Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

Old 05-02-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

Originally Posted by kd5
You know, I'm getting sick and and tired of this bullshit. Show me where I said IN THIS THREAD that I was "satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released". I said "my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing", which doesn't mean the same thing. I also said that I can be happy with my DVD collection yet still be pissed about the studios decision to discontinue SE's. If you can't be satisfied with that distinction then I don't know what to tell you. But to CONTINUALLY badger and bait me because your interpretation of what I said in another thread doesn't match up precisely with your interpretation of something I said in this thread is not only childish and petty, but it just serves to illustrate the level of immaturity of some of the members of this forum, regardless of their degree of education. It almost seems like you're really trying to get a rise out of me so I'll say something that will get me banned from this forum. It's royally pissing me off and I'm really glad I'll never meet some of you in the real world.

I started out just trying to make a simple reply in this thread based on the OP's question, "Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?" I honestly can't believe some of the petty nit-picking disharmonious bullshit that arose from that. -kd5-
No one is trying to bait you or play "gotcha" games, friend. I think we just have a disagreement: You think the topics are unrelated and we don't. I agree that there's nothing to be gained by discussing it further.
Old 05-02-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy both, I prefer the Blu rays with a DVD, because my mom still has a DVD player and she can watch the DVD and I can watch the Blu.
Old 05-02-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just counted and I have bought 46 DVDs this year and a TV series on DVD, which I find surprising since it seems most of my purchases lately are Blu ray.

But lets face it, quality issues aside, there are tons of very good to great movies on DVD that most likely will never see the light day on blu or any format again.
Either you love watching and collecting films or you love the technology, at this juncture I feel my DVD collection has more of my favorite movies than my Blu collection , but that is changing with the upcoming Blu releases of Jaws and The Sting.....of course I still have a pretty cool Film Noir collection that I bet I will never see on Blu Ray.
Old 05-02-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I buy both. Alot of what I purchase is TV on DVD. So if I've started that series on regular DVD I continue to purchase it on that format. Same thing goes for my wrestling / MMA dvds.

Now when it comes to movies I have essentially moved over to blu-ray.
Old 05-02-12, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't see the point of a pissing match; Blu-Rays have greater clarity and detail than DVDs. There's no arguing that point. However, the point of owning movies is to own movies, not the disc. If I can get a movie on Blu, I will, but just as many movies never made the transition from VHS, many films will be unavailable on Blu, especially pre-1950 catalog titles.

My rule has always been, buy what makes me happy. Period.
Old 05-02-12, 03:58 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I am usually price driven, but for movies like Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, picture quality is important so I'll wait till I can get the Blu for under 10 no matter how cheap the DVD is. Now if we're talking something like About Schmidt, it not so important.
Old 05-02-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I only upgraded to Blu-Ray 2 years ago. But yes, I still purchase DVDs. There are alot of TV shows that I watch and collect the seasons that don't get Blu-Ray releases....Ex. The Good Wife (and most CBS TV shows), Warehouse 13, Friday Night Lights etc. And alot of times TV on BD is alot more expensive than their DVD counterparts.

Some of the TV shows that I own are actually split between DVD and Blu because the earlier seasons weren't released in the format like 24. I have seasons 1-6 on DVD and 7-8 on BD. If 1-6 get a BD release, I don't think I will upgrade because it will be too expensive and the bonus material will probably just be ported over.

As far as movies go, I've pretty much gone all Blu-Ray. There is an occasional older flick here and there that may not have a BD release that I will pick up.
Old 05-02-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still a DVD Talker, and DVD owner. My living situation doesn't exactly allow me to be a technophile. I don't have the space or luxury for a huge widescreen television, and as others have said here, I can live with content over format.

There's also a vast public out there who don't post to video forums, and many of that public still buys DVDs. If they didn't, then the B&M stores wouldn't offer every film in both formats. If people didn't buy DVDs anymore, why would Criterion or Kino or [insert the majority of labels] even bother giving the public the option to buy, say, Godzilla on DVD? Yes, we have labels like Sony & Synapse who are forcing us into combo packs or BD-exclusive features, and some boutique labels like Twilight Time are going BD-only. You also have boutique labels like Scorpion & Code Red who haven't upgraded to BD, and films like The Survivor & Satan's Slave are still being purchased and reviewed on SD.

Let me figure out the point of my blathering... I guess it comes down to: Everything's relative, and don't assume that internet forums represent the general populace. In fact, no one should assume anything.

Now, if anyone would like to enroll in my online course Format Philosophy 101.....

