Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Rate my setup...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Rate my setup...

I've been using the same equipment for a few years now (except my receiver and HTPC) and am looking to make some changes, but not sure what. All in all I'm pretty happy with what I have but I know it can be better. Not looking to spend thousands, feel I should upgrade something lol.
Anyway, heres what I have.

Pioneer VSK 1019AH Receiver
TivoHD
Panasonic TH-50PX60 TV
Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer (with poly fill modification)
Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000 center speaker
Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 2 fronts and 2 rears
Zotac Zbox ID34BR (used as a standalone media player w/XBMC, built in Blu-Ray, 3 2TB HDD housed in a 4 bay external enclosure connected via USB).
Harmony One remote.
I've been thinking about upgrading the sub. It is about 7-8 years old but to me it sounds very good (especially with the polyfill mod), but I've never heard a really good sub so I dont know.
Anyway, opinions please.
Old 02-01-11, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
Re: Rate my setup...

If your happy, your happy. If you enjoy that is what counts.

As for sub...yea...sure....think you would see a significant improvement by going SVS or HSU. They are sort of "the" subs of choice (I'm sure there are a couple others, but the SVS and HSU are excellent, readily available, have a huge following).
Old 02-01-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I've never heard a really good sub so I dont know.
I would agree, because if you had, you'd use the word "feel", not "hear".

If you wish to upgrade subs, start with a BFD*. $150 or less. Set up your current sub with that. See if you can get some low end out of it. (see this post) If you like that, consider an SVS. They really pack a punch. Some crazy people upgraded to an SVS and were astounded at the punch compared to subs they had used before....so they bought a 2nd sub to double it. I didn't do that, although I did upgrade to a dual driver model, and then upgraded the drivers. Apparently it's like crack.

* That's Behringer Feedback Destroyer. Depending on which model, it's a one or two channel parametric equalizer intended for use in a public address or concert system. Note some reviews, all about subwoofers.
Old 02-02-11, 11:11 AM

Not looking to spend thousands, feel I should upgrade something lol.
SVS may not be thousands but they are not cheap...range from about $500-$2000.

I would agree with you if I were to upgrade something the sub would be first on my list...btw nice set up.
Old 02-02-11, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
If your happy, your happy. If you enjoy that is what counts.

As for sub...yea...sure....think you would see a significant improvement by going SVS or HSU. They are sort of "the" subs of choice (I'm sure there are a couple others, but the SVS and HSU are excellent, readily available, have a huge following).
I agree with Sdallnct here,if your happy then don't mess with it. If you feel the need to upgrade anything I would go after a better sub. There are many choices and agree with Sdallnct at looking at SVS and HSU. I would also throw in Epik subs in the mix of the other two. Any of these will make a significant jump up for you.
Old 02-02-11, 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I've never heard a really good sub before and the sub that I have now has excellent reviews anywhere I've read about it (with the polyfill mod) so I want to make sure I will hear a difference before I upgrade.
Old 02-03-11, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I've never heard a really good sub before and the sub that I have now has excellent reviews anywhere I've read about it (with the polyfill mod) so I want to make sure I will hear a difference before I upgrade.
Always thought my sub was good too. Then I finally broke down, listened to Spiky and Sdallnct, and got an HSU. Never knew what I was missing...
Old 02-03-11, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by wildman1037
Always thought my sub was good too. Then I finally broke down, listened to Spiky and Sdallnct, and got an HSU. Never knew what I was missing...
which model did u get and whatd u pay?
Old 02-04-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

which model did u get and whatd u pay?
I got the VTF-2 MK 3 model, in black. Paid somewhere between $500 and $550. I used their calculation in the FAQ on the size of my living room to determine what model to get.