Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Spot Shutting Down

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 04:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No worries, some *****bag is going to launch a site soon!

Last edited by iamiam; 10-20-08 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iamiam
No worries, some douchebag is going to launch a site soon!
Mod note: This type of post, and especially this type of language, is uncalled for.
Old 10-20-08, 06:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by nemein
Mod note: This type of post, and especially this type of language, is uncalled for.
I did not name any names but people can read and judge for themselves.
Old 10-21-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

delicious library
Old 10-21-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by The Monkees
Fortunately I had my entire collection in DVDaf as well, but I liked DVDSpot better. I'm not paying for DVDProfiler, and I'm also using this new place called ChasingtheFrog.com too.
I like DVDspot too,luckily I only had a small portion of my collection there.

I'm going to try Chasingthefrog too,I don't like the way DVDAF is set up.

thanks for finding that site.

Joeyseven
Old 10-21-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Or maybe someone will convert it all into an offline database, allowing us to keep the same format and all on our home computers.
That's on my to-do list.

I'd be interested in DVDProfiler but if I'm gonna put any work into getting my catalog up and running again, I'd also want to keep track of my CDs, games, books and any arbitrary collections.

Last edited by mnementh; 10-21-08 at 01:11 AM.
Old 10-21-08, 04:42 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Rats. I just went to DVD Spot to add a few movies, saw that the site was down, and then found this thread. Too late to back anything up , although I maintain a similar list on DVDAF for just this situation.

I wish they had sent a notification email before shutting fown. Guess I should come to this forum more often
Old 10-21-08, 11:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroiinu
Rats. I just went to DVD Spot to add a few movies, saw that the site was down, and then found this thread. Too late to back anything up , although I maintain a similar list on DVDAF for just this situation.

I wish they had sent a notification email before shutting fown. Guess I should come to this forum more often
Yeah, it wasn't a whole lot of notice, like 2 weeks. Message on your spot homepage if you logged in there. They should have done a mass email.

As for not checking DVDtalk often enough, I learned long ago that I usually regret it if I don't check the main forum and the bargain forum at least once a day each. But then if you really don't want to miss bargains, I hear you have to check fatwallet and a couple other forums daily, or even hourly.
Old 10-29-08, 01:09 PM

OK, I know they made a 2-week notice (or how much?), but what if someone wasn't visiting the site for a while like me? Now all my collection is gone (but that's not the worst thing 'cos I have it in Excel as well), but I also was keeping track of movies I watched, with dates etc. Hundreds just vanished with DVDspot and I've no idea how I'm gonna recover that information. Why couldn't they just leave some saved copy of their pages? I'm destroyed...
Old 10-29-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ChasingtheFrog.com doesn't seem any better than DVDAF
Old 10-29-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Giggles,
do you know of some Russian or European DVD organizational site? And speaking about your info you lost, you listed the dates of the times you watched your films? What for?

Snowmaker,
Chasingthefrom.com basically looks better - more pleasing to the eye - than DVDAF.
Old 11-02-08, 06:48 PM
MGR

OK so I've been offline and otherwise occupied for about 6 weeks, so have just discovered that DVDspot is gone. *poof*. I'm really in shock right now.

Luckily I did export a .cvs file earlier in the summer, so that's only slightly out of date.

I just would like to know what the "other great web properties" are that CNET (or whoever it is that owned and dumped DVDspot) is focusing on. So that I can be sure I'm not using them or visiting those sites whatsoever.

On Wednesday October 15th DVDSpot will be closed permanently. This decision was made to allow us to focus on other great web properties. We sincerely appreciate everyone's contribution to the DVDSpot community and hope you enjoyed the free services it provided. We understand many people will not want to lose their personal collection data, so we remind you that you can export that data to file by going to Membership Tools while logged in and clicking the Export to File button. This will create a file with all movies in your Owned and Watched lists. Also keep in mind the editor system for approving DVD additions and edits has been disabled, so no new or edited DVDs will be added.
Old 11-03-08, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Giggles,
do you know of some Russian or European DVD organizational site? And speaking about your info you lost, you listed the dates of the times you watched your films? What for?
Hey toddly! No, I haven't come across any European (I'm not even mentioning Russian) sites similar to dvdspot or dvdaf. Most collectors from Europe I know either don't bother at all organizing their collections or actually do so in their blogs (which can look rather cute, but I bet time-consuming).

And I kept all the dates of watched films just because it's interesting. For example now I'd like to know when was the first time that I watched Terminator (back in 1991 I guess) or how many times I watched it in general. Besides I could always take a look at dvdspot to make sure I've already seen a certain movie if I was not sure Or keep track how many films I've seen during a year...
Old 11-13-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Weird. What happened to the .com post?

709 title(s) were added to your personal list but 43 title(s) were ignored as they were not in our database.
43? Crap!

Edit: Is there a reason the site is deleting the name of the site?

Is there a conspiracy that I don't know about?

Last edited by Darth Maher; 11-13-08 at 06:42 PM. Reason: checking for a conspiracy theory...
Old 11-13-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Maher
Weird. What happened to the .com post?

43? Crap!

Edit: Is there a reason the site is deleting the name of the site?

Is there a conspiracy that I don't know about?
I noticed that message was deleted too. I looked at the user list on the site that shall remain unnamed and that person doesn't look to be the owner of the site.

Definitely a conspiracy...
Old 11-13-08, 07:01 PM

Wow, that site could turn out to be a lifesaver. dvd count dot com took my dvdspot backup csv file and accepted most of it.

Not nearly as pretty as the spot, and I haven't played with it at all yet, but this looks promising.
Old 11-13-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
I wonder if they are prepared for all of us to set up shop there.
Old 11-13-08, 09:57 PM

I still haven't messed with it much, but if they make it easy to add titles, and the new releases are pretty much there without me having to add mainstream stuff, I think I might be sold.

Sure, it's basic and not at all pretty. But if it allows us to keep a good list of our titles, and easily share it online, it just may be my next "spot".

They must have spammed the forum here trying to promote themselves, so therefore the site name is blocked. Hopefully that was their only offense, some over anxiousness.
Old 11-14-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm officially a fan of "count".
Old 11-15-08, 10:19 AM

Could somebody PM this "count" address please?
Old 11-15-08, 10:57 AM

I put it pretty clearly just four posts up. Just use count instead of spot. I'm really hopeful about this site.
Old 11-15-08, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I put it pretty clearly just four posts up. Just use count instead of spot. I'm really hopeful about this site.
So can anyone edit the movie details and thumb? So you could log on to find some kid went and changed all the details of all your movies? Or once they are in your collection then nobody can change your details? The reason I ask is because I wasn't even signed in and was given the ability to edit a movie
Old 11-15-08, 11:35 AM

FYI, forum filters won't even let us add it to our signatures.
Old 11-15-08, 11:43 AM

"count" looks very promising but anyone can go behind you and edit/change the details and thumbnail image to what ever they want. So you could spend hrs adding your collection and details only to have some jerk come behind and erase it all. I'll definitely add it to my favorites but will wait for it to be more refined before spending any time adding titles.
Old 11-15-08, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MikeAK
"count" looks very promising but anyone can go behind you and edit/change the details and thumbnail image to what ever they want. So you could spend hrs adding your collection and details only to have some jerk come behind and erase it all. I'll definitely add it to my favorites but will wait for it to be more refined before spending any time adding titles.
Wanted to let everyone know that I have sent in feedback about this issue and have since been told by the creator that he has changed the code so that only a user can edit their titles, so once a title is added to your library it can't be edited by anyone else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.