[And if anyone is somehow angered or offended by my post, that's your problem. I've made no cheap shots. If you disagree with any of my points, try to do it without being an asshole.]
Old 05-02-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Don't own a Blue Ray and don't expect to anytime soon, so yes, I still buy DVDs - I have about 1500 or so of them.
Old 05-04-12, 11:33 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of my collection is still consists of DVDs. However, I am surprised that some folks haven't made the jump to Blu-Ray yet. The improvement in quality is reason enough to upgrade if you can afford it. As a movie lover, why wouldn't you? I get pissed when people say " I am not going to upgrade because then I'd have to replace all my DVDs". That is so not the case, having blu-ray is just another option along with your existing DVDs.
Old 05-04-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

"Am I the only person who still buys VHS?"

I was in Book Off last night and they recently set up a new VHS section in the basement level, with dozens of anime and classic Japanese film titles on VHS. All without subtitles, though. Still, I bought a Yakuza movie with Junko Fuji and Ken Takakura (DUEL OF SWIRLING FLOWERS); an anime movie only previously available as an English dub (GREAT CONQUEST: ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS); and a Russian animation from 1956 (THE TWELVE MONTHS), but dubbed in Japanese. (Hey, I know a helluva lot more Japanese words than Russian words.)
Old 05-04-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.
Old 05-04-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
Most of my collection is still consists of DVDs. However, I am surprised that some folks haven't made the jump to Blu-Ray yet. The improvement in quality is reason enough to upgrade if you can afford it. As a movie lover, why wouldn't you? I get pissed when people say " I am not going to upgrade because then I'd have to replace all my DVDs". That is so not the case, having blu-ray is just another option along with your existing DVDs.
That sums up some of my feelings although I could care less how other people feel about the DVD/Blu-ray debate simply because they are not paying for all my upgrades or the equipment necessary to get the most enjoyment out of the marked up version.

I've been collecting since Sept of '99 and was never an early adopter of Blu-ray. By the time I got around to upgrading I thought of it as a compliment to my DVD collection (which is substantially larger). I've upgraded some favorites and buy the occasional new release on Blu-ray but I just don't buy as much any more, nor do I feel as if it's necessary to upgrade everything because I've found that over time I've only returned to a majority of what I own one or two times, not to mention the expense. With Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster (yes there is actually one in my town), the library, films are just easily, and cheaply, accessible now so I don't feel the need to revisit my heyday of DVD collecting when I was sucking up 2-3 releases per week. But if I'm going to buy and there's a choice of Blu-ray then I will always go with the BD unless I hear an incredibly bad review.

Although to answer the OP 's question, I most certainly still buy DVD but that's mostly because I enjoy older genre films. Recently, I watched Corman's World (on BD) and felt compelled to pick up a few of his films which are only available on DVD (The Intruder, Roger Corman Collection, Hollywood Boulevard). Maybe Shout! Factory will release some of these but why wait? I want to see a film when I have the interest in doing so and I don't want to wrestle with justifying any purchases when the likelihood of these films may never be on Blu-ray. And if any get announced it's more than likely that I will get my money back as genre films tend to maintain their value over time; so I'll sell and upgrade if it's an important enough film to own.
Old 05-04-12, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Regulus
One other thing, If I have a Movie on VHS, and it now comes out on DVD or Blu-Ray, do I run out and purchase a replacement? NO WAY! That would set me back $10.00 or more! My VHS Copy is perfectly good (Even if it's "Full Screen"), and I also adhere to the adage "If it ain't Broke, DON'T FIX IT!"
In my world a movie not in the OAR is broken.
Old 05-04-12, 06:43 PM

Of course I guess in a few years the question might be, "Who buys discs anymore?" I wouldn't mind seeing a Rhapsody Music model in which you pay a monthly fee with access to tens of thousands of movies. As long as I could watch them in hi-def with 5.1 sound I'd be happy. Unfortunately the studios will do everything they can to prevent this music model from transferring to movies.
Old 05-04-12, 07:08 PM
Banned

Streaming sort of makes sense, but only in the short term. What if you want to watch a certain movie in 10 years. You don't have a disc, so you can't watch it that way. So, you go to netflix because you know you saw the movie there. But wait....the movie isn't there any more.

My point is, the movies and tv shows that netflix has right now won't necessarily be there even a year from now. Streaming will NEVER replace actual discs.
Old 05-05-12, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I still buy DVDs and don't have a blu-ray player.

I just like having all one format and for me, blu-ray's aren't THAT different. Plus, I like the collecting aspect of dvds and a lot of rare stuff isn't out on br.
Old 05-05-12, 06:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Streaming sort of makes sense, but only in the short term. What if you want to watch a certain movie in 10 years. You don't have a disc, so you can't watch it that way. So, you go to netflix because you know you saw the movie there. But wait....the movie isn't there any more.

