Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Might be time to upgrade the projector. Any new developments?

Lining up a screen and PJ pretty much requires it. Once you get the installation out of the way, it's worth it.
Old 05-20-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So the W1070 hasn't shipped out yet, and I saw this deal today over at Amazon. Optoma HD25e for $778.99 and it comes with a $50 Amazon gift card. Thoughts? Since they were about the same price, the Optoma seems like a slightly better projector for the price.
Old 05-20-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Prob close to a toss-up. Optoma is brighter, so more contrast, also quieter. But that may be complete marketing bs that will not be true when you calibrate it. BenQ has vertical lens shift and more legacy inputs. But neither of those may matter to you at all. Otherwise, they mostly look very similar. Keep in mind they prob both use the exact same DLP chip, so the start of the video path should be identical.

But check this out:
They have different zooms, so it could be as simple as knowing how far it needs to be from the screen. One or the other may not work in your room. Have you picked a screen size? Example, 100" screen:
Optoma distance range 10'11"-13'1"
BenQ range 8'4"-10'8"
(assuming Visual Apex's calculator is accurate)

So, they do not even cross over in range. Got a tape measure? (should've mentioned that along with the level) Keep in mind those are distances to the front of the lens, you still need space behind that for the body of the PJ.
Old 05-22-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The Optoma has moar rainbows, but the BenQ has a fair share as well (mostly only noticeable on high contrast stuff on my computer and the Plex load screens in both cases). The Optoma had a better throw range for my living room and I wound up going that way. They're both solid PJs.

To note, I have the hd131xe which is the Jr model of the HD25e (not quite as bright, but still bright as hell). They really aren't very different at all.
Old 05-25-14, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I used French Cleats to hang my screen. I got the height perfect, and then was actually able to slide the screen side to side to get it perfect.
Old 11-14-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

The Epson LS10000 looks like a tremendous advance in projectors, but at 8 Large it's out of my price range.
Old 12-23-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

With the Panny Plasma have died I spent a great deal yesterday checking about every set and option out there from normal LED's, curved, 4K and projectors. I've always wanted to consider a projector and having two broken TV's, a LCD and Plasma both not lasting more than 3-4 years I'm a bit cautious on TV sets period. I went to a local HiFi store that's been around for nearly 40 years and sells mainly mid to high end gear and ones who treat everyone as customers and not some clueless sap-sucker idiot like some other store does.

I talked to one person who spent nearly an hour taking me around to the various demo rooms checking the normal LEDS, 4K and projectors. As much as I'd like a 4K 65" TV I couldn't shake the size and picture of the projectors. He said if I was serious they could knock $500.00 off the new Sony HW40ES even though the "Rebate" wasn't to start till first of the year. So today after the wife said go ahead I'm getting the Sony VPL-HW40ES and they'll have to order a screen from Screen Innovations since they don't have the size I need. My wall space is somewhat restricted to 100" and under and they only have the 105" and above.

I was thinking of the new Epson 3500 but the Sony has had nothing but positive reviews despite lacking some serious features from the more expensive HW55ES. But it has better game lag and also comes with a Three Year Warranty...far better than other more expensive projector brands. I'm excited but I'll have to do some engineering in the rec room since the projector will be on the opposite side of the Audio Rack. I'll put an outlet in the attic part for the power plug and figure out on how to get the 35' HDMI cable over and down a wall to the Yamaha AVR.
Old 12-23-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check the long cable to make sure it works before permanently installing it. HDMI is a bitch. You'll love the SXRD, coming from plasma. Sony's PJs are great, a step above their TVs.
Old 03-07-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&AJones - care to share any impressions on the Sony VPL-HW40ES? I'm moving next month and planning a basement theater. I'm eyeing the Sony, which is pretty much at the top of my price range. Being my first dive into projectors, it's all a bit intimidating.
Old 05-14-15, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I guess this is as good a place any any for my questions. So I'm finally going to be getting a front projector however I'm an absolute newb when it comes to them so I look to you for help.

