I need 7, at the moment. I actually feel pretty lousy today, so lying on the couch all day shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-31-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Finished up 30 last night. Got to work tonight but should be home early enough to go big for the finish. Not entirely sure what I'm going to watch, but it will probably include Trick 'r Treat and a few classic Universal monsters. Got a new UK Blu box to go through.
Old 10-31-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hit 100 with Trick R Treat last night. I have finally given in and given it a perfect 10/10. Each year it just resonates with the season more and more and has permanently engrained itself in my traditional viewing. I'll end with 102 as I plan on watching 2 before I got a party tonight. It'll be my second lowest total since I started doing the challenge (this is my 5th or 6th year) but I'm happy with it.
Old 10-31-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hit 100 with Trick R Treat last night. I have finally given in and given it a perfect 10/10. Each year it just resonates with the season more and more and has permanently engrained itself in my traditional viewing. I'll end with 102 as I plan on watching 2 before I got a party tonight. It'll be my second lowest total since I started doing the challenge (this is my 5th or 6th year) but I'm happy with it.
I might stop at 100, and just go full bore Comedy Challenge after that.
Old 10-31-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm at 98 and should be able to hit 100 with no problem. I'm currently planning to watch the last of the "Abbott and Costello Meet..." horror entries for those last two and hopefully start them late enough for double-credit with the Comedy Challenge which begins at sunset. I *am* taking the day off today which should really put me over the top but my wife is recovering from a minor procedure so I'm watching our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter. That makes it a day of playing and "Sprout TV" with only nap time for a horror break.

And that's post #800... in the Pt3 thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.