Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Scene Missing from new Ace Ventura DVD

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
Can someone please remind me what scene this is? I don't remember it.
Second part of this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=appdrFIDV9k
Old 09-05-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember that scene either.
I'll probably pick it (the DVD) up though
Old 09-05-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
I recommend you never ever ever post in a Star Wars thread.
Ironically, people in this thread are acting the opposite of the majority of Star Wars fans, preferring an altered version of the film and slamming the studio for releasing the original theatrical version of the film in anamorphic widescreen.
Old 09-05-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Exactly, what's the big deal over a missing scene, I understand but come on already. I am so buying this, I don't care about that missing scene. I have waited nearly a decade to own Ace Ventura in Widescreen and I would love to get rid of that nasty FS snapper, and now.

Consider it sold!
Same unsound logic as "oh well, the OT may not be in anamorphic, but it's the OT, on DVD, yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's just silly. Studios should be releasing proper, COMPLETE releases. I understand that this scene is not in the theatrical version, but it's become so ingrained in fans of the movie that to leave it out is an abomination.
Old 09-05-06, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There seem to be lots of deleted scenes but they were all shown on network TV. As I've only seen the film on cable, I've seen only the theatrical version. If a SE comes out later, I'll get that too, for the deleted scenes.
Old 09-05-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
all i ever saw was theatrical version, never bought or saw the full screen copy or hbo.

so this works for me.

just watched the entire version of that scene from the youtube link.
it's funny but it's too long and stops the scene. good cut to me.
Old 09-05-06, 12:01 PM

This is the version that was intended to be seen by the director. Stop complaining.
Old 09-05-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dont remember that last scene either!
Old 09-05-06, 02:09 PM
Bye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That really sucks. It's worth it to have the film in widescreen and with commentary, but that was a fantastic scene that according to Tom Shadyac was improvised by Jim. Come to think of it, has anyone checked to see if the commentary on this disc is the same as the previous release?

I'm all for getting rid of snappers, but the artwork on this package is so generic I wanna puke. I'll be keeping both snappers, and since I have an "Asian import" of the sequel that's a single-sided disc with artwork, I'll probably keep that as well.

So much could have been done with this release -- lots of deleted scenes from the TV version, behind-the-scenes stuff, etc. I'm really disappointed in this release, and I doubt that the bonus disc with episodes from the animated series even brings it up to being worth the $12.99 I paid for it. I just had to feed my addiction, though.
Old 09-05-06, 02:43 PM

I guess I forgot that the dolphin trainer scene wasn't in the original film (although for some reason I do remember a scene where Ace has a fight with all the security guards when he first arrives at the stadium).

Anyway, it's a good scene and I wish they had included it as a deleted scene. To bother with a new widescreen transfer and then not include deleted scenes seems kind of half-ass to me.
Old 09-05-06, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Received 718 Likes on 476 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Same unsound logic as "oh well, the OT may not be in anamorphic, but it's the OT, on DVD, yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That's just silly. Studios should be releasing proper, COMPLETE releases. I understand that this scene is not in the theatrical version, but it's become so ingrained in fans of the movie that to leave it out is an abomination.
Amazing.
Old 09-05-06, 03:35 PM

Was the widescreen LaserDisc release the theatrical or home video version?
Old 09-05-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
The dolphin scene is the best, and I remember when I got it on VHS in '95 being so suprised cause HBO never showed it. When he says he is Hans Skits Velvet, that is classic Jim Carrey.

Who is this George Lucas putting out this version of Ace Ventura? What is the dolphin like Han shooting first now?
Old 09-05-06, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hans shot first.
Old 09-05-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This thread is proof of the hypocrisy and just how people won't be happy. Star Wars as already mentioned, is being blasted for not having the original theatrical cut out, and Ace Ventura is being blasted for releasing the theatrical. Absolutely amazing.

Not everybody is going to agree here, as with any debate. If it was still included some people would moan over wanting the original theatrical edition of the film and the conversation would look something like this:

"What's the big deal, so what if it's not the theatrical version. That scene is funny and has been a part of the home video release since first released on VHS."

"That's exactly the problem. We've been robbed of having the original theatrical cut on home video ever, there's never been a proper home video release of the theatrical cut. Won't studios learn from Star Wars mistake? It seems almost suicide not to include the theatrical cut."

