Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 03:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by nezumi
Just a reminder: Elvira's 13 Nights on Hulu begins today. You can watch her host Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death right now.
I've tried this link, my iOS app, and the xbox app and I can't find it.

The film isn't horror but guess we've ruled it would count because it's a horror host film, right?
Old 10-19-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094834/

http://www.allmovie.com/movie/cannib...of-death-v8023

Listed as horror on imdb and allmovie.
Old 10-19-14, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone
Doh! That's what I get for trusting Hulu's classification.
Old 10-19-14, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've tried this link, my iOS app, and the xbox app and I can't find it.

The film isn't horror but guess we've ruled it would count because it's a horror host film, right?
The link seems to work fine for me...?

And yes, the movie is more of an adventure spoof; but I think the cannibal women of the title (plus Elvira, plus the fact that it's a Full Moon picture) gets it a pass for the challenge. Oh, and the movie appears to be unedited if anybody is wondering. Elvira's humor also seems to be a bit raunchier since she doesn't have to worry about broadcast standards and practices.

Here's a link to a recent interview that she did with Dread Central about the new series.
Old 10-19-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Congrats! But, yeah... what "Peepers" said... Since you're doing the theme days I'd say watch *one* for the theme and move on to something you actually like!
Agreed...makes no sense to subject yourself to something you don't like just to follow a certain theme.
Old 10-19-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by therja
I have to disagree with IMDB, today's movie (Jack's Back) is not horror.
I was thinking that while watching.
Old 10-19-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Evil Bong 3D wasn't as bad as what I thought it'd be. I won't watch it again and it's made a trip to the sell pile but it was a decent sequel for the series. Scratch and sniff card was alright. I was hungry and one of them ended up being pizza, so then I ate pizza when it was done.

I watched The Visitor yesterday. That whole first part with the kids and the speech could have been cut for my tastes. I lost interest in it because of that and it took awhile to get back into it.
Old 10-19-14, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Congrats! But, yeah... what "Peepers" said... Since you're doing the theme days I'd say watch *one* for the theme and move on to something you actually like!
I get into similar arguments about general films on my own forum all the time but: 1) there's always the chance I WILL like it and 2) since there was a decent chance I wasn't going to like them, I thought I'd just get a bunch that I needed to see done in one swift go

And it's not like I've been having great luck with the challenge so far, so it wasn't much different today. But I never know if I'm going to like something before I watch it (and I especially have trouble since my taste is kind of random), so I've just got to watch everything and hope for the best.
Old 10-19-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Would Teen Wolf require a wild card?
Originally Posted by therja
I have to disagree with IMDB, today's movie (Jack's Back) is not horror.
Giallo movies are another example of serial killer movies that aren't necessarily explicit horror so I think Jack's Back was a good match with today's theme in my opinion. When Jack the Ripper style killings are a lynchpin of the film that tips things more towards horror (because the surgical goriness of the crimes). Previously there was a consensus that some thriller movies should count as horror and I personally think Jack's Back fits that guideline. Plus the prostitute kill scene had a bit of gore despite being quick and ultimately melding with thriller elements.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
...Paranormal Activity and really enjoyed it... Is the rest of the franchise worth checking out?
In the past I liked Paranormal Activity 2 better than the first and it's continuous from the first. One thing that's really great about the franchise is it's attempt to build a mythos connecting installments. The third is a bit of a dip in quality in my eyes but a lot of people enjoyed it while the forth seems universally panned (too much more of the same). I'm looking forward to checking out The Marked Ones spin-off this year.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-19-14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And the winner of trivia question #2 is...

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

Congratulations! You're now the owner of a HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

And your choice of either a Prom Night or Curtains Blu-ray courtesy of:

BTW, I'll post the complete list of everything from the banner tomorrow.

Old 10-19-14, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Trivia Question 3

Name 3 of your favorite horror films directors.

Once again, there's no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You're playing for your choice of one of the following from DiabolikDVD.com:

Spoiler:

• Corruption (Grindhouse Releasing) (DVD / Blu-Ray Combo)
  • Cannibal Holocaust (Grindhouse Releasing 3 Disc Blu-Ray / CD All Region Combo)
  • Curtains (Synapse Film DVD)
  • Death Bed: The Bed That Eats (Cult Epics Blu-Ray All Region)
  • Prom Night (Synapse Films DVD)
  • The Baby (Severin) (Blu-Ray All Region)

Courtesy of...

Contest is open for 1 week.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-14, 09:17 PM

Congrats The Man with the Golden Doujinshi!