We're having a house built that will have a finished basement with enough room for me to place a projector. Here's what I'll be working with:
- Hoping to keep the cost around $1000. (Am considering an "Elite screen" for an additional $300-$400).
- 17' x 15' area. The projector to screen will be approximately 16'.
- Am looking at purchasing a screen about 110" - 120".
- Will be looking to ceiling mount.
- Outside light is not much of a concern since it'll be in the basement it'll be dark conditions.
- Mostly movie watching. Very little TV or video games, though the occasional football game or tv show will be watched.
- Not terribly interested in 3D. If it comes with it I'll consider it a bonus.

I've looked around at a few projectors and the ones I'm considering are the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema8350, Epson Home Cinema 3020, BenQ W1500, and BenQ W1080ST.

Of course I'm open to any recommendations since,like I said, I'm completely new at this and am fairly out of my depth here.
Old 05-15-15, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'll want a level and a tape measure. You can read starting in post 28 about a couple key mounting issues, my posts and others'. (no reason to re-type it) Use the calculator at projectorcentral.com to make sure your intended setup is physically possible. For instance, a quick check of the BenQ W1500 says that with a 16' throw, the smallest screen you can have is 129". That one may not work for your room, or you would have to move the PJ closer to the screen.

Despite your dark room plans, get as many lumens as you can. They all have 2 lamp modes, and you'll want the low power one to make the lamp last longer.

Big screens make people want multiple speakers, do you already have that, or have it planned? The new wave is 10 or more speakers.
Old 05-15-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I'm not too concerned about the setup. I think I'll be able to handle it ok but I'll definitely read any tips that are posted. I still haven't decided on which projector to get yet though so any further advice on that is appreciated. The 16' distance is negotiable so if I have to move it closer I can. My room has a beam that drops from the ceiling at the 17' mark but I'm sure I can work around it if I have to go farther back than 17' as well.

10 speakers seems a bit excessive to me. I've currently got a 7.1 setup with Klipsch speakers and even that seems a bit much for me. If the time comes when I want more speakers I'll find a way to work them in.
Old 06-04-15, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the VPL-HW40ES. However, now I'm totally tortured trying to decide on a screen aspect ratio. Seems 16:9 would be more versatile but a lot of "big" movies would benefit from being displayed on a 2.35:1 screen.

Initially, it seems like I could tolerate the black bars on the top & bottom over pillar + letterboxing all 16:9 & 4:3 movies. That said, it's hard to say before everything is set up in my space.

Any opinions/experience on this?
Old 06-05-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found that my room really dictated the shape. I measured out both 16:9 & 2.35:1 screens, including speaker location. Found that there was basically no point to wider, because width was the limiting factor. I think a lot of rooms would be like this, unless custom designed.

It basically comes down to constant width or constant height for your shows. That's why they call 2.35 CiH installs, constant image height.
Old 06-23-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Been thinking about it for a while, but today I finally went out to get the materials to enlarge my screen size. Total cost was $36 and change. The Blackout fabric was on sale at Jo-Anns and that was $14 for 9.5' and the wood for the frame ran $22.

The screen should end up about 111" x 47" , which is a few inches over my current one at 101" x 43".
I'm also shifting the height of the screen up which is going to entail redoing the masking frame which is where the majority of the work is going to come in.
Old 01-04-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After the BenQ W1070 didn't end up working out, I got a great deal on a BenQ HT1085ST last week. Set it up over the weekend and it's awesome. This is our first projector, so we are still trying to finalize a couple things on a permanent set up, but so far are really enjoying it.

Currently we have it set up on a coffee table in front of our couch, but we might end up mounting it to the ceiling. I'm just not sure if we want to go that route or not because we have talked about moving later this year.

What are you guys doing about screens? Right now we have a 140 inch picture projected on to our wall. It actually looks pretty good, but was thinking about a DIY screen like Paul did above with some fabric and material. Thoughts?
Old 01-08-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to share what I am FINALLY getting done in my basement Been in process of finishing the space for years but have gotten serious about it in the last year. Finishing the drywall right now!

Room is approx 25 x 17 with a 9 ft finished ceiling. I will have full light control. The equipment I have bought:

Projector: LG PF1500, it is a 1080p LED based projector. It uses a DLP color wheel and has no bulb. Specs say 1500 lumens at max brightness but I will be running it a lower power mode. It has a fantastic picture, will last for 30,000 hrs with no bulbs to change or dim, and is relatively inexpensive at ~$700. Has cool magic remote and built in apps that I might use. Downsides are VERY limited mounting options the lens has very little options and no vertical or horizontal shift. I have accounted for this in my setup and it will be mounted at 12' 2" to a 120" 16:9 screen.

