Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I'm working on the trivia thing. It's pretty tough, but I'm taking a shot? 55 images! Damn, I haven't cracked 20 yet.
im terrible at these as a few i have seen but cant place the title they are from I went over it when it was first posted and i think i was lucky to maybe get 15-20 of them
Old 10-07-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad
And what's up with the lack of responses this year? Sure there's a few more images, but I up the count every year. Nothing new there. I honestly even made an effort to include more recognizable images from mainstream movies in this one.
Here's my two cents. I'm not even trying because I know there's others that will know a lot more than me. Even having it up so early wouldn't help me because it's also giving the ones that know more, even more time. I could put in the effort but the effort outweighs the fun.
Old 10-07-12, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Here's my two cents. I'm not even trying because I know there's others that will know a lot more than me. Even having it up so early wouldn't help me because it's also giving the ones that know more, even more time. I could put in the effort but the effort outweighs the fun.
This. I will watch movies instead.
Old 10-07-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have my own favorite scream queen (although her voice is too awful to effectively scream) and it's Jill Schoelen. She's up next in my queue with Popcorn. Haven't seen this since it was first released on home video in 1991. Excited.
Old 10-07-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Was going to watch Auditions (Full Moon Grindhouse) for Scream queen day but looking at it it looks decidedly un-horror. Too bad, the boob stats could have used the infusion.
Old 10-07-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finished up Puppet Master: The Legacy (2003)

Minus the one tie to a previous film, it felt like a really lazy way to end the series (originally).
Old 10-07-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$5 each at BB after U&S (The Dead $7 with both coupons).
Old 10-07-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Jealous of the Stake Land & Magic pickups! My local Best Buys have never gotten those two titles in
Old 10-07-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Let me know how Innkeepers, The Dead, and ATM are. I was curious about them but didn't want to spend the money that they wanted.
Old 10-07-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
let me know how innkeepers, the dead, and atm are. I was curious about them but didn't want to spend the money that they wanted.
$5?
Old 10-07-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$5?
This was before the U&S program as I've been to Best Buy probably 3 times the other week. With a bunch of their blu-ray Halloween films at like $7.99, some of the titles were like $9.99 to $14.99 and I didn't want to pay that in case the movies were horrible.
Old 10-07-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Be careful what you watch before you go to bed. Last night I watched 28 DAYS LATER and had a dream, very early in my sleep when the dreams are the most nightmarish, in which rats overran my bedroom as I was sleeping. Luckily a cat showed up. This was evidently inspired by the rats-in-the-tunnel sequence in the film.
Old 10-07-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Initially this was my opinion about the banner trivia but it is a lot of fun to look through horror movie poster art just for kicks. There's a lot of cool posters that I've found and it's kind of like a horror Where's Waldo.
Old 10-07-12, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watched my first American film for this challenge: EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC (1977). I saw it in its initial release but after Warner Bros. unceremoniously chopped off the ending to try to salvage it after audiences laughed at it opening night. Instead, my audience got angry. Fortunately, my VHS edition has the complete ending.

I love this movie. I know it's incredibly silly at times and not likely to be taken seriously by hardcore horror fans or the true believers who freaked out at the original EXORCIST. But as a non-Catholic, I find myself much more comfortable with the film's attempt to provide a global element to the spiritual conflict, one that cuts across religious, cultural and national boundaries. I'm not sure why but it has an emotional pull that never fails to move me.

Plus, it's got that great Ennio Morricone score. I'm pleased at the inclusion of a Morricone requirement on the checklist. The 1970s was the golden age of Morricone soundtracks emanating from neighborhood theater screens.
Old 10-07-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just a heads up this airs tonight:

Old 10-07-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Random question about some of the check list categories:

There is a category to watch a flick and its remake, does it matter if you watch the remake first?

There is another category to watch a film and two of its sequels, do they have to be in chronological order? For example, can I watch Friday the 13th 4, 7, and 8 to count for the category?
Old 10-07-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Random question about some of the check list categories:

There is a category to watch a flick and its remake, does it matter if you watch the remake first?

There is another category to watch a film and two of its sequels, do they have to be in chronological order? For example, can I watch Friday the 13th 4, 7, and 8 to count for the category?
no the rules arent that strict watch them in whatever order you want...I know i like to watch the original back to back with the remakes but will watch sequels all over the place
Old 10-07-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 6 review is posted! 3 first time viewings are discussed.

http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...012-day-6.html
Old 10-07-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
Just a heads up this airs tonight:

Way better than previous years.
Old 10-07-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Day 6 review is posted! 3 first time viewings are discussed.

http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...012-day-6.html
bummer hearing about Touch of Death been wanting to see that for awhile.

Theatre Bizzare was a solid anthology i felt. i remember the original trailer and felt it was gonna be a gorefest but upon watching it was pleased as theres quite a variety in the types of stories I wanna re visit it this challenge as i don't remember all the stories but the frog one was fun and remember the last one about the food being interesting. I forgot what it was about but do remember being disapointed by Savini's entry

i got to check out killer klowns today on blu which is a personal favorite of mine and really put me in the mood for The Stuff after....i watch tonights cupcake wars
Old 10-07-12, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by terrycloth

Theatre Bizzare was a solid anthology i felt. i remember the original trailer and felt it was gonna be a gorefest but upon watching it was pleased as theres quite a variety in the types of stories I wanna re visit it this challenge as i don't remember all the stories but the frog one was fun and remember the last one about the food being interesting. I forgot what it was about but do remember being disapointed by Savini's entry

i got to check out killer klowns today on blu which is a personal favorite of mine and really put me in the mood for The Stuff after....i watch tonights cupcake wars
Kudos
Old 10-07-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth

Agreed with your thoughts on Theatre Bizarre. I think Savini's entry may be the weakest but it had a couple moments I thought were cool.
Old 10-07-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta finish up Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers now. What a shock to see a young Paul Rudd!

Originally Posted by onebyone
Watching Psycho right now. No matter how many times I see it, it always impresses me. What a classic.
I'm thinking I may need to pop my Psycho blu-ray's cherry tonight. It's been sitting on my shelf way too long for what is one of my favorites.
Old 10-07-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gp1086
Gotta finish up Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers now. What a shock to see a young Paul Rudd!

I'm thinking I may need to pop my Psycho blu-ray's cherry tonight. It's been sitting on my shelf way too long for what is one of my favorites.
Might as well do it as it will work for the theme night, Scream Queen. And really, Paul Rudd is in Halloween 6...might need to see it now.
Old 10-07-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Taking a little break now, but even though my night's not done yet, today's been my weakest viewing-day thus far:

Kill Katie Malone-Even though he's only in it for about a total of 11 minutes, I still knew it was a bad sign to have Dean Cain included.
Are you scared?-Godawful SAW ripoff (Though it did have a rewind-worthy head-chopping moment)
Night Monster-Zzzzz
Psych:9-Haunted Hospital? Slasher on the loose? Nope, it's just another "It's-all-in-her-head" letdown.

You know it's been bad when Species III ends up being the best film I saw

At least my daily "Extras" turned out to be fun. The Travel Channel showed the making of a Texas maze/funhouse----Which is really making me anxious to experience live-action 3-D. And someone put together a clever edit to the 60's tune, "Ghoul in the school" set to 50's fright flicks. It's awesome.

Alright, back to the challenge. I picked Misty Mundae for my Scream Queen theme and about to start Sinful. No huge expectations, of course.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 10-07-12 at 10:53 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.