Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

Originally Posted by Robert
Ignorance is bliss...
re: DVD vs Bluray picture quality - I think we need to fix the tone of this discussion here. There is a quantifiable improvement in (most) Blurays over DVD (bad transfers not withstanding), but what folks need to understand is that the extra quality available on Bluray is not worth the effort to upgrade all of your library again. The majority of my collection is DVD, and there's a lot of titles I'm collecting that took forever to get onto DVD because of their niche status (like the original Gamera films), and have a very low chance of being released on Bluray at any point in the near future.

For new titles, I generally buy Blu. And for a catalog title just get released for the first time (or its first decent release on home video), I'll lean towards Blu.

But there's a crap-tonne of titles on DVD, especially floating around the used market that have very good transfers and lots of extras, and $5-8 (or less) for one of those is hard to pass up. Plus there's all the Criterion DVDs I've been seeing on the used market that have Blu upgrades. As long as they're 16x9 (when needed), you can bet I'll be buying DVD.
Old 04-30-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kd5
Why is it ignorance? If DVDs provide everything we need, why is it ignorance not to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon? Or are you alluding to the fact that blu-ray has its own bargain bins? -kd5-
His ignorance is making asinine statements like: "I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray." The rest of his post shows he's obviously never watched a movie on blu-ray in a home theater.
Old 04-30-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

His ignorance is making asinine statements like: "I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray." The rest of his post shows he's obviously never watched a movie on blu-ray in a home theater.
It's also ironic to say he doesn't care about DVD vs Blu because he only cares about picture and sound quality. I agree that he's probably not watching on the right equipment or in the right set-up, but no need to revisit the whole "why go Blu if I have XXX TV" debate here.
Old 04-30-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

You are not alone Aceguy.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The majority of my collection is DVD, and there's a lot of titles I'm collecting that took forever to get onto DVD because of their niche status and have a very low chance of being released on Bluray at any point in the near future.
This is why I still buy DVD. Many cult, indie & foreign titles that I have will most likely never see the light of day on bluray.
Old 04-30-12, 12:37 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Why is it ignorance? If DVDs provide everything we need, why is it ignorance not to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon?
Weren't you once complaining about blu-ray's for new movies having special features but the dvds weren't including them? So technically dvds don't have everything thing you need.

Fround it. From the "Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?" thread:
Originally Posted by kd5
Regarding the thread title, it pisses me off that the studios are cutting off alot of the special features they used to include on DVDs in favor of adding all those extras to the blu-rays. 2-Disc SE's are getting scarce because of the push to blu-ray. We're the ones paying for DVDs out here, we're noted for shelling out the extra bucks for 2-Disc SE's, but they don't want to supply our wants or needs anymore, because of the push to blu-ray! Hell, they don't even need to make quite the number of them they used to, but make them dammit! If you make them, we will buy them! -kd5-
Old 04-30-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
It became more advantageous to buy BDs years ago. I've bought dozens and dozens of BDs that were cheaper than their DVD counterparts, more than making up the cost of the player ($40).

I still buy lots of DVDs too. The coexist peacefully in my reality, but it would have been a big mistake of me to not go blu, IMO.
A good balanced perspective. I had hundreds of BDs before I even got a player. I always want to be complete and have the best and that's why I keep my old DVDs that are missing Special Features on the BD. I will even buy some BD 3D even though I'm a long way from have a 3D TV (if the price is right)

BTW, people need to stop attacking others because their perspective is different than yours.

Originally Posted by flansered
Weren't you once complaining about blu-ray's for new movies having special features but the dvds weren't including them? So technically dvds don't have everything thing you need.

Fround it. From the "Why are a lot of dvds being released now with ZERO special features?" thread:
Learn to understand the INTENT of what is said and not to "strain at a gnat"
Old 04-30-12, 01:35 PM

I didn't mean it as an attack, but it's very common on this board for someone to to either post about how they don't see any reason for for them to upgrade from dvd to Blu-ray, and then turn around and talk about how they are upset about things like special features disappearing on dvds. If special features are important to you, then they are a good reason to upgrade. This will be discussed again in 2 months..

But back on topic, I do still by dvds, even though I have a blu-ray player. It's just a reality that certain things will not be released on blu-ray for reason or another, and it would be narrow minded of me to not buy or watch things just because they aren't released on blu. For example, I recently bought the complete series of the Wire, and I had no problem getting it on dvd, especially since the creators have said will only be released on dvd since it won't look any better than it currently does on dvd.
Old 04-30-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I still buy many TV shows on DVD, but it's usually because Blu-rays aren't available - or, in the case of shows like THE SOPRANOS, SMALLVILLE and 24, because only PART of the series has been released on Blu-ray (in which case I'll buy the DVD Complete Series as opposed to going half DVD/half Blu-ray).

