Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

The New CH Site: Questions, Comments, Likes, Dislikes?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

The New CH Site: Questions, Comments, Likes, Dislikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The New CH Site: Questions, Comments, Likes, Dislikes?

I signed up for a new TV account a week ago.
It gives you immediate access to the website, but under account info it has said "provisional" for the past week.
I know others have signed up since the change-over and gotten account approval in just a few days.
In fact, they say it takes about 72 hours, yet my account still seems to be in limbo after a whole week.

On another note, a couple days after the new site went live, I sent an email asking about a Blu-ray club.
I got the auto response saying they would get back to me in about 48 hours. Still nothing on that either.

COLUMBIA HOUSE, are you actually trying to make money? I sure doesn't seem like it.
Old 02-09-10, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
"Add to Wishlist" links do not work.
For those wanting to use the Wish List feature (I know I do so I don't forget what DVDs I want to buy down the road ... ), I notified Customer Service about the feature not working and they actually were pro-active and offered a workaround that works (in the meantime, they said the notified the Technical Support department):

Dear Member,

Thank you for notifying us of the difficulties you have been experiencing with your Wishlist online. We have reported the issue and hope to have it corrected soon.

In the meantime, we would like to suggest an alternate way to add an item to your Wishlist. You can add the item to your online Shopping Cart using the ?Add to Cart? button. You can then access your Shopping Cart by clicking the ?Checkout? button. Once you have accessed your Shopping Cart, please select the option "Move to Wishlist" for any titles you wish to move to the Wishlist. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience. If we may be of further service, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Susan
Customer Service
Hope that helps someone.
Old 02-12-10, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
The limit has been 5 of the same title for quite a while now.
er ... not anymore? Wonder if it is a change or a mistake?

-Z
Old 02-12-10, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by zoelightly
er ... not anymore? Wonder if it is a change or a mistake?

-Z

It is still 5. Click on the offer at the top of the page .. it states:

Selections are limited to 5 copies per title
The original part I quoted that said 02 (and as fixed by CH to say 20) was from the FAQ and was in reference to how many DVDs you can order in one order.

I was hoping they upped it to 25, because the phone system says you can now order 25 DVDs in one order over the phone. But, apparently they are leaving it the same online as it was (20).
Old 02-12-10, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by wkkunkle
It is still 5. Click on the offer at the top of the page .. it states:

The original part I quoted that said 02 (and as fixed by CH to say 20) was from the FAQ and was in reference to how many DVDs you can order in one order.

I was hoping they upped it to 25, because the phone system says you can now order 25 DVDs in one order over the phone. But, apparently they are leaving it the same online as it was (20).
Guess it is just a mistake then, and that will probably soon be fixed as well.
Old 02-19-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know what the threshold is for a selection counting as 2 fulfillments, 3 fulfillments, etc.?
Old 02-20-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the big train
Does anyone know what the threshold is for a selection counting as 2 fulfillments, 3 fulfillments, etc.?
My guess is that it remains the same as before, which I listed in the first post of the main "Questions" thread. But I haven't tested the new site yet. (And you can't always go by what the help on the CH website says.)
Old 02-20-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Help doesn't help in that regard anymore. I assumed it was probably the same. I should find out for sure pretty soon.
Old 02-20-10, 01:19 PM

I tried joining the DVD club in early January and then again at the beginning of February without success, or so I thought. It turns out both of my 7:2 applications went through, as I received DVDs from both orders but never received emails for either telling me I'd been accepted. My problem is that all but one DVD from the first order is listed as backordered, and three from the second are as well.
These DVDs no longer appear on Columbia House's new website. So what are the chances I'll ever receive them? All of them are out of print, and were mostly MGM titles, with a few Paramounts and Warners.

Thanks
Old 02-20-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^If the titles no longer show up on the website then you're out of luck. On every order I've ever done if a title disappeared from the site before it shipped I never got it and would get the "sorry can't get any more" letter. The good part is that you should receive a voucher for any missing title.
Old 02-20-10, 10:41 PM

That's what I'm afraid of. Almost all the titles I joined for are now gone, as it seems a large part of the MGM titles have disappeared from Columbia House's website. I guess I'll be stuck with eight vouchers.
Old 02-24-10, 10:59 PM

I don't know what's going on w/ the site but when I put something in my car the screen comes up and says cart empty. strange
Old 02-25-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Try clearing your cookies - or put it in your cart. It's a asking a lot for CH to know what's in your car...
Old 02-26-10, 05:40 AM

If I purchase a pre-order at the sale price of $19.95 will it count towards my commitment? Or does it have to be a regularly priced title at $19.95 or more?

I know this is covered in the FAQ thread but I wasn't sure if any rules had changed. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
Old 02-26-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Any DVD/BD/set purchased for $19.95 or more will count as a commitment. No exceptions.

When you put it in your cart it should say that it counts, although I haven't tested that lately.
Old 02-26-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ElleSol
If I purchase a pre-order at the sale price of $19.95 will it count towards my commitment? Or does it have to be a regularly priced title at $19.95 or more?

