DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-14, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Originally Posted by Dimension X
She was the best thing about Ecstasies of Women.
No argument there

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Still no match for my favorite little redhead Drive-In cutie, Debbie Osborne.

Now that I have the DVD out, I think I'll watch one or two of her films tonight.

It made me feel like checking out other films he made around that time to see how many times he shows up in that outfit (obviously those were his own clothes).
I was planning on revisiting Southern Comforts near the end of the month. She only appears in the last half hour of that (In the memorable "Ranch Pageant" scene)

Are those shots from Toy Box?
Old 04-12-14, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Like several others, I too fell under the spell of Miami Connection. There is an energy and earnestness about it that is infectious. Even though everything is so terrible, it all works in some bizarre way. I've been humming the songs ever since and explaining the ludicrous plot to everyone who will listen.

I was also captivated by Beach Party which is just a lot of fun. I was surprised that Morey Amsterdam showed up, but that's not the biggest surprise. I was less impressed with Frogs which features characters reacting in ways that no one would ever react. "Yes, I know several people are dead, but we MUST celebrate my birthday!" It's an interesting setup, but I never felt all that invested or interested.
Old 04-12-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I was planning on revisiting Southern Comforts near the end of the month. She only appears in the last half hour of that (In the memorable "Ranch Pageant" scene)
I watched that one last night. She actually first appears pretty early on in the film (well, about 40 mins in), and is in quite a bit of it (more than I remembered).

Here she is with Monica Gayle.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Are those shots from Toy Box?
I can see why you'd think that, but no, they're from Tobacco Roody.

I skimmed through the commentary on Tobacco Roody to see what Harry Novak had to say about Debbie. The first time she appears, Johnny Legend says "I suppose you're gonna tell me that's a completely authentic redhead, once again," and Harry says he doesn't think she is (but, of course, later on when she gets naked, he lets out with "Look at that strawberry bush!"). Near the end, while she's onscreen, Mike Vraney asked him who "cast all the redheads? Was it you, or Buckalew, or both?" and Johnny Legend joins in, "Yeah, what was it with the redheads?" Harry says, "Well, we like strawberry blondes... plus my clients in Southeast Asia like strawberry blondes."

Apparently that was her last film, and Harry Novak says he never saw her again.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-12-14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-12-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Being in a better mood today, I started early today, with a Three Stooges short. Not sure what I plan to watch the rest of the day, as I have a lot of choices. Probably will just wing it.

ALso curious, I know Hellraiser is considered a cult movie, but how many others would be eligible for this challenge? I have 1-6.
Old 04-12-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

All the Hellraiser films would be eligible. Pretty much any horror is ok, as long as it is not huge Hollywood big budget tentpole type...unless it financially bombs or has < 25% on Rotten Tomatoes (actually 20%, but we have wiggle room, as this is just for fun).

For instance, I'd be reluctant to count The Exorcist, but Exorcist 2 is fine as is all the Italian ripoff films of the 70s.
Old 04-12-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
All the Hellraiser films would be eligible. Pretty much any horror is ok, as long as it is not huge Hollywood big budget tentpole type...unless it financially bombs or has < 25% on Rotten Tomatoes (actually 20%, but we have wiggle room, as this is just for fun).

For instance, I'd be reluctant to count The Exorcist, but Exorcist 2 is fine as is all the Italian ripoff films of the 70s.
Cool, good to know, I haven't watched them in a long time.

I just finished Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark on Netflix and actually enjoyed it. But then, I have a weakness for both shark movies, and mecha, so combining the two of them, seems like the movie was made for me. When the movie ended it listed Sharknado as a recommended viewing. I never saw it when it was on SyFy last year, so was curious, if I decided to watch it, would it be eligible?

Last edited by shadokitty; 04-12-14 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-12-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
What Do You Say to a Naked Lady?, Allen "Candid Camera" Funt's feature film, which from the scenario and theme tune is going to be just brilliant! (Did they clear it with the unknowing..? The gawpers and the leerers...) I was particularly interested by end of the underwear-less ladder climber segment.

EDIT: Halfway through, and it's rapidly climbing up the list of my favourite films! Anyone who can - Amazon Prime has it - should definitely try and find time for What Do You Say to a Naked Lady?. For the scenario, the reactions, the music...
In addition to all the semi-boundary-pushing nudity, and generally amusing reactions and hysterical songs, there were also brief forays into hidden opinions of inter-racial marriage and prostitution. The audience reaction to (segments of) the film were as interesting and telling as the reactions.

