Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Toshiba 27A40 TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-01, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had plans to get a 40" Toshiba widescreen, but they fell through. I settled on shopping for a 27" regular TV to go in my entertainment center and not be a huge project.

I decided on the Toshiba 27A40, brought it home today and MAN is it sweet. It has svideo as well as component inputs. I have the DVD player hooked up to the component using the A/V cable it came with (tomorrow I'm going to pick up a shielded one from Radio Shack), and it's the sharpest, most crisp and detailed picture I've seen on a non-HDTV set. I love this TV and it was only $350 at Best Buy.

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a 27 incher.
Old 01-08-01, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 27A50, which is the 27A40 with PIP (which I can't use). It is a sweet TV. I got it for $340 at BB using either a 10% or 15% coupon they mailed me, plus 12 months same as cash. If you have any questions about how good this TV is, check out the December 2000 Consumer Reports, they loved it also (rated best out of 30 or so 27" TVs) (the 27A50, the 27A40 is the same, just without PIP).

The reason I can't use PIP is that I have satellite, not cable. So, I have DVD into the component inputs, and my satellite into the VCR into the coax in.

Edited to give the correct issue of Consumer Reports.

[This message has been edited by Heat 1 (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-08-01, 08:59 AM

Is there any way to get anamorphic mode out of this bad boy?

Not that it needs it, it looks just as good or better in normal mode than my friend's Sony using the anamorphic trick.
Old 01-09-01, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had this set for a few weeks now too and love it. Perfect for my dorm room. I don't think I could have beat it with any other 27" TV in this price range. I got mine for $279 and no tax on an Air Force Base Exchange. Great deal. Beats the hell out of my old 19" piece of junk.
Old 01-09-01, 10:06 AM

I opted for a Panasonic panablack 27". It's horizontal resolution is 700-750 and has a component/svideo input as well on the back. At this time I have my DVD player hooked up with "composite" yeow, cables. I have ordered some component cables and should be here anyday now. How large of a difference do you guys see with your Toshibas?

~ELmO
Old 01-09-01, 11:54 AM

I just used Radio Shack's $17.99 12-ft "audio/video" cables - the shielded ones with gold connectors - as opposed to buying full fledged composite video connectors.

I believe these cables are the same as buying 3 of the $7.99 12 footer single cables like I use for the coax out.

Is there any difference between a high-quality set of "A/V" cables (R,L,V) and a composite video set? Because Best Buy's cheapest set was $50... ouch.

Thanks
Old 01-09-01, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by JackStraw:
Is there any difference between a high-quality set of "A/V" cables (R,L,V) and a composite video set?
<HR>

Yes, I think there is a difference. With A/V cables the yellow cable is a 75 ohm cable with a solid inner wire. The R/L audio cables are just twisted or braided wire.

I have a set of Acoustic Research Component cables from my Toshiba SD-1200 DVD player to my Toshiba 27A40 TV. I did hook it up with a regular composite cable and switched between the component and composite inputs. In some movies I noticed just a little difference in mainly color.

I tried my Bug's Life CE to compare bewteen the two and noticed a big difference in color. The composite was alot duller and more washed out looking. The component input's color is much richer.

All you need to buy for component cables is 3 equal length 75 ohm cables(yellow cable) from radio shack or any place that sells electronics. There won't be much difference between these and more expensive cables on these 27" TVs.

[This message has been edited by The Void (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-09-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this set is a very good value. Almost bought it, but just couldn't refuse the even sharper 27" wega picture.... Price difference is large though.
Old 01-10-01, 12:22 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by The Void:
[B] Yes, I think there is a difference. With A/V cables the yellow cable is a 75 ohm cable with a solid inner wire. The R/L audio cables are just twisted or braided wire.

All you need to buy for component cables is 3 equal length 75 ohm cables(yellow cable) from radio shack or any place that sells electronics. [B]
<HR>

Are these the $7.99 for a 12 foot cable? This is really throwing me off because none of their cables say 75 ohm. These ones just say they are shielded, and seem to be the most high quality single cables they have.

Can anyone verify these are the 75ohms or are they something else?

Old 01-10-01, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have the Toshiba 32A40 and also love it. With my DVD player hooked up via component inputs it produces an amazingly clear and crisp picture!!