Think I'm just going to go for the first 3 that come to mind for this one otherwise I'll think about it too much
Old 10-19-14, 09:29 PM

Congratulations to Golden Doujinshi; quite a score there.
Old 10-19-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Just watched Nosferatu all the way through for the first time. The silent movie Ran 83 minutes, I stayed with it because of the historical aspect. I'll keep the DVD that I have but I can't say that i'll ever watch this again. I may, in the future if the mood hits me. But it was very hard to watch.
Old 10-19-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Congrats on the win, Peepers (There's no way I'm typing your new name out)

Originally Posted by Chad
Submit your answers to me via PM or email
Aww, I wanted to see what Mightysparks' picks are
Old 10-19-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Dug out my disc of The Strange Vice of Mrs Ward (1970) for tonight's giallo theme. It's an early giallo and one of Edwidge Fenech's first giallo's. I don't pull out giallos too often, because while I like them, they're apt to give me the vapors, as it were. Edwidge Fenech was quite good and as always, startling beautiful. The plot of the movie was obvious...until it wasn't.
Old 10-19-14, 09:58 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone else ever seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders? It aired on TCM in the last week (so I guess that means it should be on their on-demand service too). I just watched it from my DVR last night. The on-screen guide (and most movie websites) have it listed as just the fantasy genre (and the synopsis I saw just talked about a girl and her magic earrings), but it certainly counts as horror too: it's a vampire story (no spoiler there - the vampires appear very early). It's very dreamlike, surrealistic, and symbolic ... so it's certainly not for everyone. But I found it quite striking. Kind of like a less sleazy (and better directed) Jean Rollin movie. As if a director like Fellini, Bunuel, or Bergman wanted to make a vampire movie (comparisons to Dreyer's Vampyr and Herzog's Nosferatu are also apt).
It was on TCM until yesterday or today, so I squeezed it in, too. Very odd. I don't think I understood more than a quarter of what it was attempting to be, but it was a lot more watchable than a dozen other, ostensibly similar, films I've attempted to watch at various times. I couldn't work out who or why or what the vampire-y person/people were, or were doing, though...
Old 10-19-14, 10:38 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Really appreciate you taking the time to write so lengthily! And thanks for clarifying and explaining several bits - and book bits - that I didn't know or notice.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
(ME: I was thinking that [Sue] asked her boyfriend to take Carrie solely to set her up)
I don't know where you got this idea. In the first film, to me, the casting, the characters' actions, and their dialogue pointed to Sue and Tommy being "good kids" and Chris and Billy being "bad kids." Sue felt bad after what had happened and wanted to make up for it, so she had Tommy take Carrie to the prom.

And going back to the source material, near the end of the book,
Spoiler:
Carrie reads Sue's mind and sees that Sue meant her no harm and wasn't setting her up.
Well, I seem to be alone in not thinking Sue was just being nice, so it's probably just inherent cynicism on my part, and I'm just wrong! I saw her as being one of the bullies, and then on the peripheries of the plot. I thought Tommy was completely oblivious to what was really going on, but aware that Sue was desperate for him to take Carrie to the prom - and therefore that something was up. I didn't get 'trying to make amends' and 'niceness' from their actions, just the appearance of that...... so I guess I have a similar opinion as the gym teacher when she grilled them.

If the novel says that, then that's it. Unless perhaps the film changed it, or attempted to sow ambiguity...? Maybe next time I watch it I'm remember to be less judgmental and cynical.

I hadn't read the novel in 30+ years, and was interested to see if the new movie was more of an adaptation of the book or a remake of the first movie, so I reread it. I was actually surprised that most of what's in the first film (and the new one) is in the book. Including a lot of dialogue.
That's one thing I've finally started to grasp after watching Christmas Carols and Scarlet Pimpernels and Jekyll and Hydes - a lot of the "best bits" from any of the films are (naturally) in the books verbatim. So when good lines show up again and again it isn't necessarily a lack of imagination or deliberate homage - it may be attempts to be faithful to the book.

I wonder, therefore, whether people knowingly watching a remake prefer the dialogue to echo source and other adaptations, or whether they like variations - even if it takes the re-adaptation a step away from the source sometimes.

The story had been filmed twice before. Nothing's stopping you from only watching the first one.
Oh, I know. I was just hoping for more. Or at least some internal coherence.

I thought the use of the camera phone was one of the better things about the newest version. And Billy telling Chris that dropping buckets of blood on people is assault and could mean jail time comes straight from the novel.
But it seems that a lot hinges on there being something of a code of silence regarding ringleaders - an extant video (and tacit admission from the guilty party) which itself would be evidence of (criminal) assault rather undermines that, as it's something that could be traced and found. Indeed, by kicking Chris out of the prom for not letting anyone see her phone (rather than for backtalk and shirking detention) essentially proves her guilt. She's not stubborn (1978), she's guilty (2013). She should be dealt with.

What? Maybe I need to look at the ending again.
Not just the ending. For me, and my (all-but-proven-to-be-an-unwidely-held) of Sue
Spoiler:
the story of Carrie in the films - and presumably book - is one of isolation, and a search for acceptance. That the gym teacher accepts her more in 2013 - in 1978 she admits frustration and annoyance, while still trying to reach out; that the English teacher looks sheepish and apologetic when called out for mocking her (as he is not in de Palma's, when the roles of the pupils are reversed); that Sue is noticeably (even to ME!) trying to be nice, on several occasions, including coming to her house at the end... it takes away from Carrie being All On Her Own. In 2013 she seems rebellious against her mother, not cowed by her. She seems on the fringes of her peers, not completely apart from them. She does not seem to be a total outsider, as she did in the other film. And that lessens her drive for revenge, lessens the justification, lessens the impact. For me.