Very amusing, very interesting snapshot of a time (and opinions). Many of the older women talked to were MUCH more liberal and understanding than the middle-aged folk, and I was very interested (and heartened) to see - sometimes grudging, sometimes flat-out - acceptance of things like pre-marital sex and mixed-race relationships nearly 45 years ago. Fair enough, it's after the sexual revolution and so forth, but even so...
Old 04-12-14, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've found the worst movie ever. The Alien Dead from 1980 with Buster Crabbe. At least he gets top billing but he's barely in it. Avoid (or watch this month!).
Old 04-12-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoutjunk
...I had a DVD with both Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women and didn't realize that they were both going to be the same movie with a different subplot expanded upon, until somebody mentioned it here. The first had Basil Rathbone (at Mission Control) and Faith Domergue in another spaceship trying to get to the one that had crashed on Venus, while the other had Mamie Van Doren and some other bleached blonde beauties as Venusians. It made for an interesting comparison. I think somebody here mentioned having the original Russian movie that these two were built from, I'm curious to find out if either subplot was utilized there...
That was me...

Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet is the closest to the original and is essentially a edit done to inject well known English speaking actors (Rathbone and Domergue) to replace Russian ones. It keeps the subplot of a woman Cosmonaut left on the ship orbiting Venus while the rest go to the surface. There were only a few shots showing the woman with the two men on that particular ship so this was a easy edit/drop in job. However, you never see any Earth base scenes in Planet of Storms, you just hear the voices of people there giving instruction/advice to the Cosmonauts so this is all new and the instructions/advice are slightly different. There are dialog differences but they are mostly minor and some scenes are shuffled to accommodate the dialog changes and inserted scenes. The last scene where they are leaving Venus is slightly different plot-wise, and a bit contradictory in the US version, but nothing significant.

The subplot in Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women is all new. They used the singing voice, the underwater find of the flying serpent idol, and a hint of female humanoid inhabitants in a scene at the end of the film to create the new subplot elements.

While Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet is essentially the same film "updated" for US audiences I prefer the original. It's a bit more tense and the differences in the quality of the droped in scenes of the US version are very noticible as Masha (Domergue) is *supposed* to be in the ship left in orbit and the set they used bears little resemblance to the original footage. The footage with Rathbone is totally disposable, especially so after you see the original.

I found it interesting that both US versions use most of the dialog from the original almost exactly as it's translated in the subtitles.

It's also interesting that John, the Robot, wasn't programmed with Isaac Asimov's "Three Laws of Robotics" and was going to dump the two Cosmonauts in the lava to save itself until they shut him down. That, too, is in the original.
Old 04-12-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Special Consideration: 3-D films from the 90s and before is very specific but I would like to nominate Harold and Kumar's 3D xmas as a potential fill for this check item.
Old 04-13-14, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Quick question--Does Shaft (1971) qualify for this? I know this got nominated for an Oscar but it is a blackspoltation film. Anyway, watched Crime of Passion (1984) and what an enjoyable perverse film this was. Kathleen Turner and Anthony Perkins had two very memorable roles in the film.
Old 04-13-14, 08:04 AM

Thanks, Bob O'Link for the clarification about Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women. Between the two Voyage movies, I think I prefer the second one. It seemed to incorporate more elements from the original (even if it did stray more from it).

I have another question for you guys. I noticed that some of you are keeping your updated checklist in the list thread by using the "Spoiler" button. How do I do that? It would be nice to have all that together. Thanks!
Old 04-13-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks, Bob O'Link for the clarification about Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women. Between the two Voyage movies, I think I prefer the second one. It seemed to incorporate more elements from the original (even if it did stray more from it).

I have another question for you guys. I noticed that some of you are keeping your updated checklist in the list thread by using the "Spoiler" button. How do I do that? It would be nice to have all that together. Thanks!
Type the word spoiler in brackets, then paste your checklist, and then type a backlash and then the word spoiler again (/spoiler) in brackets afterward.

