Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PS3 won't play dvd+r's

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

PS3 won't play dvd+r's

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS3 won't play dvd+r's

ok, i really didn't know which forum to put this in. i figure it could go in a few different ones so mods, please feel free to move. my problem is this...

i am trying to make my own dvd's of ed since the official dvd's are nowhere to be seen. i am using my father in law's vcr-dvd combo player to burn copies of the vhs tapes. i burned a copy on a memorex dvd+r using a magnavox mrv 700vr machine. i finalized the disc and seemingly everything went ok, until i tried to play the disc. i tried it on my ps3 with no luck. i put in the disc and it wouldn't recognize it. i then tried it in my grandmother's cyberhome dvd player and it did recognize it. however, i would really like to use my own ps3 instead of having to go to my grandmother's.

my system profile said that it was 2.0. does anyone have any ideas on why the dvd might not be working?
Old 03-30-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 60gb PS3 and mine plays DVD+R's fine. I haven't done the 2.0 update yet.. maybe it depends what version PS3 you have too since I know that the 40gb models aren't even backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.
Old 03-31-08, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get better discs. Memorex are NOT that great, regardless of what some say. Check videohelp.com for compatibility reports. Or just skip the research and buy nothing but Taiyo Yuden premium line. They don't cost any more than other brands and they just work.
Old 03-31-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I use verbatims for all my MST3K VHS converts and they all play fine. I have a 60GB as well.
Old 03-31-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the "get better discs" suggestion.
Old 04-06-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well i have tried again with the same problems. i took the memorex discs back to best buy and exchanged them for some sony discs as it looked like those were the best ones there. i spent yesterday burning and once again, the disc wouldn't be recognized on either my mac or my ps3. i have looked and looked online to see what the problem might be to no avail. i will have to look around for some better discs i guess.
Old 04-06-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look for Fuji discs labeled as being made in Japan.
Old 04-07-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by kevin75
wouldn't be recognized on either my mac or my ps3.
Hmmm... Have you tried DVD-R instead of DVD+R? I've always had fewer compatibility issues with -R, and there are some rumblings on teh Intarweb about issues the PS3 has with +R. What clued me in was your mac problem, as macs are pretty notorious about preferring -R.
Old 04-07-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i would've used -R but the vcr/dvd player that i am using to burn them, supposedly only uses +R/+RW.
Old 04-07-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Get better discs. Memorex are NOT that great, regardless of what some say.
There's people who defend Memorex? In all the years I've been using DVD Burnables, Memorex has always been at the bottom of the list in terms of reliability (and a last resort at best).
Old 04-07-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Verbatim switched to another plant for their DL discs, I tried Memorex DL (made in Taiwan). The quality score (from Nero CD-DVD Speed) actually was really good on all the discs I burned.
Old 04-07-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Which Verbatims should be avoided these days? Are they the ones made in Singapore or India, I forget.
Old 04-07-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's all I will use:

DVD-R......Taiyo Yuden premium line
DVD+R.....Taiyo Yuden premium line
DVD-RW....TDK
DVD+RW...TDK
Dual layer.....Verbatim in the orange box

To date I have made zero coasters in my Mac or my Panny DVDR with these. I have also never found a player that wouldn't play my burned discs. And I looked. Denon, Panny, GoVideo, RCA, various computers with OSX and WinXP, Pioneer, Sony and more players I've tried.

I haven't actually used DL yet, but that's the high-end Verbatims in the list. So that's my plan. I actually want to pick some up, just haven't gotten to it.
Old 04-08-08, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem isn't the discs but rather the way the recorder is creating them. You need to take the 'finalized' discs and copy them to your computer and run them through another program then burn. I won't mention any programs here but you should check over at :

http://www.videohelp.com
Old 04-08-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Which Verbatims should be avoided these days? Are they the ones made in Singapore or India, I forget.
The ones from India should be avoided.
Old 04-08-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dablueguy
The problem isn't the discs but rather the way the recorder is creating them. You need to take the 'finalized' discs and copy them to your computer and run them through another program then burn. I won't mention any programs here but you should check over at :

http://www.videohelp.com
thanks for the advice. the only problem with that is that my mac won't recognize the disc so how do i copy it to the computer?
Old 04-08-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
The ones from India should be avoided.
As someone hip-deep in the outsourcing revolution, I can say that those words apply to far more than blank DVD's.
Old 04-09-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
thanks for the advice. the only problem with that is that my mac won't recognize the disc so how do i copy it to the computer?

Good question....I know that there are Mac programs, but I couldn't tell you how to use them. I would definitely ask over at videohelp though. They have a forum for just about everything.