Spoiler:
This comes from the original novel too, so maybe I didn't give them enough credit for doing a new adaptation instead of a remake of the first film.
Fair enough. I do need to read the book, I know.

Where are you getting that Tommy knows anything about what is going to happen at the prom?
Spoiler:
If he knew, why would he stand under a bucket that's going to hit him on the head and kill him?
To my eyes,
Spoiler:
he didn't know-know, as in he didn't know WHAT was going to happen, just probably suspected that something was. Moreover, since the bucket shouldn't have fallen (and they managed to rig it perfectly to be above JUST her...), even if he'd known explicitly about the bucket, he wouldn't have assumed it could fall or injure him.

Spoiler:
It was always about revenge on her classmates for a lifetime of bullying. I'm actually surprised they were allowed to make a new version of the film because of that.

And I don't think the gym teacher was killed. I think Carrie just pushed her away.
My problem is that it looked planned and that she was clearly revelling in it in 2013.

In 1978, at least as I see it,
Spoiler:
there were a lot of guilty parties involved in some way - rigging the vote, etc. - and therefore those present deserved the punishment more. Which helps justify her actions - but that she sees them laughing when they aren't undercuts that justification brilliantly: she feels righteous anger at guilty parties, but the trigger she imagines isn't real. They all appear shocked and appalled at what Chris did. So her killing them is deliberately 'wrong'.

Whereas in 2013, it's almost exactly opposite - and therefore inconsistent (to me) - because
Spoiler:
not only is pretty-much everyone utterly oblivious and NOT part of the plot, and therefore much less deserving of punishment, but after taking away that level of justification, they do all laugh at her [unless that was just a badly-handled repeat of 'as seen through her eyes'], which then reverses that lack in bizarre fashion: why would they laugh? Particularly with the video up there. It's awful and vile. And then after that apparent flip, Carrie goes into a stageshow of punishment that doesn't seem reactionary and reflexive, but planned and vindictive. Which I think is wrong. She should have been pushed past breaking point, broken and lashed out. Not pushed, pulled, and decided to kill them for sport.

And unless she pushes the teacher aside to not kill her, I still thought I saw her single out a victim... which made no real sense to me at all.

[QUOTE=Dimension X;12274276]
I'm pretty sure, in all three filmed versions, as in the book,
Spoiler:
Billy was trying to run Carrie over.
[/spoiler]
In 1978, I thought Chris was driving... and Carrie's back was turned. Hence, in that version
Spoiler:
it was an unconscious reaction: self-preservation and reflex (which seems right), and not a deliberately cruel punishment. I like the Carrie who is scared, pushed past her limits and has no idea what she's doing; I don't like the knowing, vindictive version that 2013 appeared to portray. The former seems to fit in with the abused, misinformed, brainwashed and held back victim of a mad mother; the latter seemed to be speak more of a 'typical teen rebellion'... which I agree, seems like an interesting choice to show on screen when school violence is so omnipresent.

I still don't see where you got that from. They even show Sue at the prom where she discovers what Chris and Billy are going to do to Carrie
Spoiler:
a scene not in the novel.
..in 1978 or 2013? If the former, I completely missed (the significance of) that.

I should read the book, I know. And I will, when I can. And re-watch all versions and reappraise it all.
Old 10-20-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats on the win Golden Doujinshi.
Old 10-20-14, 01:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I didn't get 'trying to make amends' and 'niceness' from their actions, just the appearance of that......

I still don't see where you got that from. They even show Sue at the prom where she discovers what Chris and Billy are going to do to Carrie

..in 1978 or 2013? If the former, I completely missed (the significance of) that.
Alright, I've been following these posts and now I'm going to have to chime in because I'm completely perplexed by how you came to these conclusions about Sue not being sincere. The scene Dimension X is referring to is in the 1978 version....it's a six and a half minute scene.... in slow motion(!)

I'm curious to know under what conditions you watched this movie? Was it maybe on a tiny cell phone screen? Was it all in one viewing?
Old 10-20-14, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Aww, I wanted to see what Mightysparks' picks are
No-one particularly interesting; John Carpenter, Sam Raimi and Stuart Gordon
Old 10-20-14, 06:26 AM

I love it when people use spoilers but darn if that last page isn't hard to follow. I'll need a good nights sleep before I can dive into that mess. So November sometime....
Old 10-20-14, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I started out before breakfast this morning with one of the classic Universal pictures. I put in Son of Dracula. I think it might be the first one where he was known as Alucard.
Old 10-20-14, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yesterday's slashers, giallos, and serial killers theme brought me the most consistently enjoyable day of the challenge so far. Also achieved my little goal of more than 31 films and 4 films in a day is my record so far. Best of the day was the sleazy Nothing Underneath with the more ambitious Amsterdamned in hot pursuit.

Thanks to theme nights I get the most variety out of the challenge. Still some great days ahead!
Old 10-20-14, 09:59 AM

Redbox has a free rental code for today only - OCT20. [might be online reservation only]

Afflicted, Possession of Michael King, and Wer are all reasonable films... recommended in that order.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-20-14 at 10:32 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.