Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What makes a "true collector" of DVD's and are you?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What makes a "true collector" of DVD's and are you?

Old 02-02-06, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got Short Circuit in their collection?

That film is so good. :/
Old 02-02-06, 12:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
I...Dig...Movies! (said like Billy Crudup's Russell Hammond in "Almost Famous" when he uttered the phrase "I Dig Music!")

all types too. from foriegn and little known indies to mega-blockbusters. i love them all, except for the ones i don't like.

i collect the movies i really want and that includes blind buys that i am almost positive i will like. i have yet to find a blind buy i dislike, thankfully. i don't get to watch them all, all the time, but i love that i have them to watch whenever.

i love seeing them, rearranging them, and talking about them. it is fun and keeps me off the streets.

i have about 500 now, some rare and highly collectible and some downright cheesy and sad. but, i don't have them because they are that way, i have them because i at least like the movie within.

so am i a "true collector"? i think so. it really all comes down to...

I...Dig...Movies!
Old 02-02-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I considered myself a true collector when I stopped renting and started buying. Or am I a "false collector"?

I guess I don't understand the question.
Old 02-02-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me the idea of a "true collector" is a meaningless concept. If you're a collector you're a "true collector". A fair question might be what seperates a collector from someone who just has some DVD's. Not much, really. I think the line is pretty fuzzy, but taking an above average interest, or treating it as a hobby might be some critieria. I do think that there is such a thing as a "serious" collector. I would call many of the people here who are building libraries serious collectors, but I also think that anyone who says they are one is, whether or not they seem that way to me. I may think of someone as a serious collector, but who am I to tell someone else who thinks they are that they're not?
Old 02-02-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ArchibaldTuttle
I think collecting dvds is a waste of time but mostly money. I rent mostly, and buy the movies that I know I will want to watch several times. I can't relate to the people on here who have stacks of unwatched, unopened dvds, that doesn't make sense to me.
It doesn't make sense to you because you're not a collector. I'm sure if you told us your favorite activities / money sinks, we'd find something about it we don't relate to.

I have so many unwatched because I just don't have time to watch them right now, but I buy when they're on sale. If I have the money to afford it now, it's bad spending to say "since I don't have time to watch it right now, I'll wait until I do have time and I'll spend $5-10 more to get it."

Also, while I might not be interested in watching it now, it's nice to know that if I want to watch (for example) Stargate SG-1 season 4 at 1 in the morning, I don't have to worry about Best Buy being closed, or throwing clothes on to run to Meijer's and hope that it's in stock... I just have to walk 10 feet to my DVD shelf, grab it, open it up and enjoy.
Old 02-02-06, 02:15 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

My husband and I are addicted and continue to buy even in the dawn of the HD Disc world...but then we do it out of video love and not as an investment. Just a simple obsession...you can see our collection link below.
Old 02-02-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Billyspunk
A true collector buys what they want.
As opposed to someone who compulsively buys DVDs they don't want?
Old 02-02-06, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From my perspective, a true dvd collector is a person who buys and collects all their favorite films on DVD and proceeds it with caution, because they love them and have to own them, but they know their limit and what they want and what not, and they do watch the ones they collect and buy all the time. They prize their collection, because it speaks the truth of the films they love.

Ultimately, I think a solid, true dvd collection boils down to your favorite films, no matter who you are. That is what I think a true collector of dvd is.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-02-06, 08:27 PM

Heres my opinion.

A "true collector" purchases off their passions. They buy what the like and what defines them. They base their collections off things that bring them joy. They know what they want. If it's 5 titles or 5000 doesnt really matter. Some people really do like 5000 titles and can afford them.

A "true consumer" purchases anything just to build a number. They run up debt for instant gratification with no thoughts about how this will severly damage their future spending. They keep titles they don't like, purchase titles never seen continually, buy hit titles (simpsons, seinfeld, star wars, lord of the rings, etc.) even if they dont like them. I have known several people who own titles like Seinfeld and Star Wars even if they don't watch them or like them. They think they have to own these titles to give their collection any worth.

Basically, try not to be a consumer. Buy things that are worth it to you. Who cares what strangers or even people you know think of your movie choices. Will these people be paying off your credit cards bills or financing your retirement? I think not.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 02-02-06 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-02-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I think the idea of using the phrase "true collector" is really laughable. This reminds me of the customer vs. consumer thread where everyone said they just buy what they want and they don't care what others think or they're not doing it to round out a collection or get "important" films, yet everyone in this thread...

Old 02-05-06, 02:41 PM

a true collector has many movies on dvd not only from hollywood but also from world cinema...................

must have many dvds,if he can afford it.probably around 300...

and many of his dvds gather dust despite the fact that he wasnt it yet........

many blind buys but carefully considered the same in reviews and polls
Old 02-05-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some characteristics of a true collector:

A true collector keeps an ordered list of some sort.
A true collector sees holes in their collection which need to be filled.
A true collector assesses their collection needs and plans ahead to purchase upcoming releases.
A true collector thinks about their collection many times throughout the day.
A true collector has dreams about DVDs that don't really exist.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 02-06-06 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-06-06, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts
I am not a collector, other than to collect movies I enjoy.
Old 02-06-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A TRUE Collector owns the entire Criterion Collection.