Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Slipcovers: What's the interest all about?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Slipcovers: What's the interest all about?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Slipcovers: What's the interest all about?

I like slipcovers, they are pretty and often shiny. I won't pay any money for one but if in a store and given the option I will choose the one with the slip cover so long as it is the same price.
Old 08-02-11, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They dont take up any extra room so I keep them on. Not a problem to me to take them off and put back on when I watch the movie.
Old 08-02-11, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I like slipcovers, they are pretty and often shiny. I won't pay any money for one but if in a store and given the option I will choose the one with the slip cover so long as it is the same price.
I would say the same for me. I do like slipcovers but I am not going to spend any extra effort to get them. For me, if I get one I usually admire it for a minute, mebee show the wife if there is something out of the ordinary about it. Nothing big. I recently bought Hulk Vs. on blu-ray used and was really happy to find out that I got the slipcover. Also, when I bought Birds of Prey not too long on dvd, only one of them had a slipcover and so I promptly took that one. It's preference, but yeah I am not paying extra for it.
Old 08-02-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I like them and keep them on the case. I have a shrink wrap machine and shrink wrap the case over the slip cover, then cut a slot on the bottom to slide the case out.
This keeps the slip from getting worn and keeps dust off the case.
Anyone have a link to a list of hard to find covers?
Old 08-04-11, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I can understand indifference to slipcovers, but it seems every time this topic comes up it's just an invitation for people to express hostility toward slipcovers and slipcover collectors, and to boast about how much they've contributed to our landfills. I'm not going to buy a slipcover on the secondary market and I don't go out of my way to get a slipcover when I buy a DVD or Blu-ray. But, given the choice, I'll take the copy with the slipcover. I think they look a little nicer on the shelves. I think it's because the cardboard obscures the plastic and reminds me of books.

That said, the comment about collectors on that other site is entirely spot-on. I love hitting that site for art to use in my DVD Profiler, and I like tracking my collection there, but otherwise I stay the hell away from their forum. That is one childish group of people who can be very unreasonable about things and someone seriously needs to take away their headbanger emoticon. That they would buy something they've never seen, or even have seen and disliked, just because it has a slipcover is absurd. I shudder to think of what their values and priorities in other subjects might be.

Also, on a side note, our male cat went into heat and sprayed the DVD tower. The slipcovers that were sprayed were a lost cause, but they protected the cases and inserts inside them. Meanwhile, the DVD cases that didn't have slipcovers that were sprayed got hit in such a way that I had to throw away several cases and their inserts. We had him neutered shortly thereafter and it's no longer a concern, but I do like having that extra barrier between my discs and outside elements.