Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains > DVD Clubs
Reload this Page >

The New CH Site: Questions, Comments, Likes, Dislikes?

Community
Search
DVD Clubs Discuss & Strategize about DVD Clubs like Columbia House

The New CH Site: Questions, Comments, Likes, Dislikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The New CH Site: Questions, Comments, Likes, Dislikes?

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Poor wording, but I believe that means a limit of 2 of the SAME title. Pretty sure that's always been the rule...
The limit has been 5 of the same title for quite a while now.
Old 02-03-10, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

"Add to Wishlist" links do not work.
Old 02-04-10, 11:33 AM

They just responded back to my email I had mentioned when I started this thread.

First, they confirmed the whole new account number thing.

Also, said they corrected my last name. But, apparently, in the infinite wisdom of CH, upgrading the site did not include "real-time" update technology, a the site still shows otherwise ... so, I'll have to wait a few days to see how my name is now actually appearing.

When they converted the site a while back (well, made changes to it), they messed up my name by combining my last name and suffix into one (i.e. Kunkle, Jr. became KunkleJr) until I contacted them to correct it.

As mentioned, this time, they just dropped my suffix altogether ... so I had put in the email, as follows:

My name is:

FIRST NAME: William
LAST NAME: Kunkle Jr

The new site shows my name as:

FIRST NAME: William
LAST NAME: Kunkle

Can you please correct this so that my last name correctly includes my suffix (Kunkle Jr)?
We'll see how they manage to screw it up ....

(I know to some the name thing is trivial and you wouldn't bother trying to get them to correct it ... but, I have been confused with my father all my life - credit history and all - people thought I owned a home before I was even born because the credit reporting agencies had my father's stuff on my report ... so, the whole suffix issue is a big deal to me at this point.)

Also, to touch on other sentiments expressed: my purchasing with them will be done as well if the "offer code" feature has been removed (since no one has been able to confirm the coupon field works like the offer code field used to ... and there is no reference in the FAQ on how to access the savings offer received in your mailing, like it used to, where it pointed you to the offer code box).

I never messed with the whole multiple accounts thing ... I know it would have been more beneficial in the long haul ... so the enrollment codes thing doesn't bother me as much.

I just don't think this whole redesign was thought out too well.
Old 02-04-10, 12:01 PM

Their website is not displaying correctly in Mozilla Firefox. I'm getting Java Script errors. IE works fine.
Old 02-04-10, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by lolitazz
Their website is not displaying correctly in Mozilla Firefox. I'm getting Java Script errors. IE works fine.
Yes, I noticed that too. For example, to log-in, I do not even see the options for "forgot your username or password" that lets you enter your account number and billing zip code to start the information retrieval process.

Just seems like a really poor job overall (then again, I am probably more critical than most because in my current occupation, I code custom web-based software solutions).
Old 02-04-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lolitazz
Originally Posted by wkkunkle
Yes, I noticed that too. For example, to log-in, I do not even see the options for "forgot your username or password" that lets you enter your account number and billing zip code to start the information retrieval process.

Just seems like a really poor job overall (then again, I am probably more critical than most because in my current occupation, I code custom web-based software solutions).
What version are you two using? I just logged in with Firefox 3.6 and it looks fine to me.
Old 02-04-10, 12:44 PM

@zeke ... 3.5.7 here.
Old 02-04-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@zeke ... 3.5.7 here.
Same here, and it looks fine... lolitazz, maybe your security settings are blocking something from appearing?
Old 02-04-10, 03:20 PM

@kenbenobi

I don't know. It was just something I noticed ... I don't really use Firefox a lot (more at work than at home). My primary browser tends to be I.E.
Old 02-04-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Using FF 3.6 and all is OK. I also run Adblock Plus and NoScript with only what's necessary enabled for CH to operate. The new site seems to run much faster than the old, but I don't much like most of the redisign. I took a quick look with IE and it looks the same.

