Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Gobear
Oh hells to the yeah, I would watch the hell out of that!

I watched The Battery, and it's stuck with me. At first I really didn't like it, but then it dawned on me that this would really be how the zombie apocalypse would go down; wandering on the road, surviving day by day, boredom punctuated by moments of terror. And I loved the soundtrack. I've just acquired some new bands to follow. The masturbation scene really got me; it's funny and yet deeply sad, being so cutoff from any erotic outlet that you have to get off to a dead woman's body..
I agree that is how I would expect a zombie apocalypse to go down, but why not make a movie about a typical boring day in the life. You would include making breakfast, the 3 hour meeting, and trying to fall asleep at night. If you scored it with a hipster soundtrack, it would be hailed as groundbreaking no doubt.
Old 10-27-14, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I took some time off last week and I was able to achieve my goal of 100 with Drag Me to Hell last night. I have a few more first time viewings along with completing theme nights this week but I'm pretty much coasting on fumes now.
Old 10-27-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I bought a movie based on it being in the banner, so Chad I am holding you responsible for the quality of the film Star Crystal
youtube can be your friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvMRzhmblJg

I have a bunch of horror and sci-fi VHS tapes from that era that I was slowly digitizing. Then I found out nearly all of them have already been uploaded to youtube, so I just watch those if I ever really want to see any of them.
Old 10-27-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbone
I took some time off last week and I was able to achieve my goal of 100 with Drag Me to Hell last night. I have a few more first time viewings along with completing theme nights this week but I'm pretty much coasting on fumes now.
After finishing a super long trailer comp DVD, I've just been watching horror tv. I just don't have any horror movies I want to get into.

I did buy Carrie and saw but passed, on the great price of horror 4 pack blurays that costco had. In most of the sets, I already owned the stuff I wanted and whatever was left over wasn't anything I cared about.
Old 10-27-14, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 favorite actors for a specific performance in a horror film:

Anthony Perkins [Psycho, 1960]
Marilyn Burns [Texas Chain Saw Massacre, 1974]
Kurt Russell [The Thing, 1982]
Old 10-27-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm taking a couple days off myself now. Might not make 100, but oh well.
Old 10-27-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you Chad, and Diabolikdvd.
Old 10-27-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 660 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad

[FONT="Arial"]Trivia Question 4

[SIZE="3"]Name 3 of your favorite horror films directors actors.
Wait... didn't this say "movies" *not* "actors" when I first saw it? I know I thought it odd how a "film" and "movie" would be somehow "different" things...

Anyway... I chose:
Boris Karloff
Vincent Price
Bela Lugosi

There was a time when I'd have never included Price as I thought he was "over exposed" and did nothing but "camp" type horror. Yes - that was when I was *much* younger and he was seemingly *everywhere* (60s). It was years later before I understood and appreciated his craft, talent, and appearances.

I'd have selected Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee but those 3 are the favorites of my youth. Even so, only Lugosi would move down and I can't say for sure which would take his place. It was also difficult not putting Lon Chaney Jr. on the list (or Peter Lorre, John Carradine, Michael Gough, and others).
Old 10-27-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

3 favorite horror actors:

Tom Atkins
Peter Cushing
Ted Raimi
Old 10-27-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Peter Cushing
Christopher Lee
Jeffrey Combs

Am I the only one still not used to Chad's new avatar?
Old 10-27-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
No. It's pretty gruesome...

Where did yours go?
Old 10-27-14, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
3 favorite horror actors:

Tom Atkins
Peter Cushing
Ted Raimi
Dammit! I shoulda picked Tom Atkins!
Old 10-27-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
No. It's pretty gruesome...

Where did yours go?
I'm in the middle of changing it. I haven't found something better than a pile of golden poop yet.
Old 10-27-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 828 Likes on 699 Posts

My three favorite horror actors:

Peter Cushing - Hammer's films rarely worked without his wonderful contributions.

Max von Sydow - I consider his small but pivotal perfomance in The Exorcist as Father Merrin one of the finest in movie history, much less horror. The Exorcist doesn't become a cultural phenomenon without him.

Tobin Bell - I like the bulk of the Saw franchise, mostly as a result of Bell's turn as Jigsaw.
Old 10-27-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm also a bit distressed by the new avatar! Some people are so active that their avatar becomes part of the forum. Every time they change, a little part of my brain gets confused.

