Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Amazon some $40 Criterions 60% off ($15.99)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon some $40 Criterions 60% off ($15.99)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Amazon some $40 Criterions 60% off ($15.99)

Great find manicsounds! This works out perfect for me, not being a B&N member and having $100+ in credit on Amazon. I'll probably get 8 1/2 and M. I'm also thinking about Naked and Bicycle Thieves, but I think 2 might be good enough for now. I already bought Wages of Fear, Videodrome and The Seventh Seal from B&N.
Old 08-03-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Huh? So you would rather pay $4+ more per movie because it makes you feel like a better person? Why is one morally obligated to keep a discount card if they no longer wish to use it. I kept mine, b/c I buy magazines there anyway, but why on earth would you judge someone & call them "sleazy" b/c they use a card just to get an extra discount on a great sale. More power to anyone for finding DVDs are an awesome price.
If you can't see it, nothing I or anyone else says here is going to convince you. I do see something morally wrong with signing up for a membership that I know I don't intend to keep and that has an "out" clause for people who are generally dissatisfied with it, just to take advantage of a discount that's only available to members and that gives me results that I'm satisfied with, only to use the "out" clause and bail on the membership. But I guess that's just me.

I'm literally looking at the coupon as I type this and no where in the fine print does it have anything about 1 use per account. And it also states that it CAN be combined with sales and additional discounts.
For example (and all other coupons I have looked at have had the same fine print, slightly reorganized)...

I draw your attention to the words:
This coupon may be used once in any Barnes & Noble retail store for each new, current, and valid membership
And under the "Additional Rules..." section:
(v) may not be combined with any other coupon
The very facts that:
(a) in order to do it, you have to have cashiers ring everything up separately,
(b) some cashiers and managers refused to let you stack them or do (a), and
(c) you can't stack or reuse them online,
should tell you something. And that something is not that you should be getting $39.95 Criterions in store for $13.50.
Old 08-03-09, 07:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

It might be worth your while to go all the way thru the 700+ titles in the sale. Lots of good films at 50% or more off. I found 30 or so to add to my "saved for later" am-i-crazy-to-buy-more cart.
Old 08-03-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cheato
If you can't see it, nothing I or anyone else says here is going to convince you. I do see something morally wrong with signing up for a membership that I know I don't intend to keep and that has an "out" clause for people who are generally dissatisfied with it, just to take advantage of a discount that's only available to members and that gives me results that I'm satisfied with, only to use the "out" clause and bail on the membership. But I guess that's just me.
oh man, that is good stuff.

For example (and all other coupons I have looked at have had the same fine print, slightly reorganized)...

I draw your attention to the words:

This coupon may be used once in any Barnes & Noble retail store for each new, current, and valid membership
Right, that applies to anyone who has a recent membership, but if a clerk lets it apply to your membership that you joined 6 years ago, are you, mister
high-horse going to stop the clerk, & say "I'm sorry, I can't morally allow you to give me an additional $5 off my DVD, b/c my membership, while I did pay for it, is not a new one, thusly it doesn't apply to this sale."

And under the "Additional Rules..." section:

The very facts that:
(a) in order to do it, you have to have cashiers ring everything up separately
That is assuming you are buying more than one item. And only making one trip people, using these coupons in the B&N thread have made literally dozens of trips. This is absolutely no difference, then people making several different orders during the DD 25% each separately, b/c each coupon code can only be redeemed once. So are all those people according to you "sleazy ".

(c) you can't stack or reuse them online,
should tell you something. And that something is not that you should be getting $39.95 Criterions in store for $13.50.
No, it should tell you that it is a "store only coupon", THAT IS WHY you can't use it on-line, b/c it is only for use IN THE STORE, to get people to GO to the store & spend money there instead. It's not b/c it's some secret shady sale that only diabolical criminals use in order to get art-house cinema at a bargain discount price. There are plenty of other stackable coupons & discounts that ARE available on-line, VISA+, Bing, that once can combine to lower there already discounted cost. It all balances out.

And for all your talk on fine print you sure don't read it clearly. It states "this coupon cannot be combine with any other coupon". Nobody is attempting to do so, it CAN be, & DOES state that it can be used AFTER sales or additional discounts (ie membership) are applied. And they all state "COUPON can be redeemed once per member". Coupon you see? You can print out as many coupons as you want, each one is just a separate coupon, & make as many trips as you like.
Old 08-03-09, 08:33 PM

Actually Sessa, Cheato is pretty much entirely right.

The $5 coupon page was meant as a promotion to get people to buy a membership, and they should not be used by people with "old" memberships.

Of course, if B&N really cared, they would program their computers to only allow one use per membership number, like plenty of other companies do. I find it hard to believe that they are that incompetent, to not be able to program it. After all, the online parts of their company only allow one use per member (generally). If they really wanted only one use per member, it would be a simple matter to implement it that way. So they probably don't mind multiple uses.

Do I feel guilty? Yes actually. I bought some today without using coupons to partially atone.
Old 08-03-09, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased Black Narcissus and Tales of Hoffmann. Waiting on The Red Shoes until the rumored remaster appears (or takes too long).