I know this is covered in the FAQ thread but I wasn't sure if any rules had changed. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
Unlike DMC, selections at CH count towards fulfillment if the "regular" price is $19.95 or higher. You can use a % off code and get a title for less than $19.95 and still have it count just as long as it's *normally* $19.95 or higher. Of course with the new site and rules it's possible that will change...
Old 02-26-10, 05:19 PM

^
Thanks for responding. It didn't say anything on checkout whether it counted towards my commitment, and my account overview shows my commitment status hasn't changed, but I know these things take time to update. I just wish CH made things more clear for its customers.
Old 02-26-10, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^They are notoriously slow updating your account information online. It *should* show up on your account between charging your CC and shipment.
Old 02-27-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone else notice that you can no longer cancel a recently-placed order?
Old 02-28-10, 12:49 PM

My question sort of relates to the above discussion. I'm looking at a $22.95 DVD box set that's currently on sale for $13.77. If I purchase it, will it count as a fulfillment? A search of previous threads mentions percentage-off codes, but this one is automatic when you log into Columbia House's site. Thanks.
Old 02-28-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^$13.77 is 40% off $22.95, the normal/standard/ongoing discount on box sets. CH computes the % off based on the "MSRP" which, on box sets, is listed as the "Club Price". In this case I'd say that the title will *not* count as a fulfillment based on prior evidence and the fact that $13.77 is the "normal" Club Price in spite of what the screens say. A fairly good test as to whether or not a set truly qualifies as a fulfillment is to use a B1G1 code and see if you can get a free, non box set title that has the same "Club Price" as the set. In your example, if you can get a $19.95-$22.95 regular DVD with the set using a B1G1 then the set *probably* will count as a fulfillment. If not... no it will not count.

However, with the site redesign the wording of the agreement/fulfillment section appears to have undergone slight alterations. We've yet to get word from someone that a $19.95 (or higher) title that's been discounted below $19.95 will still count towards fulfillment like before. Even so, for a box set I'd compute 40% off the "Club Price" and if it falls below $19.95 I'd not order expecting it to count as a fulfillment.
Old 02-28-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RayJ
My question sort of relates to the above discussion. I'm looking at a $22.95 DVD box set that's currently on sale for $13.77. If I purchase it, will it count as a fulfillment? A search of previous threads mentions percentage-off codes, but this one is automatic when you log into Columbia House's site. Thanks.
Short answer: Probably not. There are certain exceptions, usually involving pre-orders, where one can pay a sale price and get credit for the usual price, but they are rare.

This sale price thing has long been a tactical issue when fulfilling accounts. The typical default offer on an account is buy one at regular price and get others at 60% off the regular price. It is not an accident that only the first one will count for fulfillment and the others, being sale-priced at less than $19.95, will not. Columbia House uses that to encourage members to buy more DVDs than they are required to (at prices that are highly profitable to them).

In the past, we have been able to get around this by using Buy One, Get One Free, plus free shipping offers. They were so common that we could always count on one coming around. That way we could buy fulfillment DVDs at $19.95 (or close to it) and get a free DVD with each one. We even used to see an occasional such offer that worked with Blu-ray Discs as freebies, although offers with box sets as freebies disappeared some years ago.

In the case of box sets, CH generally prices them at a certain percentage off the regular price, typically 30-40%. It is the price you pay that counts for fulfillment credit. In your specific example: a box set with a regular price of $22.95 "special" priced at $13.77 (40% off), the special price would not count for fulfillment.

The type of sale that BobO'Link mentioned above, a percent off the entire order code, is an exception to the general rule. The percent off the entire order is applied after the regular sale prices determine whether or not the DVDs count for fulfillment. Whether this is still the case on the revamped Columbia House site, I couldn't say. Probably yes.

For example: suppose you wanted to buy a box set with a regular price of $34.95, "special" priced at $20.97. Because $20.97 is more than $19.95, it would count for fulfillment. Then, suppose you used a sale offer that gave 20% off all items in an order, including box sets. That would lower the price to $16.78 and it would probably still count for fulfillment, at least under the old rules.

If this stuff sounds a bit convoluted and complicated, that's because it is. We have spent years analyzing and coming up with optimized strategies for Columbia House accounts. And all that may have been thrown out the window with the recent changes instituted by CH (which may have been their goal, if one wants to indulge in paranoia). We'll know more as things shake out over time.
Old 02-28-10, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the helpful responses. I just tried adding a $24.95 DVD to the cart with the $13.77 box set and the $24.95 comes up as a free selection (with 60% off any other titles I might want, plus shipping).
Old 02-28-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Interesting... Even if the box set does *not* count towards fulfillment this could *still* be a fairly good deal depending on the shipping amount for the box set.

Out of curiosity, which set is this?
Old 03-01-10, 08:43 AM

The box set was The Bad News Bears Triple Play Collection and the DVD was Vertigo. Unfortunately I missed the buy one get one free offer which expired yesterday, so I never placed the order.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.