My point is, the movies and tv shows that netflix has right now won't necessarily be there even a year from now. Streaming will NEVER replace actual discs.
My biggest gripes with streaming are quality (I only have a DSL connection), and NO EXTRAS. I'll surely continue to buy or rent physical DVDs. Of course they've taken extras off of a lot of rentals, so buying will always be in the equation.
Old 05-05-12, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
You know, I'm getting sick and and tired of this bullshit. Show me where I said IN THIS THREAD that I was "satisfied with the current way that dvds are being released". I said "my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing", which doesn't mean the same thing. I also said that I can be happy with my DVD collection yet still be pissed about the studios decision to discontinue SE's. If you can't be satisfied with that distinction then I don't know what to tell you. But to CONTINUALLY badger and bait me because your interpretation of what I said in another thread doesn't match up precisely with your interpretation of something I said in this thread is not only childish and petty, but it just serves to illustrate the level of immaturity of some of the members of this forum, regardless of their degree of education. It almost seems like you're really trying to get a rise out of me so I'll say something that will get me banned from this forum. It's royally pissing me off and I'm really glad I'll never meet some of you in the real world.

I started out just trying to make a simple reply in this thread based on the OP's question, "Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?" I honestly can't believe some of the petty nit-picking disharmonious bullshit that arose from that. -kd5-
Just so you know, kd5, you're point was well made and I understood it. You're satisfied with the DVD format and how well it displays movies but not satisfied with how the format is being handled by the studios, such as leaving off added bonus material. Seems to be a growing trend to give people a hard time with a simple post and I can relate to your comments on it. I'm sure some people just like to give a hard time around here but sometimes it's just a misunderstanding of the tone of the post, such as you're making a joke that is perceived as a serious comment. Still, I feel many times it's people that are so devoted to a movie, actor or viewpoint that any comment that doesn't 100% agree to their way of thinking comes across as negative/hostile to them and they strongly react in a bad way. It happens to most of us and sometimes we're the guilty one without realizing it.

Last edited by Pizza; 05-05-12 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather

I agree with you on this. There are a number of movies I simply just want to see, streaming is/can be a great source for this. But for the films that I love, which are way too many, I want that disc for the security of being able to watch that film whenever I want.
Old 05-05-12, 08:33 AM

I've just put a laserdisc on my short "to buy" list. Definitely still buying DVDs.
Old 05-05-12, 10:02 AM

I still buy DVDs and also buy Blu Rays since I have players that can play both. Based on the mass number of DVDs, there will always be DVD players to enjoy them, much like cassette players and turntables still exist today. There is no question that there is a quality difference between the two, but I have no problem with DVD's since I put more emphasis on content over picture quality a lot of the times. I still enjoy buying DVDs usually at great prices which is a great bargain compared to going to a theatre. Its rare that I will buy a title that comes out in Blu Ray, which I already have on DVD, but I still do. It would have to be a title that I really love.
Old 05-05-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First DVD purchased: Aug 1999
First Blu-ray purchased: Aug 2009

Since Aug 2009, I've purchased 334 Blu-rays and 96 DVDs. Of the DVDs, only one is available on Blu-ray: Archer Season 1, originally a Best Buy exclusive. There are some others which are available on Region B Blu-ray and I'm thinking about a region free BD player soon.

A lot of my 334 Blu-rays have been upgrades. We currently have a 46" LCD and will soon upgrade to a 64" Plasma set (much to her chagrin!). As far as I'm concerned, anyone who says, "I cannot see the difference" is either viewing on a small HD set or CRT. Anything larger than 32" and the bump in visuals is significant.

And sound? There's no comparison sometimes. The options on BD make DVD sound like TV speakers. We don't have an awesome set up, but do have 5.1 surround, mounted speakers, etc. If you're listening through your TV's speakers, you're missing out.
Old 05-05-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As my discretionary funds are finite, I will in most cases choose DVD over BD which is usually $5-$10 more, unless there is a compelling reason to splurge (e.g. great cinematography or not a big price difference).
Old 05-07-12, 12:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
Don't own a Blue Ray and don't expect to anytime soon, so yes, I still buy DVDs - I have about 1500 or so of them.
Same here, both sentiment and number.

I just can't get enthused about Blu-Ray, even though I don't doubt the significant video enhancement. Standard DVD is good enough for me, and not buying Blu has the bonus of putting less money in the coffers of Sony (for whom I harbor a grudge for their past heinous actions like rootkitting). For now I am content to continue buying DVDs until we make the inevitable jump to electronic format. The only hazard with that is the possibility that companies will stop making DVDs before the full switch has occurred, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.