Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BB Reward Zone Membership Coupon

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 01:45 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not going to renew. On principal alone.

1. I received the card for free.
2. The RZ cards help BB in many ways, one being their ability to track what types of items you buy, how frequently you shop at BB, how much you spend! This information is priceless to them. Kicking 5 bucks back to you here and there is nothing to BB. So if they want this information from me they'll have to give me the card for free! They did it before and they'll do it again! I can hold out longer than they can.

The average shopper (i.e.; non DVDTALKERS, that have paid for the RZ card) probably only earns one or two $5 certs per year, so the customers might think they're getting some incredible deal but it's BB that is actually benifiting from all that "priceless" customer information.

Don't get me wrong I love the program but only as long as its free to me and you! Sorry for the rant.
Old 07-23-04, 03:54 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I renewed my RZ with the coupon today. No problem at all. Thanks to the OP.
Old 07-23-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by hal9000

2. The RZ cards help BB in many ways, one being their ability to track what types of items you buy, how frequently you shop at BB, how much you spend! This information is priceless to them. Kicking 5 bucks back to you here and there is nothing to BB. So if they want this information from me they'll have to give me the card for free! They did it before and they'll do it again! I can hold out longer than they can.

The average shopper (i.e.; non DVDTALKERS, that have paid for the RZ card) probably only earns one or two $5 certs per year, so the customers might think they're getting some incredible deal but it's BB that is actually benifiting from all that "priceless" customer information.

Don't get me wrong I love the program but only as long as its free to me and you! Sorry for the rant.
Let me ask, how much in rewards certificates did you earn the past year during the program?

If it's significantly more than $10, I don't understand why you wouldn't renew? Esp, when it's essentially a free after rebate offer?

I actually paid $9.99 for it and have accumulated $30 in rewards certificates. Even though my membership expires 1/4/05, I'm still gonna use this coupon to renew.
Old 07-23-04, 09:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by hal9000

Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out.

Oh come on. Anyone who paid $10 for the card and only earned $10 in reward certificates over the course of a year knows they got screwed and will not renew. Best Buy isn't exactly pulling a fast one. Kroger, Blockbuster, and a million other evil corporations use the same cards. Moreover, it's not like they're using this customer data to develop a nuclear weapon. Heck, they might even use it to stock more items you are interested in (THE HORROR!!!). While the data IS useful to them, they get roughly the same information by asking you your zip code or phone number or by simply tracking what sells and what doesn't as a whole. You're not as important as you think.

Trust me, there are many more infuriating things in this world to rail against. You have to pick your battles, and the evils of the Best Buy Reward Zone card seems an awfully silly cause to champion.
Old 07-23-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HA! This thread is hilarious! Even free stuff is complained about on the internet. :-)

I've made over $300 in reward zone GCs this year. Yes...I bought a HDTV and a PC, but that only accounts for maybe half of them. Those who say Wal Mart or another retailer has lower prices just have ta take advantage of their price match. Every Tuesday I'm in Best Buy with my Fry's ads, or Circuit City or what have you. Non advertised items they simply call the store. And let's face it, with the exception of DDD's great 20% deal, the online coupons/deals of 1999 and such are gone.

I understand the "Big Brother-esque" concerns of tracking purchases, but I have a grocery store card as well and don't worry about that. Like someone said, maybe they'll realize folks DO buy catalog titles, and older movies, and ONLY widescreen, etc. And stock accordingly.

No..this is not for everyone, but I haven't seen anyone say "Best Buy is too far from my house." Other than that, and non-DVDTalkers, it's an easy choice.

Of course...all this is IMHO.
Old 07-23-04, 01:14 PM

I just received an email with an offer from Best Buy. Although not as good an offer, unless you plan on making a major purchase.

The details....

Receive 37,500 bonus points equal to $15 in reward certificates when you renew your membership for $9.99 by 8/9/04 and spend $200 or more.**
CASHIER INSTRUCTIONS: Review coupon expiration date. Scan all products. Purchases of gift cards, sales tax and shipping and restocking fees are not eligible to qualify for the $200. Purchases paid by reward certificates are also not eligible. Scan coupon barcode. Scan membership card barcode. Renew customer. Press "Total." Write VOID on coupon and place in register media file.
*If you do not renew your membership by the expiration date above, your account will become inactive and the points on your membership account that day will be forfeited. Once your account is inactive, you will no longer earn points on your purchases.
**Present this coupon and membership card to cashier at time of purchase. Members must purchase $200 or more in eligible products, excluding online purchases, gift cards, sales tax, shipping charges or restocking fees. Purchases made with reward certificates do not qualify as part of the $200 purchase within this offer. Limit one per coupon, per membership. Not valid in combination with any other offers or on prior purchases. Redeem in-store only; only on in-stock items. Cash value of 1/100 of 1 cent. Coupon valid 7/19/04 - 8/9/04. Limit one renewal offer per membership per transaction.
Old 07-23-04, 01:16 PM

yeah i just got that coupon, but you have to spend 200 dollars. What is up with that crap
Old 07-23-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, far I received $240 RZ Gift Certificate and my card expires in September.

I'll Renew it later this week.......buy use my $10 Reward Zone Certificate
Old 07-23-04, 02:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by groundhog
I just received an email with an offer from Best Buy. Although not as good an offer, unless you plan on making a major purchase.

The details....

Receive 37,500 bonus points equal to $15 in reward certificates when you renew your membership for $9.99 by 8/9/04 and spend $200 or more.**
Aye, that's the deal I was offered. 'Tis crap.
Old 07-23-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, has anyone successfully used this if your expiration date is different than 7/31?