Screen: DIY using Carl's blackout cloth and felt trim using their plans will be built from 1x4 lumber with screen cloth stapled to the frame, felt around the edges and trim to finish it off nicely. Cost ~$125 in materials, $49 for cloth, $40 for felt, rest for wood and trim.

Receiver Amplifier: I will be running three HD rooms off the sources so I needed a higher end system. I just picked up a closeout Pionee Elite SC-87 (Retail was like $1900 I got it for $800) that will support the two other rooms screens. It also does Dolby Atmos which I am excited to try.

Speakers: Mix of what I have and what I bought, I have a BIC Acoustech 5.1 setup that I really like that will be moving downstairs. I have added 4 in wall/in ceiling Monster speakers, two for rear back surrounds and two in the ceiling for Dolby Atmos. I have also wire for two front height/wide speaers. The Pioneer will connect all these locations but will only power 9 channels at a time.

Pretty excited to finish this project up, hopefully will be up and running by the Super Bowl!
Old 01-10-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it looks like my receiver can't do 3D through HDMI. So I guess my only other option is to get a different Blu Ray player that has 2 HDMI outputs? And do one for audio and another for video? Figured that was a cheaper option than buying a different receiver.
Old 01-10-16, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So it looks like my receiver can't do 3D through HDMI. So I guess my only other option is to get a different Blu Ray player that has 2 HDMI outputs? And do one for audio and another for video? Figured that was a cheaper option than buying a different receiver.
Couldn't you just get a splitter for ~$20-25?
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13705
Old 01-11-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think a splitter is going to solve the problem. A splitter would generally work in the same situation I'm in now. Whereas a new blu ray player with 2 separate HDMI ports would have the projector going into the the input HDMI slot in the blu ray player, and then the blu ray player having a separate HDMI output for the audio to the receiver. Unless I'm missing something?
Old 01-17-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I've only ever run my source(s) direct- analog outs to the reciever, and the HDMI (previously DVI; component) from the player to the projector.

I understand most people are not just connecting one disc player like I am to a display, but shouldn't you be able to run the Bd player straight (or whatever is your 3D source) straight and then use the receiver to take and split the rest of your sources?
Old 01-18-16, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I could use an optical cable to get sound, but not HD audio. It's no biggie, I ended up ordering a Samsung Samsung BD-F7500. This might be better in the long run anyways, so I can give my PS3 a break and have a stand alone blu ray player.
Old 01-20-16, 02:01 AM

hi everyone .....hope you are doing well...I would like to say that HDTV that operates using a rear-projection system. This type of system uses one or more lamps, located behind the TV screen, to illuminate the images displayed on the TV display. These lamps need replacement from time to time.

Before buying rear-projection TV replacement parts, TV owners should find out about rear-projection technologies and including lamps used in the projection system itself.. These cut the light, as mentioned, so the image is somewhat dim with 3D. Some projectors, like the Epson can afford to lose some light and still create a punchy image. Others, not so much.

With a couple hundred total Blue-ray titles available now, that format is by far the best 3D source, but selection is still slim compared with the thousands of 2D Blu-ray titles. you can go for 110 inch Tvs like that of TCL and samsung which have good reviews...They provide Spectacular Ultra HD 4K Picture Quality,Super-Large Immersive Screen Size... 4K Standard Future Proof TV,Smart Touch Remote Controland Smart Yes – Voice Control.
Old 01-22-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got everything hooked up last night and it's working great. Now I need to re-program the Harmony controller this weekend to get all the source inputs correctly. Right now I have an Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Samsung Blu Ray player and a Yamaha DVD player all hooked up to the receiver via HDMI.
Old 02-05-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got the Harmony re-programmed, so everything is working well there. I ordered an Elite Screen last weekend that is supposed to be delivered today. It was $180 for 135 inches, so I hope to get it installed this weekend.

It's crazy how much we've used the projector so far. We've had it a little over a month now and have put close to 100 hours on the lamp.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.