Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else receive the Giant Robo: Eye of Volger sphere?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Giant Robo - Vol. 1 DVD was released on 10/26/04. The 'Eye of Volger' sphere was supposed to be released at the same time as the standard release, but kept getting pushed back. Well, my sphere finally shipped on Friday, and I received it yesterday.

The set comes in a box that's very nicely done.

They Eye of Volger is good quality, though basically just a plastic sphere, of course.

The top of the eye lifts off and has room for four jewel cases which will contain all of the remaining Giant Robo and Ginrei OVA DVD's when they are released. Right now, it only contains the 'Volume One' DVD, and four other blank jewel cases.

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed that the DVD isn't in a standard amaray DVD case. The only reason I can figure it's not, is that it would have made the sphere HUGE. Still, the list price for this is a whopping $75, so I expected it to be able to hold regular cases. Furthermore, the other jewel cases contain no inserts or inlays for the future releases.

Because of all of this in addition to the big price tag, I can't really recommend this to anyone unless they're a huge fan or collector. Not when the standard edition can be bought for around $20. Still, I'm pretty happy with it as I got a good deal on it, and it's definitely something that will stand out on the shelf.
Old 12-08-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I purchased the standard edition of this OVA but skipped on the eye. Looking at yours makes me think I may have made a poor choice! Great set!
Old 12-08-04, 10:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Someone's username finally makes sense.
Old 12-08-04, 11:17 AM

Crikey thas one odd thing! I would rather have had the Robo himself, but hey its different thats for sure is it limited ? and I am not sure about jewel cases either

still whats the actual quality of the dvds like then?
Old 12-08-04, 01:00 PM

I've never seen it actually written anywhere that it's limited. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't make more after they sell through their stock.

I only had time to watch a bit of the first episode last night. But I liked what I saw a lot. It says that the episodes are remastered, and it shows. It looks much better than I remember them being, and I own the Manga laserdiscs from ten years ago. When I get a chance, I'll have to go back and compare them. Watched it on a Sony 57" 510 with the Zenith DVB318. It has a new 5.1 English dub (as well as Japanese 5.1 w/ removable subs). I was happy to find that it also contains the original English dub, because I remember liking it back in the day, even though some of the voices are over the top. However, I gotta say that the new dub blows the old one away. It's WAY better than the old one, and I had no reason to be worried.

The second disc contains all of the extras. Lots of tv commercial trailers and such. The quality varies on a lot of this material, with some of it looking like it's taken from a worn videotape. Still, cool to have. There's also a documentary (I think) about the making of the sountrack with the Warsaw Symphony. I'm looking forward to watching that.

Overall, whether you get the eye or not, the dvd itself is very well done. If you've never seen it, you should definitely check it out, as it's one of the best anime from the '90's (IMO).
Old 12-09-04, 12:44 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A nice set...until I saw the jewel cases.
Old 12-09-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The jewel cases are a bit of a disappointment, but overall, I still can't wait for mine to ship (from Canada!!!)