DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Scene Missing from new Ace Ventura DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/476625-scene-missing-new-ace-ventura-dvd.html)

GunsGermsSteel 09-04-06 04:03 PM

Scene Missing from new Ace Ventura DVD

So my local Best Buy broke Street Date on this set and while I'm happy to finally have Ace Ventura in widescreen, there's a scene missing. The scene in question is when Ace is pretending to be the dolphin trainer. For those that are planning to pick it up, I would really appreciate it if you would post about whether or not your copy has this scene so I can know if I just got a bum copy or whether we all got ripped off by Warner Bros.

GreenVulture 09-04-06 04:06 PM

This may answer your question, from IMDb:

"Original Theatrical Release during the scene when Ace inspects Snowflakes tank, he only sneaks out and finds the missing stone from Finkle's ring. In the home video version, he jumps out and prentends to be Hans, the Dolphin Trainer. The HBO version shows the Theatrical Version."

Still though, that is a shame. The dolphin trainer bit was a great little scene.

Dalvin 09-04-06 04:20 PM

That is a shame.

No Hans=No Sale

waylonsmithers 09-04-06 04:22 PM

I don't see why they couldn't have used branching to both include theatrical and home video versions.

DeanoBKN 09-04-06 04:36 PM

Easy guys. It only took them 8-9 years to give us the movie in widescreen. I figure this extra scene warrants, at least 4-5 years before another re-release. ;)

TheMovieman 09-04-06 04:40 PM

Yeah, once they add that back in, they can call it the "Unrated Version" and add on the package: "The Version They Didn't Want You to See"

CertifiedTHX 09-04-06 04:40 PM

Well, that destroys the deal for me. Was pondering this release, but that scene gave me one of the biggest laughs of the entire movie. When Ace does the German trainer bit--

To train ze dolphin you must zink like ze dolphin! You must be getting inside ze dolphin's head. I am saying to Snowflake, "Akay!... Akay Akay Akay?" und he is saying "Akay Akay!" (from IMDb)

--I lost it. Hilarious bit.

Doesn't sound like they really tried with this. The extra TV footage that could have been included, theatrical/extended cuts....

Oh well. Saves me some money.

--THX

JOE29 09-04-06 06:19 PM

That destroy's the deal for me also, that's a great scene, i'm glad I held on to the original release, although it's full frame. I'ts alot worse not having that scene on the dvd. No sale for me either, and I was real close to getiing it also, thanks guy's you saved me .

DVD Josh 09-04-06 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JOE29
That destroy's the deal for me also, that's a great scene, i'm glad I held on to the original release, although it's full frame. I'ts alot worse not having that scene on the dvd. No sale for me either, and I was real close to getiing it also, thanks guy's you saved me .

Might be my favorite scene in the whole film. I fart on this release.

Egon's Ghost 09-04-06 06:56 PM

Dammitalltohell. Spank you, Warner!

milo bloom 09-04-06 07:10 PM

Hmm, don't think I've ever seen that scene in question. As long as it's the theatrical in 16x9, I'll still pick it up sooner or later.

Wick 09-04-06 07:17 PM

What bullshit.

SterlingBen 09-04-06 07:43 PM

Guess you'll just have to break down and pick up the VHS

Doughboy 09-04-06 07:48 PM

Hey, technically WB is giving us the original theatrical version in widescreen. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Of course, it wouldn't have been that difficult to offer the Hans scene(along with additional deleted footage) as an extra.

GIjon213 09-04-06 07:53 PM

This just sucks. I mean, what reason would they not include that. Wait, I already know. It is so the Uber edition can still be sold to all those who are willing to shell out money for it...

Cameron 09-04-06 07:57 PM

mabe they couldn't find a copy of the scene in question....only a full frame master of the scene....should have put it in as a deleted scene though...

visitor Q 09-04-06 08:12 PM

This is one time when I wouldn't find it a far stretch for a studio to set up a fan site that would ask it's fans which version to include or not include in a future DVD release. Yeah it's the original version .. but, um .. so?

Thanks to the OP for the post .. I'll be avoiding this release :(

Mr. Cinema 09-04-06 08:31 PM

I'm still getting this set, but I'll also hold onto the VHS release, which has this scene intact.

jmj713 09-04-06 08:50 PM

Under 13 bucks for a 3-disc set? Getting it without deleted scenes!

Julie Walker 09-04-06 08:53 PM

I never saw it in theaters,so I always thought the finale sequence in the film was the added moment. Since it appears like it's about to fade to the credits,and then goes into the final football sequence of the film.

So it's kind of a shame the 'hans' bit is missing,since I always found it funny myself. But I can probably live with out it for the time being and still have the VHS somewhere.

Maklershed 09-04-06 09:14 PM

That's crazy .. that's pretty much my favorite scene of the movie

firteen88 09-04-06 09:25 PM

Can someone please remind me what scene this is? I don't remember it.

Gizmo 09-04-06 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by firteen88
Can someone please remind me what scene this is? I don't remember it.

See post #7

dvd_luver 09-04-06 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Easy guys. It only took them 8-9 years to give us the movie in widescreen.

Exactly, what's the big deal over a missing scene, I understand but come on already. I am so buying this, I don't care about that missing scene. I have waited nearly a decade to own Ace Ventura in Widescreen and I would love to get rid of that nasty FS snapper, and now.

Consider it sold!

The Cow 09-04-06 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Exactly, what's the big deal over a missing scene, I understand but come on already.

I recommend you never ever ever post in a Star Wars thread. :)