Almost all movies I buy on Blu-ray now.
Old 04-30-12, 02:30 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
Doesn't look like you really buy them either.
I started collecting in '05 but I wasn't serious until about late 2010. I barely have chances to expand the collection. Plus, I own a lot of TV shows and a few miniseries and such.
Old 04-30-12, 02:33 PM
Cool New Member

I have in fact not watched Blu-Ray on a good setup. I have watched it though. Now, I'm not saying that Blu-Rays suck because they look and sound just great. I'm just making a point about how good the upscaling can be, and really how ridiculous studios are. When I do own a player, you bet I will start buying them, but they will coexist in my collection. I don't know if I would want to replace my entire collection though.

Last edited by Aceguy; 04-30-12 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-30-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceguy
I started collecting in '05 but I wasn't serious until about late 2010. I barely have chances to expand the collection. Plus, I own a lot of TV shows and a few miniseries and such.
I'm betting most of us with large collections here own at least 100 DVDs that we'll never even watch!!!
Old 04-30-12, 03:08 PM

My TV is a 27" CRT, and although I bought a cheap Blu-Ray player before Christmas, I currently own just 3 BR disks. With the DVD market imploding, it's become necessary to prioritize on titles that may not be available soon and may not go to BR, as opposed to BR titles that aren't going anywhere. Then there's the issue of BR disks that have substantially fewer extras than their DVD counterparts. Unlike many of you, I started my collection around 2006, but even then was primarily buying TV shows and animation. I recently bought copies of The Maltese Falcon 3xDVD and The Terminator 2xDVD for the additional extras, and just noticed the One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 2xDVD also fits this category.

DVD's still have lots of life in them!
Old 04-30-12, 03:18 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I think they have rules here about calling someone (or their comments) ignorant and asinine. Respect?

So what? What does that have to do anything? I said in this thread that I still buy DVDs, that I'm happy with what I have, and that if my DVD player ever dies, I may look into buying a blu-ray player. Why did you feel the need to drag something I said in another thread about being unhappy with the lack of 2-Disc SE DVDs into this thread. Doesn't make any sense.

--------------------------------

You'll never hear me say that DVDs look as good if not better than blu-rays, because I've never watched a movie or TV show on blu-ray. I have no doubt that blu-rays look better than standard DVDs, just like DVDs look better than VHS. I've made my jump from VHS to DVD, I may make another jump to blu-ray. Who knows what the future holds? I sure don't.

-kd5-
Old 04-30-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
So what? What does that have to do anything? I said in this thread that I still buy DVDs, that I'm happy with what I have, and that if my DVD player ever dies, I may look into buying a blu-ray player. Why did you feel the need to drag something I said in another thread about being unhappy with the lack of 2-Disc SE DVDs into this thread. Doesn't make any sense.
His point was that you were saying "If DVDs provide everything we need...", but you have previously expressed your dissatisfaction with new-release DVDs' lack of special features. Therefore it appears that DVD is not providing everything you need.

And Aceguy, there's no need to replace your collection when you start buying BDs.
Old 04-30-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy the occasional Second Run release, but that's it. That's more of an attempt to support the label than anything else though. Checking Amazon, the last DVDs I bought were Lolita and Barry Lyndon in December of 2009. At the time, neither was available on Blu-ray. If MoC releases a DVD-only title that I'm interested in, then I'll buy that, but there have only been a couple of discs fitting that bill in the last year or so.
Old 04-30-12, 07:05 PM

I made the move into Blu Ray late last year, along with purchasing a relatively inexpensive 32" LCD. And while neither were absolutely necessary--my 25" CRT and several DVD players and VHS machines still work fine--I'm glad I made the upgrade. Given a first-class source (Blu Ray or a high quality DVD), the picture quality is superb. The Panasonic Blu Ray (the cheapest in their line) upscales gorgeously, given the right source. But I've learned that not all DVDs upscale well. (Some that you think should don't; others that you think won't do. I was surprised that Lord of the Rings and S5 of Doctor Who lack sharpness; while some 60s and 70s TV seasons look surprisingly good.)