I watched Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and like several other people, I enjoyed it more than the first. The ragtag team concept worked much better, and there was a definite increase in the quality of the sets and CGI.
Spoiler:
However, the main villain's plan made absolutely no sense, either as a scientist (I'm supposing he was a scientist or at least a project supervisor/leader; he kept referring to "my projects") or a company man. The problem with the corporations-as-evil concept is that they need a somewhat stable world to survive. This guy did not get that memo, especially when he kept gunning down company assets for no discernible reason. I'm pretty sure that there are better ways to test mutant monsters than kill off expensive, highly-trained personnel.
Old 10-27-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

These are my pics....

1. Robert Englund
2. Vincent Price
3. Danielle Harris (so damn adorable!!)
Old 10-27-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the middle of changing it. I haven't found something better than a pile of golden poop yet.
You need to use this:

Spoiler:

That we we can all easily remember who you *used* to be!
Old 10-27-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think I'll count them, as I don't think legends of real monsters is horror, but I'm probably going to watch a lot of Beastly Week on Animal Planet this week. Shows like Monsters Behind the Iron Curtain, Monsters and Mysteries in America, etc. Though Monsters Behind the Iron Curtain did talk about the Strigoi, the legends behind vampires.
Old 10-27-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
These are my pics....
3. Danielle Harris (so damn adorable!!)
Good one! Although I feel weird seeing her in nude scenes. Not exactly that cute little clown anymore.

For today's theme I watched Grim Prairie Tales: Hit the Trail... to Terror on YouTube. If you would have told me before today that there's a western horror anthology with Brad Dourif and James Earl Jones sitting around a campfire telling stories, I'd have said you're out of your mind. But then... I witnessed it. Not sure what else to say about that.
Old 10-27-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That we we can all easily remember who you *used* to be!
Works for me
Old 10-27-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Works for me
I actually like it better than a pile of poop
Old 10-27-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My favorite Horror Actors:

1. Brad Dourif
2. Anthony Perkins
3. Robert Englund
Old 10-27-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Body bags, as a first time viewing, was a blast. Fun stuff.

Night Train to Terror seemed iffy, trimming three low budget movies down into segments for an anthology, but worked nicely.

Annabelle was better than I expected - hopefully we see more Conjuring stuff. Apparently Annabelle is based on the "true story" of an actual doll.

...so was Dracula Untold, flawed but they someho made a fair movie out of the horrible idea of a Dracula prequel.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Resident Evil: Apocalypse...
Spoiler:
However, the main villain's plan made absolutely no sense... I'm pretty sure that there are better ways to test mutant monsters than kill off expensive, highly-trained personnel.
Some of the later Resident Evil movies explain this retroactively in a subtle way starting as soon as the beginning of the next film, Resident Evil: Apocalypse (which I consider the worst of the series) then Resident Evil: Retribution exists only to examine this occurrence.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-27-14 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I finally have some time off this week and don't plan on using it cramming in tons of movies. I've been rocking a headache the past two days that started right around the time I watched Cathy's Curse and could use a change of pace. Of course that vile temptress UPS would put the Night Breed set on my front porch today of all days.

Originally Posted by Gobear
Avoid V/H/S Viral. It was a wretched waste of time. The found footage theme has really run its course, and no purpose is served by the poor editing and the tracking static in the stories.
Don't think I've read a single positive review. That said, and while I probably won't revisit them, I did surprisingly enjoy a couple - Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones ( did NOT expect that) and Affliction. The Taking of Deborah Logan and The Sacrament were decent, but pretty meh overall.

Wait... didn't this say "movies" *not* "actors" when I first saw it? I know I thought it odd how a "film" and "movie" would be somehow "different" things...
It sure did. One of several revisions I snuck in before the 5 minute editing window expired.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I bought a movie based on it being in the banner, so Chad I am holding you responsible for the quality of the film Star Crystal
Proceed with extreme caution, my friend! Objects in banner aren't always indicative of their coolness factor.

Case in point:
Old 10-27-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

To pile on the hate for VHS Viral - Absolutely atrocious garbage. I have not one single good thing to say about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.