Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about HDTV and Digital Cable

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...so my city finally got digital cable and I had it installed last week. I have a HDTV and I heard that the cable box they give you is HDTV compatible. There are 4 channels that are currently offered in HDTV in my area...MSG, Fox Sports, HBO, and Cinemax. My question is do I have to change the settings everytime I go to one of those channels and then change it back when I go to a normal channel? I mean do have have to change the pixel quality from 480 to 1080 and then change it back to 480 when I watch regular TV? Also, when I do that these channels look great, but there's a thick black border that surrounds my entire screen...not just the top and bottom but also left and right. Then if I go to a non-HDTV channel...these channels also have this black border. Also what about show that are broadcast on regular channels like Smalville? Is there a way to leave the TV on the HDTV setting (1080) and not have these borders on any channels? I have a regular 32 inch Panasonic HDTV (not the widescreen one).
Old 04-14-03, 08:26 AM
Banned

I have the same issues with my new setup. I bought a HD Capable Toshiba 43" projector (43H72) and got the HD box from my local Warner Cable provider. I have to change the settings to component inputs when watching a HD channel. In doing so if the image is HD then the image is tall and thin. So I have to set my TV to widescreen or compression. When I switch to a non-HD channel I end up with the border all around the image. I don't have a solution to the settings and I don't want to leave it in widescreen all the time. At least I find some comfort knowing that I'm not the only one with this problem.

On a side note, the image quality of The Masters golf tournament was incredible.
Old 04-14-03, 08:31 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
You do not have to change the settings on your TV when changing from a HD signal to a non-HD signal. Assuming that you have a HDTV, there should be an input specifically designated for the HD signal - it looks for the 1080 resolution. As for the black square around your image...I've encountered that on my HD input when I am watching a show that is not broadcast in HD.
Old 04-14-03, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Geofferson
You do not have to change the settings on your TV when changing from a HD signal to a non-HD signal. .
True; I can leave it on the component input setting and not use the antenna input at all. But I need to change the resolution whenever I am on a HD channel; otherwise the image is too tall and thin.

Originally posted by Geofferson
As for the black square around your image...I've encountered that on my HD input when I am watching a show that is not broadcast in HD.
So I guess there is no way around changing the resolution.
Old 04-14-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sony models with vertical compression automatically sense the signal and adjust to anamorphic accordingly (as long as you don't buy the entry level model). It would seem as though a similar option should exist for you ...
Old 04-14-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If you have the Motorola 5100 box that Comcast provides, you can set separate resolutions for the HDTV output and the 'bypass' output on normal channels. For instance, 1080i for the HD channels and 480i or 480p for everything else. To make these changes, hit the Power button on the remote and then Menu.

The HD channels are broadcast in 16:9 all the time. If a non-HD, non-widescreen program is transmitted on that channel, it will appear in the middle of the frame with windowbox bars on the sides.