DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD Spot Shutting Down (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/540661-dvd-spot-shutting-down.html)

rmick 09-29-08 02:28 PM

DVD Spot Shutting Down

Shocked there isn't already a thread on this. Just logged on to DVDSpot to find this:

On Wednesday October 15th DVDSpot will be closed permanently. This decision was made to allow us to focus on other great web properties. We sincerely appreciate everyone's contribution to the DVDSpot community and hope you enjoyed the free services it provided. We understand many people will not want to lose their personal collection data, so we remind you that you can export that data to file by going to Membership Tools while logged in and clicking the Export to File button. This will create a file with all movies in your Owned and Watched lists. Also keep in mind the editor system for approving DVD additions and edits has been disabled, so no new or edited DVDs will be added.

Bigsierra 09-29-08 02:30 PM

I was about to post the same thing. I was doing searches to see if it showed up anywhere else.

Jaymole 09-29-08 02:30 PM

You beat my thread by a few seconds...moderators please delete mine.

MTRodaba2468 09-29-08 02:32 PM

It's a shame. Good thing I also have a DVDAF account...

NoirFan 09-29-08 02:42 PM

Bummer. Their statistics were handy.

smashthesymbols 09-29-08 02:49 PM

Well that sure sucks. Now where do I go to catalogue my collection? At least we get enough warning to make back ups of everything.

rmick 09-29-08 02:51 PM

I am now returning to DVD Aficionado. Updating is quite the chore.

kms_md 09-29-08 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols (Post 8971503)
Well that sure sucks. Now where do I go to catalogue my collection? At least we get enough warning to make back ups of everything.

i would recommend DVD Profiler.

Matthew Ackerly 09-29-08 02:52 PM

that SUCKS

chris_sc77 09-29-08 02:56 PM

This is horrible. All the time I spent logging in all 2600+ DVD's of mine and now I have no idea what I am going to do.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 09-29-08 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols (Post 8971503)

I use Movie Collector from www.collectorz.com

This way I don't have to worry about an online site going offline and losing everything or having to backup stuff. If my internet goes down I can still access my collection.

It also exports so you can have an online collection which doesn't look too bad. Here's mine misterpeepers.99k.org

I was also using DVD Spot for a different list I was keeping track of and it was also cool to see how many people owned what.

Darth Maher 09-29-08 03:01 PM

I am sincerely BUMMED!

I stopped entering my DVDs into my DVDProfiler account quite a while ago because I never used it and for some reason, it never sized right to my monitor. It was a big pain in the rump. Now, I guess I'll have to go crawling back. I really dislike DVDAF.

Seriously... I am sincerely bummed!

xfilekr 09-29-08 03:09 PM

NOOO!!!!! I loved DVDspot, all the stats, and keeping track of my dvds.....all 1,773 Titles So if I backup file from dvdspot where is the best new place to upload it to? Please dont tell me I have to enter all those again somewhere!

Can someone briefly outline the pros and cons of using Profiler over Aficionado?
DVD Profiler looks amazing, and I dont mind paying...but is it online for others to look at?

clckworang 09-29-08 03:11 PM

I came very close to putting my account on DVD Spot. I guess I'm glad I held off. I definitely empathize with all of you who are going to have to move your collection. That really sucks. :(

Rockmjd23 09-29-08 03:13 PM

I use Dvdaf more but I had Dvdspot as a backup, plus I liked their stats.

visitor Q 09-29-08 03:13 PM

Wow! That really is a damn shame. To think it was only laziness that kept me from uploading my collection onto DVDSpot.

I fully intend to donate some cash to maintain my DVDAF collection as soon as I can get some extra funds available. Spot's closing its doors is just another example why it's relevant financially supporting sites such as these in some way.

At least I can respect Spot for making the announcement instead of fading out like Guzzlefish did ..IIRC.

fumanstan 09-29-08 03:21 PM

Glad I didn't fully move my collection over there. I've been lax on keeping DVDAF up to date, but i'll probably start using it again.

pinata242 09-29-08 03:25 PM

Dammit. Although I haven't kept up nearly as much as I should be anyway (let alone buying much anymore), it was always nice to have a remote collection. I don't think I'll be bothered to do it again anywhere else...

Bill Needle 09-29-08 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by kms_md (Post 8971512)
i would recommend DVD Profiler.

seconded

toddly6666 09-29-08 03:32 PM

So we will be able to export all the info/specs/upc info of the dvds or just the names of the dvds?

What's the second best DVD categorizor site for adding foreign dvds in which you can see the photos right next to the info? I don't like how DVD profiler is laid out....what's the second best one after dvdspot, and the easiest one also? I remember that DVDProfiler is sort of a pain in the ass to add dvds.

vcuram 09-29-08 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher (Post 8971547)
I am sincerely BUMMED!

I stopped entering my DVDs into my DVDProfiler account quite a while ago because I never used it and for some reason, it never sized right to my monitor. It was a big pain in the rump. Now, I guess I'll have to go crawling back. I really dislike DVDAF.

Seriously... I am sincerely bummed!

+ a lot. DVDAF blows.

Kory 09-29-08 03:40 PM

Man, this fucking sucks. I've used a bunch of different sites like this but I've found DVDSpot to be far and away the best. I wonder if it's possible for someone else to take over for them? Garrrrrrghhhhh...

smashthesymbols 09-29-08 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q (Post 8971580)
Wow! That really is a damn shame. To think it was only laziness that kept me from uploading my collection onto DVDSpot.

I fully intend to donate some cash to maintain my DVDAF collection as soon as I can get some extra funds available. Spot's closing its doors is just another example why it's relevant financially supporting sites such as these in some way.

At least I can respect Spot for making the announcement instead of fading out like Guzzlefish did ..IIRC.

I doubt I'll be going back to DVDaf since I hate their design but I really hope they're prepared to deal with this. I suspect they'll be getting a sudden influx of new accounts and old dormant accounts suddenly coming back to life.

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 8971624)
So we will be able to export all the info/specs/upc info of the dvds or just the names of the dvds?

The export function on DVDSpot exports the following information:

upc,title,custom_title_sort,rating,review,source,price,owned,owned_date,owned_custom,watched,watched _date

That's all you'll get. It doesn't export multiple viewings of a DVD either, just the most recent apparently. It also dumps your entire wishlist into your collection with absolutely nothing to separate the two.

Living Deadpan 09-29-08 03:44 PM

To think, not just the time cataloguing my DVDs, but taking the time to add & update DVD info. 79 tickets! Which, granted, is nothing compared to those whose contributions to the site rank in the thousands. But still, I liked the idea that I was adding to an informational database.

Oh well, I guess I'll keep my contributions to IMDB from now on. Because that's one movie database that's bound to last a lifetime. Right? RIGHT?!

NoirFan 09-29-08 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan (Post 8971658)
To think, not just the time cataloguing my DVDs, but taking the time to add & update DVD info. 79 tickets!

I added a couple dozen R2 titles, but stopped once I noticed no one else had added any of them or shown any interest in R2 stuff on their forums. As far as everyone bashing DVDAf, they've made some major improvements recently in an attempt to create more of a community. Their cover art is always of high quality, unlike the often blurry low res covers at DVDSpot, and I've only had to add a few titles to their database.