Mine ends on 8/31 and I was thinking about trying. I wasn't going to renew otherwise.

The instructions tell the cashier to look at the expiration date so it might not work. It is worth a try though. You could always blame them for sending you the email inadvertantly.
Old 07-23-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by squi23
Sweet!

Like many others, I was undecided about renewing.
This clinches it!!!

I'm guessing this email only went to people who accumulated over a certain $$$ of of Reward Zone cash, which is why I haven't gotten the email ( I only earned about $90 or so)

Much thanks OP!!!
I received this email. I received $85 in certificates. I had paid for my membership last year.

I also received the extra 3 months offer earlier in the month.

This one is a no brainer for me.
Old 07-23-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this coupon. I renewed the other day with it & greatly appreciate it.

As for some people being against tracking purchases...my question is why? Everyone bitches when they release full screen only dvds or ones without loads of extras, etc. Best Buy (and other companies) seeing you actually purchase widescreen titles & loaded 2 disc sets helps drive the market and create more.

I love that my grocery store may track my purchases. That way I never have to worry about them dumping my favorite BBQ sauce.
Old 07-23-04, 08:33 PM

I've already gotten back $500 in certificates while in the program, so I had no problem in paying the 10 bucks to renew.

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
This is exactly why I am not going to renew.

I got mine for free. Now they want me to spend money to redeem their certificates just to make it free again.

If they want my business they can continue to make the program for free. I am definitely not paying for the privilege of paying higher prices at BB.
Old 07-23-04, 08:40 PM

I just received my renewal offer in the mail (it's a different bar code than the one posted). Funny thing is, they sent me a request to renew a few weeks ago but it was something like an extra month of membership (I tossed it) but with this better offer of 25,000 points, I think I will renew now.
Old 07-23-04, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I see I have three certificates "pending". Let me guess - they're waiting to see if I renew.

(Jerry Maguire impression) "Fine! Fine! Fine! Fine!!"

Actually thanks to whoever pointed out registering purchases online, I think i'd rather do it that way. I'll renew my RZ, but i'm not gonna feel like I have to go to BB for everything.

Side note - the cashiers their are actually recognizing me now. Things like "you come here all the time", or "you should apply here" i've been hearing lately... Anybody else go thru this? Maybe i'll start changing up the times I go in or something...

QUESTION - can you claim purchases made at BB.com as well? Do they give you a pin# of some kind to enter?

Last edited by Artman; 07-23-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Artman
QUESTION - can you claim purchases made at BB.com as well? Do they give you a pin# of some kind to enter?
I emailed them a while back with that same question. This is how they responded:

At this time, online purchases are not eligible for reward zone points. This may be possible in the future as our technicians are constantly upgrading our systems.

I think this is idiotic. You should be able to add your RZ member number to your bestbuy.com account profile and have purchases there automatically registered. Maybe if more people suggest this, they'll get interested. Then again, maybe not.
Old 07-24-04, 04:43 AM
Cool New Member

Did anyone have to pay sales tax on their Reward Zone membership?!? I've never had to pay tax on the Suncoast one when I used to get it. I mean, does BB actually consider the program a service?
Old 07-24-04, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
So, far I received $240 RZ Gift Certificate and my card expires in September.

I'll Renew it later this week.......buy use my $10 Reward Zone Certificate
let us know if we can do it. thanks.
Old 07-24-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
I'm debating trying the PDF, I have doubts I'm going to get the points. I received an email stating only the extra 3 months. It didn't mention the points at all. Looks different too.
I only made $95 in reward zone certs, maybe you have to break $100? But, mine doesn't expire until 8/31. Maybe I should wait...

I want to renew for free.

Has anyone, that didn't get this email, confirmed if the points show up on your receipt or anything? Shown up on your balance online?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-04, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by IDrinkMolson
Has anyone, that didn't get this email, confirmed if the points show up on your receipt or anything? Shown up on your balance online?
I'm wondering about this, too. I renewed today, and my receipt says:

6031484 COUPON 0.00
VALUED CUSTOMER

It was scanned before the employee scanned my card or added my Reward Zone renewal fee.

Anybody have something different appear? If so, was your coupon scanned before or after your card was scanned?
Old 07-25-04, 05:10 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wapcaplet
I'm wondering about this, too. I renewed today, and my receipt says:

6031484 COUPON 0.00
VALUED CUSTOMER

It was scanned before the employee scanned my card or added my Reward Zone renewal fee.

Anybody have something different appear? If so, was your coupon scanned before or after your card was scanned?
I had the same thing. Coupon was scanned before my RZ card and finally the renewal fee.
Old 07-25-04, 05:27 PM

I CANT OPEN THE PDF ARRRGGGHHH!
Old 07-26-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Artman
Side note - the cashiers their are actually recognizing me now. Things like "you come here all the time", or "you should apply here" i've been hearing lately... Anybody else go thru this? Maybe i'll start changing up the times I go in or something...
I've gotten that from quite a few BB employees in the past. I've made some friends from the BB store I go to a lot and they always take care of me when I go in there since I've purchased a lot from their store in the past.
Old 07-26-04, 02:35 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RockStrongo
So, has anyone successfully used this if your expiration date is different than 7/31?

Mine ends on 8/31 and I was thinking about trying. I wasn't going to renew otherwise.

The instructions tell the cashier to look at the expiration date so it might not work. It is worth a try though. You could always blame them for sending you the email inadvertantly.
Old 07-26-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I went in and renewed, using reward zone certificates to pay for the membership. It worked, no problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.