$4.88 Universal DVDs at Walmart

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$4.88 Universal DVDs at Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 09:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
None at the store in eastside Portland. And I have a strong craving for talking mules.
Old 10-25-05, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from Wal-Mart. Nothing. I asked the employee in Electronics on the whereabouts of the 4.88 dvd's. He said when they carry them, there at the front of the store. So I went to the front and walked up and down the aisles and didn't come across anything. Maybe some Wal-Mart's are slower than others in getting this display. So the search continues...
Old 10-25-05, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are putting the display this week. It seems that some Wal-Marts have not recieved the promotional displays and the inventory, and that is why some places still don't have it. Just be patient and keep checking during the remainder of the week.
Old 10-25-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would..as I stated earlier, only about 10-12 Fletch's. My stoire had two displays....one had more Fletch's than the other but total was about 10-12.
Old 10-25-05, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I checked my wal-mart a few hours ago and nothing has been put out yet. I'm gonna go by a few of the supercenters around the area in a while and see what they have.
Old 10-25-05, 04:53 PM

Talked to a Department Manager and a Handleman rep today,

because the display was out at one Wal-Mart within the metro, but not at the next closest one.
They mentioned the displays were supposed to be out by today, but some stores were either behind in setting up or still awaiting it.

Expect most stores to have them out within the next week.
Old 10-25-05, 05:01 PM

But why is it every WalMart I call in my area is telling me this display has come and gone already?
Old 10-25-05, 05:01 PM

Add:
Psycho CE (1998)
Red Dragon CE
Far and Away
Captain Corelli's Mandolin

to the list already mentioned, all anamorphic widescreen

and Love Actually- Full Screen
Old 10-25-05, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
But why is it every WalMart I call in my area is telling me this display has come and gone already?

There's confusion between the recent $4.88 Warner Bros one time offer/display (which is all but gone most places) and the new $4.88 Universal one-time offer/display

Sad when the customers know more about the store's stock/promotions than the employees...
Old 10-25-05, 06:13 PM

Hey eau (and anyone else in the Willamette Valley):

The Lebanon store had these today. Big display in electronics by the cash registers. I would assume the Salem area stores probably have them by now as well, although the Mission St. and Commercial St. stores DID NOT have them Sunday when I checked.

A couple of notes:

1. If you are interested in October Sky, check the display carefully. Ours had both the original release and the SE. And yes, the SE rings up as $4.88.

2. Not that many of you care, but Josie and the Pussycats is the edited, family version.
Old 10-25-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was just back at Walmart...my (5) Fletch's are still safely hidden. I did pick up Bulletproof for $4.88...I love that movie!
Old 10-25-05, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Stangman68
1. If you are interested in October Sky. And yes, the SE rings up as $4.88.
Has DTS too which is a

I'll probably pick this up too as it is a great film.
Old 10-25-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
Just came back from Walmart. Almost bought Man on the Moon and Weird Science but with Christmas coming up just decided to purchase 5 copies of Fletch. The clerk gave me a dirty look when she was ringing them up. I told her, "I REALLY love this movie" very loudly. I think she bought it.
Old 10-25-05, 09:46 PM

If I don't somehow manage to find a copy of Fletch, I'm going to have to put a curse on all of you multiple copy buyers.
Old 10-25-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts
I'm gonna go again in the next few days. My display was in a big bin so I might not have gotten all the copies. If they have anymore I'll get one for you Altimus.

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 10-25-05 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-25-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
No luck, didn't find any of these $4.88 DVDs at my local Wally Mart.
Old 10-25-05, 10:36 PM

A big THANKS to the OP on this sale!

thanks a lot, there's a few titles i've really wanted to buy on this sale, but they've never been at the right price and there were even more that i'd just plain missed before. here's my haul, all $4.88 apiece.

bulletproof w/sandler & wayans
EDtv w/mcconaughey & jenna elfman
fletch-just picked up one copy, didn't want to be a hog!
for love of the game w/costner
man on the moon-underrated gem w/jim carrey
mo' better blues-one step closer to having all the spike lee movies i like.
nurse betty-comedy with chris rock and morgan freeman
october sky-had the old version w/no extras, glad to upgrade at $5
psycho-gus van sant remake, always wanted to see it.
reality bites-winona, ben stiller, and ethan hawke
red dragon-not a great movie, but entertaining enough.
weird science-my favorite out of all of these. love it!
Old 10-25-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fletch has been on my want list for quite a while, so I was more than pissed when my local walmart had a giant basket/cage of dvds all $5.50, but no fletch.
Old 10-25-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Just came back from Walmart. Almost bought Man on the Moon and Weird Science but with Christmas coming up just decided to purchase 5 copies of Fletch. The clerk gave me a dirty look when she was ringing them up. I told her, "I REALLY love this movie" very loudly. I think she bought it.
I sold all the ones I had (except one) on ebay for a nice profit. However, if that is what others are thinking of doing now....I would rethink that because it appears ebay is now getting flooded with Fletch's.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 10-26-05 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-26-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Still no Fletch or Weird Science in my Walmart's display. I wanted to sell my Fletch on eBay for $40 many months ago, but laziness and my pure hatred for eBay stopped me. I'm sure that eBay is already flooded with Fletches from Walmart and the price is probably down to $20 which isn't worth the effort. If $40 wasn't worth the effort to me, then $20 isn't. The last time I sold on eBay is when they had a flat 10 cent listing day... I think that was early January 2005 or possibly sometime in 2004, and I guess they don't do them any more. I have lots of stuff piled up hoping that someday some store has a $5 minimum DVD trade-in, Gamestop does the 3-for-1 new release (or Movie Stop comes to my area), or eBay has a 10 cent listing day. But I'm glad Walmart has these $4.88 displays.

I passed on October Sky because I'd never heard of it. Maybe I should read some reviews and reconsider.
Old 10-26-05, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stangman68
Hey eau (and anyone else in the Willamette Valley):

The Lebanon store had these today. Big display in electronics by the cash registers. I would assume the Salem area stores probably have them by now as well, although the Mission St. and Commercial St. stores DID NOT have them Sunday when I checked.

just went to Mission St. tonight and didn't see it out yet....but it was before midnight so hopefuly they will have it out tomorrow.
Old 10-26-05, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have a $4.88 Universal display up in the Electronics department at the Eugene Superstore on W. 11th. I managed to pick up:

The Adventures of Ma & Pa Kettle, Volume 1
The Adventures of Ma & Pa Kettle, Volume 2
Fletch
For Love of the Game
The Lonely Guy
The Plainsman; and
Reality Bites: 10th Anniversary Edition (watch out on that one; they also had the old 1998 edition in the display)
Old 10-26-05, 02:34 AM

Ceres, CA

At the Ceres, CA, Wal*Mart I found the Universal $4.88 display pushed up against a corner. It's a 2-sided cardboard shelving display about 4 & 1/2 feet high. I had to crouch down and reach behind it to access one of the sides.

Picked up:

Fletch
Francis the Talking Mule
MacArthur
Duel

(had already paid $14.99 a piece for the Kettles when they first came out, doh!)
Sure wish I would have found Weird Science.
Old 10-26-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looked in two locations in Northern Virginia and there was no universal display. Anyone have better luck around here?
Old 10-26-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The Porter Ranch Wal-Mart in CA had the display at the VERY BACK of the electronics Dept. Very easy to miss if you're just looking in the main DVD section. They also had the Nightmare on Elm Street/Texas Chainsaw display back there too.

They had a TON of titles. Pretty much one of every one mentioned here. I just picked up Duel & Broken Silence. Had most of the titles already and couldn't decide on Man on the Moon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.