My wife has a collection of operas on VHS, so I think Tales of Hoffmann will float her boat.
Old 08-03-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Actually Sessa, Cheato is pretty much entirely right.

The $5 coupon page was meant as a promotion to get people to buy a membership, and they should not be used by people with "old" memberships.

Of course, if B&N really cared, they would program their computers to only allow one use per membership number, like plenty of other companies do. I find it hard to believe that they are that incompetent, to not be able to program it. After all, the online parts of their company only allow one use per member (generally). If they really wanted only one use per member, it would be a simple matter to implement it that way. So they probably don't mind multiple uses.

Do I feel guilty? Yes actually. I bought some today without using coupons to partially atone.
Wow, really, you feel guilty? I just don't look at it that way. I spent over 5 years managing a major retail store (Abercrombie & Fitch) & had people come in all the time taking advantage of various coupons & such, I couldn't care less. If there is a loophole that let's the customer get an extra discount, more power to them, they are still bringing money into the store. It's the companies fault. I'd feel guilty if I was breaking a rule, all I'm doing is using the exact wording on the coupon, that B&N put on their coupon to get an additonal discount & it's that same wording & discount that got me into a store to drop a couple of hundred dollars that I wouldn't have done otherwise, so I don't see how that is anything to feel guilty about. The coupon still got me to the store to spend a few hundred, that I never would have done otherwise.
Old 08-03-09, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Cheato
It's not just you.

However, it's generally counterproductive to argue about what is "moral" and what is not, not to mention an inappropriate use of this forum.
Old 08-03-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, really, you feel guilty? I just don't look at it that way. I spent over 5 years managing a major retail store (Abercrombie & Fitch) & had people come in all the time taking advantage of various coupons & such, I couldn't care less. If there is a loophole that let's the customer get an extra discount, more power to them, they are still bringing money into the store. It's the companies fault. I'd feel guilty if I was breaking a rule, all I'm doing is using the exact wording on the coupon, that B&N put on their coupon to get an additonal discount & it's that same wording & discount that got me into a store to drop a couple of hundred dollars that I wouldn't have done otherwise, so I don't see how that is anything to feel guilty about. The coupon still got me to the store to spend a few hundred, that I never would have done otherwise.
Dude, if you want to be sleazy, be sleazy but don't act like you're not. You're just full of rationalizing your actions with this 'hey, if they can do it let them' crap. It's not bringing money into the store that matters, it's bringing in money that keeps them in business and keeps their employees employed. Big difference.
Old 08-03-09, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Exactly. The wording is somewhat ambigious anyway. The coupon is YMMV though, as I only have two BN near me. I've been able to use it 3 times at one BN. Honestly, I would have used it more except their staff is pretty small and I see the same cashiers in there and a couple of them have already let me use the coupon (don't know whether or not they would have let me use it a second time).

The other BN didn't let me use it however. The strange part was that he insisted that the 50% off sale was a "promo" and their computer didn't let them do more than one promo. I argued that the coupon wasn't a promo but to no avail. I have no idea where he got that rationale. It was very frustrating as I stood there hassling with him for five minutes. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that BN anytime soon.
Old 08-03-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee

It's not bringing money into the store that matters, it's bringing in money that keeps them in business and keeps their employees employed. Big difference.
Did you read any of my posts, I was on their side for years. That coupon brought me into the store, to spend a lot of money. When that employee cashes out at the end of the night, it doesn't matter that some guy used a couple of $5 off coupons (which he was allowed to by the way), what matters is that thanks to that $5 off coupon, it brought me there & me being there spending a few hundred dollars, that wouldn't have been spent otherwise, may have caused that departments figures for the day to be a lot higher than normal. If that is your idea of sleazy, then what can I say, I don't live the perfect lifestyle judging others like you do.
Old 08-03-09, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks
However, it's generally counterproductive to argue about what is "moral" and what is not, not to mention an inappropriate use of this forum.
Let's all take this to heart and get back to discussing DVDs, sales, and Criterions.

Any specific strong recommendations in that amazon list? Lots of potential blind buys for me.
Old 08-03-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Let's all take this to heart and get back to discussing DVDs, sales, and Criterions.

Any specific strong recommendations in that amazon list? Lots of potential blind buys for me.
Only one I've seen on the list is Mona Lisa. I can recommend it for the Bob Hoskins and Robbie Coltrane performances (actually Coltrane was quite funny). It works as both a mystery and film about class status.

I thinking about doing a blind buy on Naked and L'Eclisse though. Luckily I have a bunch of Amazon GC I can use on this.
Old 08-03-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Bicycle Thieves is now $17.99,same shik different day at Amazon.

I'm going to pick up "M" great film worth owning.

Also someone was asking about Kurosawa blu-rays.

Theirs a Foreign set out,but it cost over $100
Akira Kurosawa Blu-ray Box Blu-ray
Limited Edition | Madadayo / The Quiet Duel AKA Shizukanaru Ketto / Ran / Rashomon

Blu-ray.com has A Review.
Old 08-03-09, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Only one I've seen on the list is Mona Lisa. I can recommend it for the Bob Hoskins and Robbie Coltrane performances (actually Coltrane was quite funny). It works as both a mystery and film about class status.

