Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

am I missing something? I don't see a 3D item on the checklist.
Old 04-23-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

You are right. I put it in the description, at someone's suggestion, but I never did add it to the check list. We have enough variety without diluting it even more. Especially if we have people not participating over confusion of what's eligible. It's supposed to be trash and exploitation but since we added in a few just for fun (like Bombs) that contradict the aesthetic of the challenge, it makes it kind of confusing.
Old 04-23-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
You are right. I put it in the description, at someone's suggestion, but I never did add it to the check list. We have enough variety without diluting it even more. Especially if we have people not participating over confusion of what's eligible. It's supposed to be trash and exploitation but since we added in a few just for fun (like Bombs) that contradict the aesthetic of the challenge, it makes it kind of confusing.
I say "varied" not "confusing".
Old 04-24-14, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm tempted to remove the 3D totally, unless perhaps it can be justified as being a gimmick? Exploiting the audience for a few extra bucks? I love 3D, but honestly they haven't released enough pre-90s 3D to warrant a check item. This challenge is more about watching those Mill Creek sets than the summer blockbusters that happen to be in 3D.
I say keep it where it is as an option. I have lots of downloads of older 3D flicks (even softcore and hardcore) and this was a classic B movie gimmick that just feels so right for this challenge. I hope to watch a couple before the challenge ends.

Also, as I much as I like sticking to the truest trash cinema, the bombs etc. fit in well. I remember a teacher of mine seeing No Holds Barred with Hulk Hogan (which I plan to watch this challenge) at the Drive-In and he said that you "don't go to the drive-in to see good movies. You have shit on your windshield and the thing is usually out of focus. It's just a time to sit back and enjoy a lacklustre or dumb film." That is the true spirit of this challenge, IMO.
Old 04-24-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Decided to at least attempt to make dents in my Mill Creek sets for the rest of this challenge. Though, I won't be focusing on just one set, I'll watch whatever I'm in the mood for. Like today, I'm on my second peplum flick from the Warriors 50 movie set. This morning I watched an Alan Steel Hercules(Maciste), Fury of Hercules, and now I'm watching historical peplum that I may rewatch for the Historical challenge, Caesar the Conquerer, starring Cameron Mitchell.
Old 04-24-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Yesterday, I wasn't able to watch anything (too busy getting ready for a weekend trip), but the day before, I watched Silent Running (1972) on Netflix Instant. Bruce Dern is awesome as Freeman Lowell, a botanist who goes berserk and attempts to save the last remaining forests which are on spaceships.

There's a definite environmental message, but it isn't nearly as preachy or awkwardly handled as many later films (I'm looking at you The Happening and you Happy Feet). In fact the film avoids these trappings mostly by focusing on Lowell as a man going to whatever lengths to preserve the forest he loves. Yes, his goals may be noble, but the way he goes about things highlights an underlying mania. One of the best things about the film are the two drones (named Huey and Louie) that assist Lowell and are just the most adorable little robots.

I will say that the songs abruptly interjected into the film could have been left out. That would have been good. (Not that the songs were bad; they were just used bizarrely.)
Old 04-24-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
What collection is that? I've skipped around so much, I've barely made a dent in any of my Mill Creek sets, and some are still unwatched from when I bought them. One I was looking forward to, Legends of Horror, but since I bought it used, I came up snake eyes on the crap shoot, and since disc one was unplayable, to the point of my DVD player not even registering the disc, I never moved onto another disc, so it was a wasted buy. Oh well, what do you expect for a $3 DVD set.
Old 04-24-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Don't have that one, but one of my unwatched sets is the Drive In Classics 50 movie set.
Old 04-24-14, 02:33 PM