It should look like this when you type it but use brackets instead of parentheses:
(spoiler) checklist (/spoiler)
and you'll get this result:
Spoiler:
See?
Old 04-13-14, 08:41 AM

Thanks, Ash Ketchum! I'll take care of that as soon as I get home.
Old 04-13-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started early today with an old Gene Autry western on Encore Western, Night Stage to Galveston. It was interesting to see in those days, the bad guys really did wear black hats. Been able to get into this challenge a lot more lately, so I've been watching more. Already on my 3rd movie of the day, Enter the Dragon, classic Bruce Lee. Watching it on M-GO on Roku, as I had 2 free rentals. Also just finished some kaiju, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion. One more movie to go, and I'll have finished the heisei trilogy, unless you count Gamera the Brave, which I also own.
Old 04-13-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Had quite an awesome day at the Calgary Underground Film Festival yesterday, with a whopping 3 titles that I could count for this month!

First they had a Jodorowsky double feature or El Topo and The Holy Mountain, both of which I had not seen before. El Topo was really strange, and I think I preferred The Holy Mountain. It was crazy and strange as well, but I just found it more focused, with some great characters.

Then, at midnight, they showed Late Phases which is a pretty cool werewolf movie. It's a nice change of pace from your usual werewolf fare because the main character has some limitations that make it quite interesting. Don't look for high budget special effects though (and of course you are not, if you're taking part in this challenge). I don't know how many of you will have the opportunity to see it any time soon though, as I don't think it is in wide release yet and is playing the festival circuit currently.

Today is the last day of the festival, and I'm not sure if anything will qualify today, but I have been able to count 6 movies from the festival so far (and I've seen 15), so I'm happy about that.
Old 04-13-14, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Quick question--Does Shaft (1971) qualify for this? I know this got nominated for an Oscar but it is a blackspoltation film. Anyway, watched Crime of Passion (1984) and what an enjoyable perverse film this was. Kathleen Turner and Anthony Perkins had two very memorable roles in the film.
Yes, Shaft qualifies.
Old 04-13-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Speaking of Anthony Perkins, what about Pretty Poison, would it qualify?
Old 04-13-14, 03:45 PM

I watched The Contender (1944), with Buster Crabbe. After seeing The Alien Dead the other night it was pleasing to see him in something (a little) better.
Old 04-13-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Started early today with an old Gene Autry western on Encore Western, Night Stage to Galveston. It was interesting to see in those days, the bad guys really did wear black hats. Been able to get into this challenge a lot more lately, so I've been watching more. Already on my 3rd movie of the day, Enter the Dragon, classic Bruce Lee. Watching it on M-GO on Roku, as I had 2 free rentals. Also just finished some kaiju, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion. One more movie to go, and I'll have finished the heisei trilogy, unless you count Gamera the Brave, which I also own.
GAMERA 3 is friggin' awesome, one of the best kaiju movies ever. And, no, GAMERA THE BRAVE doesn't count. I have no idea what the producers were thinking with that one.
Old 04-13-14, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by pacaway
Speaking of Anthony Perkins, what about Pretty Poison, would it qualify?
Looks ok. Sure.
Old 04-13-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Special Consideration: 3-D films from the 90s and before is very specific but I would like to nominate Harold and Kumar's 3D xmas as a potential fill for this check item.
I am leaning towards yes unless there are strong objections.

And I think I just spotted Dennis Quaid in The Hearse (1980)

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-13-14 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-14-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hadn't watched any Three Stooges in a few days, so started today with a couple shorts. I'm on disc 2 of volume 2 of the Three Stooges collection now. Still have my Shemp collection, and a couple single DVD collections to watch, one of which is a documentary of the history of the Stooges, with some shorts included as well. The documentary is so complete, it even covers their days with Ted Healy.

Discovered yesterday while browsing the Drive In Classics channel on Roku that there is a section devoted to 3 D versions of B movies. Started watching Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet in 3D and HD, but it started to buffer, so decided not to bother last night.
Old 04-14-14, 09:31 AM

I have a question about the movie What Do You Say to a Naked Lady?. I believe when it first came out it was rated X, but Amazon Instant Video is showing it as an R rating. Was there stuff cut out of it to make it R rated, or did the standards relax enough to make it R rated now?
Old 04-14-14, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a question about the movie What Do You Say to a Naked Lady?. I believe when it first came out it was rated X, but Amazon Instant Video is showing it as an R rating. Was there stuff cut out of it to make it R rated, or did the standards relax enough to make it R rated now?
When it came out they were giving the X rating to a lot of things that really didn't deserve it, e.g. MIDNIGHT COWBOY, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, SWEET SWEETBACK... etc. Most mainstream films that were rated X 40 or so years ago got resubmitted and rated R. My guess here is that nothing needed to be cut to make NAKED LADY "R" rated after resubmitting it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.