Mini rant: I only use IE when a site absolutely refuses to cooperate with FF and typically cross the site off my "must visit" list. If a coder can't write compliant, cross platform, code I don't need their site. I also let the site owners know why I won't be back.
Old 02-04-10, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Same here, and it looks fine... lolitazz, maybe your security settings are blocking something from appearing?
They fixed it already. Maybe CH is reading this board.
Old 02-05-10, 12:17 AM

Perhaps Ch is reading this board ... lol. The 02 versus 20 DVDs typo has been corrected. ;-)
Old 02-06-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So they want me to register again with a new account number. If i choose not to do that I assume that terminates any connection to CH? My obligation was fulfulled long ago and I havent found them useful in a very long time.
Old 02-06-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
So they want me to register again with a new account number. If i choose not to do that I assume that terminates any connection to CH? My obligation was fulfulled long ago and I havent found them useful in a very long time.
Why play games? Just cancel your account. I always just send an email to close an account and it's done within 48 hours.
Old 02-06-10, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Easy
They told you to register again online? Your account number should have been automatically been converted/switched from the 11-digit to 9-digit number. You should still be able to log-in to your current account and your new account number is already associated.

But then again, it's CH ... so, I don't doubt they messed up on some account "conversions".
Old 02-06-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How am I to to fulfill my commitment in one order if the site won't allow me to change a DVD from sale price to full price? How am I to know that a particular DVD counts toward fulfilling my commitment when there is nothing on the checkout page indicating as such? How am I to tell if a particular set is worth 2 or more fulfillments if there is no guide anywhere on the site to tell me (even though in Help it says they'll let me know)?

I hope they're not resorting to that DMC bullshit with the locked-in sale price DVDs.

Last edited by the big train; 02-06-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 12:47 PM

Finally figured out how to enter an offer code ... see my post in this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9987780-post1033.html

Edited: Made the link an actual link since I now have 30 posts. yay!

Last edited by wkkunkle; 02-08-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-08-10, 02:21 PM

Out of curiosity I checked out columbiahouse.ca. Those undeserving Canucks can not only still use enrollment codes - tho I haven't found one yet that results in better than 4for$4 - but they can get Blu-rays for enrollments. Thank you Columbia House!

Since no enrollment codes and no Blu-rays mean most of us will say FU2 to CH, maybe in lieu of a petition (which probably wouldn't be worth the effort) we should start a thread where we ballpark how much money we used to spend at Columbia House - just to point out to the turkeys how much their bad decisions are going to cost their bottom line.

Thoughts?
Old 02-08-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally figured out how to enter an offer code ... see my post in this thread: forum.dvdtalk.com/9987780-post1033.html

(Sorry, it will not let me add the http : // ... I keep getting and error that says "You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 30 posts or more.")
Looks like you have 30 posts now.
Old 02-08-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ronstone00
Out of curiosity I checked out columbiahouse.ca. Those undeserving Canucks can not only still use enrollment codes - tho I haven't found one yet that results in better than 4for$4 - but they can get Blu-rays for enrollments. Thank you Columbia House!

Since no enrollment codes and no Blu-rays mean most of us will say FU2 to CH, maybe in lieu of a petition (which probably wouldn't be worth the effort) we should start a thread where we ballpark how much money we used to spend at Columbia House - just to point out to the turkeys how much their bad decisions are going to cost their bottom line.

Thoughts?
CH Canada has hd Blu-ray enrollment for a long time now.
I suspect the US site will soon follow.
I'm clueless as to WHY Canada has had it all this time and not the US though.
Old 02-08-10, 02:57 PM

^ Link edited! I didn't even realize how close I was until after posting. I just wanted to help the community out by sharing the tidbit of knowledge I had happened upon.
Old 02-08-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Thanks for posting it. Hopefully this is a sign of better things to come.
Old 02-08-10, 03:50 PM

Has anyone else's order disappeared? I placed one on 1/29 and it's gone from my account.
Old 02-08-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SMART-ASS
Looks like you have 30 posts now.
You're just being a smart-ass...
Old 02-08-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally figured out how to enter an offer code ... see my post in this thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9987780-post1033.html
Thanks for the code, and for confirming how the codes will work from now on. I tried 20100111NSSR, and it works in my account as well. Too bad it doesn't work on BD's...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.