As for what kinds of disks I buy-- Anything that's a good deal that I want, DVD or Blu Ray. Now of course is a terrific time to buy DVDs, with so many so cheap. I simply won't buy any used DVDs for any more than $3 per; or TV seasons for more than $7-8. I'll still buy some new disks when they're on sale.

This is simply a fantastic to be a movie/TV fan and--like a squirrel stocks nuts before the winter comes--I am happily buying DVDs whenever the chance comes.
Old 04-30-12, 09:16 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
His point was that you were saying "If DVDs provide everything we need...", but you have previously expressed your dissatisfaction with new-release DVDs' lack of special features. Therefore it appears that DVD is not providing everything you need.
My point is that I can be happy with my DVD collection, yet still be dissatisfied with the studio's decision to discontinue 2-Disc SE DVDs. That's all I'm trying to say right here, right now, and that only because someone deemed it necessary to drag an unrelated comment from another thread out into this thread for no good reason. There's really nothing more about this that needs to be said. -kd5-
Old 04-30-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still continues to buying DVDs in my collection forever and some I don't care about lack of special feature recent DVDs in the future. I like the DVD more than the Bluray in my collection (don't judge me!). Hope DVD not be dead in the future.

Last edited by JohnnyMovie; 12-02-12 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by kd5
My point is that I can be happy with my DVD collection, yet still be dissatisfied with the studio's decision to discontinue 2-Disc SE DVDs. That's all I'm trying to say right here, right now, and that only because someone deemed it necessary to drag an unrelated comment from another thread out into this thread for no good reason. There's really nothing more about this that needs to be said. -kd5-
It's hypocritical to say that you are unhappy with how dvds are being released in one thread then jump to another thread and say you are satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released (meaning barebones). Personally as long is everyone is happy with what they are getting, whether it's blu-ray, dvd, vhs, or selectravision videodiscs, that is all that really matters.
Old 05-01-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
because I've never watched a movie or TV show on blu-ray.
wtf? You seriously have never watched a movie on BD? They have been around for over 6 yrs! You don't even have any friends who have BD?
Old 05-01-12, 04:19 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

It's hypocritical to say that you are unhappy with how dvds are being released in one thread then jump to another thread and say you are satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released (meaning barebones). Personally as long is everyone is happy with what they are getting, whether it's blu-ray, dvd, vhs, or selectravision videodiscs, that is all that really matters.
You know, I'm getting sick and and tired of this bullshit. Show me where I said IN THIS THREAD that I was "satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released". I said "my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing", which doesn't mean the same thing. I also said that I can be happy with my DVD collection yet still be pissed about the studios decision to discontinue SE's. If you can't be satisfied with that distinction then I don't know what to tell you. But to CONTINUALLY badger and bait me because your interpretation of what I said in another thread doesn't match up precisely with your interpretation of something I said in this thread is not only childish and petty, but it just serves to illustrate the level of immaturity of some of the members of this forum, regardless of their degree of education. It almost seems like you're really trying to get a rise out of me so I'll say something that will get me banned from this forum. It's royally pissing me off and I'm really glad I'll never meet some of you in the real world.

I started out just trying to make a simple reply in this thread based on the OP's question, "Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?" I honestly can't believe some of the petty nit-picking disharmonious bullshit that arose from that. -kd5-
Old 05-01-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator
wtf? You seriously have never watched a movie on BD? They have been around for over 6 yrs! You don't even have any friends who have BD?
Prior to February of this year, I'd never seen anything on BD. On this forum that might be considered unusual, but to the average joe, it's not all that uncommon.
Old 05-01-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Prior to February of this year, I'd never seen anything on BD. On this forum that might be considered unusual, but to the average joe, it's not all that uncommon.
It just seems strange, that after 6 yrs someone doesn't even have 1 friend that owns a BD player. Heck, he can come over to my house some time and we will watch his first movie in HD together...
Old 05-01-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator
I, too, am a member of the "never watched a movie on BD" club. To the best of my knowlege I have *zero* friends who own a BD player. If they do the topic never comes up as we don't tend to watch films together, although we discuss them - *not* in a technical way (i.e. DVD vs BR quality) but plot, characters, etc. I only know 2 people who own a player. One of those is a co-worker and the other is my son. Neither live close enough to me to warrant a special trip just to take a look-see. I've also never bothered to look at one in stores. If they've had one playing I couldn't tell you for a couple of reasons: I totally ignore in-store TV displays of all types (they're annoying) and I'm not in the market to purchase one.
Old 05-02-12, 08:38 AM

I still buy VHS. It's all about content, not format.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.