I thinking about doing a blind buy on Naked and L'Eclisse though. Luckily I have a bunch of Amazon GC I can use on this.
Thanks. I think I saw a Mona Lisa in store the other day and picked it up, as I'm a big fan of Hoskins. But if not I'll definitely order it from Amazon.

Hope you all don't mind this "advertisement", but I'm considering running a DVDTalk Criterion challenge for September. Thread is here if you're interested in providing input.

Last edited by Trevor; 08-04-09 at 01:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll certainly recommend Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, especially for $15.99.
Old 08-03-09, 11:42 PM

Jesus. I have no money at all.

...but The Third Man BD for $15.99!? blugh. (not a member at bn) I've been dying to pick up Raise the Red Lantern, Man Push Cart, and Chop Shop forever too.
Old 08-03-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Nice find OP!

This will more than make up for the unavailability of several of those titles due to the piss-poor selection at my local B&N.
Old 08-03-09, 11:52 PM

Thanks. I think I saw a Mona Lisa in store the other day and picked it up, as I'm a big fan of Hoskins. But if not I'll definietley order it from Amazon.

Hope you all don't mind this "advertisement", but I'm considering running a DVDTalk Criterion challenge for September. Thread is here if you're interested in providing input.
Heh. Yeah, you might have picked up too many during this sale if you can't remember. I'm the same way with Big Lots runs.
Old 08-04-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

1 Criterion, 1 blu-ray and 1 indie

M - 2 Disc Special Edition - Criterion Collection
The Omega Man [Blu-ray]
Big Dreams, Little Tokyo-Indie

I have not seen most of these movies from that list.
Here are ones that I own or would recommend to watch.

M...(Just bought)
Bicycle Thieves(own,Image one)
La Strada(if you don't need all the extras,Essential Arts Vol. II has it)
6 movies for under $40 when they where on sale at Barnes & Noble.Own

Last edited by JoeySeven; 08-04-09 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-04-09, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by theflicker
Heh. Yeah, you might have picked up too many during this sale if you can't remember. I'm the same way with Big Lots runs.
"Too many" is an understatement. I definitely have a problem. I hope I'm wrong, but between Amazon, a dozen or more online orders at B&N, and a couple dozen stops at the all-too-tempting physical B&N stores; I'm closing in on 200 I think. Many of those are in the box sets, and I bought more of the $30 list ones than the higher, so I averaged maybe under $7 per film. Luckily, some overtime opened up at work so that will pay for a good chunk of it; plus I had ~$200 in gift cards. But still, I have a serious problem. I blame DVDTalk.
Old 08-04-09, 12:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

M and Brief Encounter are the only movies on this list that I've watched from the Criterion DVDs. M is one of the greatest films of all time, is clearly a major influence on film noir, and has an incredible performance by Peter Lorre. Brief Encounter is overrated, due to the excellent direction and performances by Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson. I had assumed that the lack of explicit sexuality was a result of the censorship of the time, and didn't realize until my most recent viewing that they seem not to have done it at all-Celia Johnson apparently becomes hysterical at the thought of it.

The Third Man and I Know Where I'm Going are great movies that I want to watch whenever they are shown. The Tin Drum is also a great movie, but I don't think it's one that I'd watch over and over again.

Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Small Back Room and Green for Danger are excellent movies, but I was surprised when they were released as upper tier Criterions, because they don't seem like "important" films compared to some of the others on this list.

The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes are probably Hitchcock's best British films.

I don't remember the details of Pandora's Box especially well, but Louise Brooks was hot.

I'm not really the Anglophile that these comments suggest-The Museum of Modern Art had a very long series on British film when I was in school, so I saw many British movies from the 1920s through the 1950s at that time.
Old 08-04-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeySeven

Also someone was asking about Kurosawa blu-rays.

Theirs a Foreign set out,but it cost over $100
Akira Kurosawa Blu-ray Box Blu-ray
Limited Edition | Madadayo / The Quiet Duel AKA Shizukanaru Ketto / Ran / Rashomon

Blu-ray.com has A Review.
I just looked at this, sounded good except....no English subs.
Old 08-04-09, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't recommend enough Small Back Room. It's a fantastic noir-ish character piece about what goes on behind closed doors during WW2. IMO Powell's best film & very good double feature if you recently have seen Hurt Locker.
Old 08-04-09, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

"Too many" is an understatement. I definitely have a problem. I hope I'm wrong, but between Amazon, a dozen or more online orders at B&N, and a couple dozen stops at the all-too-tempting physical B&N stores; I'm closing in on 200 I think. Many of those are in the box sets, and I bought more of the $30 list ones than the higher, so I averaged maybe under $7 per film. Luckily, some overtime opened up at work so that will pay for a good chunk of it; plus I had ~$200 in gift cards. But still, I have a serious problem. I blame DVDTalk.
200!?? I hate to say it, but by the time you get around to watching everything you'll probably be able to get them cheaper.

Between DD & B&N, I ended up with 5 films and 1 tv season. That's barely an appetizer compared to your meal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.