Just watched Jowdorowsky's Dune. Damn, but that would have been perfect for this challenge had it been made.
Old 04-24-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not saying I'll be watching just eligible stuff today, but when I'm not sitting on the porch with my dogs, all I've been doing is watching TV today. I guess when you're depressed, there is nothing else to do. I do housework when it needs done, but mostly I've been just sitting or laying alone today. If anyone cares, the reason my depression has hit so hard today is my mom is in the hospital for bladder surgery, and won't be home until at least tomorrow.
Old 04-24-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched Jowdorowsky's Dune. Damn, but that would have been perfect for this challenge had it been made.
I saw that a couple weeks ago too. I was actually wondering if it qualified as a documentary about a B-movie, even though the movie was never made? I didn't count it though, figuring it wouldn't qualify.
Old 04-24-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Not saying I'll be watching just eligible stuff today, but when I'm not sitting on the porch with my dogs, all I've been doing is watching TV today. I guess when you're depressed, there is nothing else to do. I do housework when it needs done, but mostly I've been just sitting or laying alone today. If anyone cares, the reason my depression has hit so hard today is my mom is in the hospital for bladder surgery, and won't be home until at least tomorrow.
Wow! sorry to hear that, shadokitty. I hope all goes well.
Old 04-24-14, 02:46 PM

Jodorowsky is safe. You can count it. I allow docs on the relevant subjects.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 04-24-14 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-24-14, 03:25 PM

Speaking of gimmicks, today is William Castle's birthday.
Old 04-24-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Roger Corman, yes; Jackie Chan, yes; Shakespeare, yes. But I never thought to celebrate his birthday. Hmmm...I've got HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL handy...why not?
Old 04-24-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pacaway
Wow! sorry to hear that, shadokitty. I hope all goes well.
Thanks. One of my dogs brought home a dead bird today. Hope that's not a sign.
Old 04-24-14, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Roger Corman, yes; Jackie Chan, yes; Shakespeare, yes. But I never thought to celebrate his birthday. Hmmm...I've got HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL handy...why not?
And Tuesday was John Waters. I missed it.
Old 04-24-14, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this over at The Dissolve and thought it might be of interest to all of you participating in the challenge. The American Genre Film Archive (partly run by the Alamo Drafthouse folks) is holding an IndieGoGo campaign to digitally transfer (and eventually restore) several rarely seen exploitation films:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...m-archive#home

The best perk has already been snatched up, but I still support the idea of preserving these films that were conceived as disposable entertainment.
Old 04-24-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
I saw this over at The Dissolve and thought it might be of interest to all of you participating in the challenge. The American Genre Film Archive (partly run by the Alamo Drafthouse folks) is holding an IndieGoGo campaign to digitally transfer (and eventually restore) several rarely seen exploitation films:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...m-archive#home

The best perk has already been snatched up, but I still support the idea of preserving these films that were conceived as disposable entertainment.
Thanks for the heads up; I donated.
Old 04-25-14, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Finally completed the checklist (Only the optional Drive-In pick had to be left out) Anyone else get done with theirs?
Old 04-25-14, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday was not only Castle's birthday but his centennial!

I wish I'd known sooner. I would have scheduled HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL to run on the TV station I program.

Well, I did watch it at least. Great acting, great buildup, good dialogue, very weak payoff.

Julie Mitchum plays one of the invited guests. She's Robert Mitchum's older sister and you can tell. She's cool like Mitchum, too. Too bad she didn't make more movies. This was her last.

Carol Ohmart, as Vincent Price's wife in it, is very good and very attractive too, in an exotic way that should have opened up more roles to her. I wonder why she didn't have more high-profile roles in her career.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-25-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-25-14, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Finally completed the checklist (Only the optional Drive-In pick had to be left out) Anyone else get done with theirs?
I am not done yet, but I am on pace to finish it with about 8 items left other than the optional decades that I probably won't get to.
Old 04-25-14, 12:39 PM

Interesting story on Carol Ohmart. She sounds one apocryphal lobotomy from Frances Farmer.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 04-25-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched another first time view, a Maciste movie where he was actually called Maciste and not Hercules, Son of Samson. Why the Son of Samson helped the Egyptians is beyond me though. He was even more built than Steve Reeves.
Old 04-25-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting story on Carol Ohmart. She sounds one apocryphal lobotomy from Frances Farmer.
Wow, thanks for that link. That explains why she didn't have a higher profile career. As of this writing, she's still alive, 25 years after that article. I hope she's been happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.