Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

i had decided to buy sony bravia sxrd 55" KDS-A3000, now discontinued. what now?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

i had decided to buy sony bravia sxrd 55" KDS-A3000, now discontinued. what now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shopping around a couple months ago, I had basically decided on buying a 55" Sony Bravia KDS-A3000. It was a matter of timing with tax refund (gotta stimulate the economy!), etc.

That Sony line has been discontinued, and for warranty and replacement reasons, I do not want to buy one from the stores that still have stock.

So, what are my logical fallbacks (or fall-forwards)?

Here's what's important:

* Looking for something approximately 50-59 inches
* 1080p--I do notice a difference at this size, so there you go
* some movie watching will take place during the day (brighter room -- though the shades are still pretty good in here), but the set will be on mostly at night.
* I had originally budgeted about $1750, but one of the t.v.s that I was price-watching has gone down quite a bit (Samsung HLT5687SAX; I think I've seen it under $1350) so I certainly would not mind spending less.
* i'll soon have a ps3 for blu-ray. the t.v. will be used almost exclusively for movie watching (minimal t.v. and video games)

other:
* viewing distance is about 13 feet
* I have an Onkyo 605 receivor and the HKTS-18 speaker package from harmon kardon.

Thanks for suggestions!

Last edited by cgray; 04-06-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 09:51 AM

I had been wanting a 60" Sony SXRD or JVC D-ILA, but since they've quit making both, I'll probably go for Samsung's LED version of DLP. If prices come down to within reason, for a big Sony LCD, I'll also consider one of those. I kinda doubt the price on those will drop much though.
Good luck with whatever you get...........
Old 04-06-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts
At 13 feet I'm surprised you can see a difference of 1080p. But that's ok.

Personally, I'd still get the Sony. That is a great set. Just get the extended warranty and be done with it. There will be plenty of parts for years. And with an extended warranty if they can't fix it they usually refund your money for the set or give you the current replacement.

I picked up a Samsung 46" LCD flat panal. It is AWESOME in the bright room. However, overall picture quality is not what say a Panasonic or Pioneer Plasma is.
Old 04-06-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the suggestion, Sdallnct. and what's your common recommend for a non-1080p set fitting my criteria?

edit: I see you like the Panny plasmas... is the TH-50PX80U your recommendation?

Last edited by cgray; 04-06-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-06-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They have that model of 55" Sony SXRD at my local Sam's Club here in Florida for (IIRC) $1299. I've got 2 SXRDs and love them, so I agree with Sdallnct, I'd stick with it.
Old 04-06-08, 01:51 PM

cgray may have the same problem as me. There may not be any of the SXRDs to be bought. There's none left here, or in any of the nearby towns, including Sam's, Sears, Best Buy, etc. I've looked...........

He may can find one online, but a tv is one of a few things I won't buy online.
Old 04-06-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cgray
thanks for the suggestion, Sdallnct. and what's your common recommend for a non-1080p set fitting my criteria?

edit: I see you like the Panny plasmas... is the TH-50PX80U your recommendation?
Well the 50" panasonic or pioneer plasmas have imo the best overall picture and are 720p. The 720p panasonic's are all pretty much the same, just difference of speaker location, media slots, etc.

The one reason, I would not pick those is size. It really is hard to make up size. Meaning, if you want the true theater type experience, it is hard to make up size no matter how good of pq it is. So, if you want bigger and a reasonable budget then I'd really look at the flat panel LCD's. Which will be all 1080p, but that's ok. I don't have anything against 1080p, I just don't see paying extra for it in that size and seating difference.
Old 04-06-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BravesMG
They have that model of 55" Sony SXRD at my local Sam's Club here in Florida for (IIRC) $1299. I've got 2 SXRDs and love them, so I agree with Sdallnct, I'd stick with it.
Then buy a 3rd party warranty if concerned.
Old 04-09-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Another vote for the SXRD if you can at all find one. I love my 60" A2000, and the A3000 is supposed to be an even better set. It's too bad that Sony discontinued their RP SXRDs.