Now me, I agree, it was a pretty funny scene. I liked it and I'll miss it. But it's Ace Ventura in a digitally remastered widescreen release... fine by me. The fact that I own the original version of the film, as it was MEANT to be seen, doesn't bother me. For both movies and the cartoon series, it's only 12.99 at Best Buy this week. They could have special editioned this up and charged us full price for each film. They didn't, and I have a better version of Ace I'll actually want to watch on my HDTV... good enough.
Old 09-05-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What mzupeman said. I was thrilled with finally getting rid of that foolscreen snapper, and for only $12.99, my HDTV will welcome it as well.
Old 09-05-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,240 Likes on 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
This thread is proof of the hypocrisy and just how people won't be happy. Star Wars as already mentioned, is being blasted for not having the original theatrical cut out, and Ace Ventura is being blasted for releasing the theatrical. Absolutely amazing.

Not everybody is going to agree here, as with any debate. If it was still included some people would moan over wanting the original theatrical edition of the film and the conversation would look something like this:

"What's the big deal, so what if it's not the theatrical version. That scene is funny and has been a part of the home video release since first released on VHS."

"That's exactly the problem. We've been robbed of having the original theatrical cut on home video ever, there's never been a proper home video release of the theatrical cut. Won't studios learn from Star Wars mistake? It seems almost suicide not to include the theatrical cut."

Now me, I agree, it was a pretty funny scene. I liked it and I'll miss it. But it's Ace Ventura in a digitally remastered widescreen release... fine by me. The fact that I own the original version of the film, as it was MEANT to be seen, doesn't bother me. For both movies and the cartoon series, it's only 12.99 at Best Buy this week. They could have special editioned this up and charged us full price for each film. They didn't, and I have a better version of Ace I'll actually want to watch on my HDTV... good enough.

I would never have suspected this thread would have gone on so long. I expected to click on the thread and see the first response post somthing along the lines of "that was just a deleted scene added back into the film (possibly to pad the runtime?), the Theatrical verison didn't contain that and I wouldn't expect this version to contain it either."

Now the fact that it isn't in a deleted scenes section, well that's another story, but I've never not bought a DVD because it didn't contain all the deleted scenes.
Old 09-05-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh well. I'll just put my snapper release dvd inside the new release and BAM! Instant deleted scene.
Old 09-05-06, 05:12 PM

So how is this new transfer????????
Old 09-05-06, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
For both movies and the cartoon series, it's only 12.99 at Best Buy this week. They could have special editioned this up and charged us full price for each film. They didn't, and I have a better version of Ace I'll actually want to watch on my HDTV... good enough.
Does the cartoon series come packed in this ...

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=WBD080434

Or is that some kind of Best Buy exclusive?

If it's in that set, I'll prob just get it from DDD and save some gas money.
Old 09-05-06, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by maggi
So how is this new transfer????????
Haven't watched it all the way through, but it looks good to me.
Definitely an improvement over the original FS release. Looks a lot cleaner. Here's a picture comparison:

[not the same exact frame from each disc, but close enough for you to get an idea of what it looks like..]

Oh, and the new animated menus are a nice touch.

And Maklershed, I don't think that the Animated Series Bonus Disc was a Best Buy Exclusive. It didn't say anything about it in the ad or at the store.
Old 09-05-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i saw the bonus disc at wal mart today.
Old 09-05-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd pay to see Ace Ventura: Pet Detective in Widescreen at the theater again, so I paid only $13 and change for this baby, and it was well worth it. Nice dvd set for the $$$!

It was so great to watch Ace 1 in Widescreen, yippe! Jim rocks as this cartoon like character, amazing physical comedy.
Old 09-05-06, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sh*t, i love that german dolphin trainer scene -- probably among the top three funniest moments of the movie. now i gotta hold onto the P/S version just for the scene.

wish they included the TV-only scenes as bonus. oh well, maybe the next version they'll get right. no love for acey at WB.
Old 09-05-06, 10:31 PM
Bye

Personally, I think the animated menus suck. Also, am I the only one who thinks the original transfer of "...When Nature Calls" looks better? At least in the opening scene, everything looks too blue. I've heard of "yellow-layer failure", could that have happened, at least slightly, to the print used for the new digital transfer? There just doesn't seem to be as much range of color in the opening scene. Instead of a blue sky and brownish mountains, the mountains look bluish as well. You can hardly even tell that Ace is wearing a yellow shirt -- kind of looks like someone thought it was supposed to be white and used it as a white reference when color-balancing the film. Do my eyes deceive me?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.