Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Free Comic Book Day - May 2, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day - May 2, 2015

I had a good FCBD.

I didn't get to my usual shop till around 2 so there wasn't a lot of the free tables. I got Savage Dragon, Valiant 25th, and Secret Wars 0. The manga-style Attack on Titan looked interesting, but the guy in front of me took the last two copies. Taking both, WTF? And that when the store was restricting it to two total issues (they've traditionally allowed four). They didn't blink when I had three, perhaps because I also bought TWD 23 (which I didn't even know was out), Dark Horse Presents #9, and Savage Sword of Conan #10, all at 30% off. The Dark Horse anthology I just randomly flipped through, but this issue had a Mike Grell-written and -illustrated Tarzan/Opar story. Score! It was only a few pages, and it was concluded in another issue, but I still liked it. The Savage Sword anthology I've picked up before--short stories of Conan, Kull, Solomon Kane, etc... but the one on top just happened to include the classic Kull story "Demon in a Silvered Glass," which I've mentioned here recently and is one of my favorite sword-and-sorcery stories. It was colorized, which I'm not wild about, but the idea of having the story in a slim near-stand-alone volume was worth the small cost, and having it in color added novelty.

I almost called it a day, but I traditionally hit a second store so I went there as well, and they had even fewer. I got Divergence and the Overstreet Marketplace. I wandered into the store, and they had a ton of shelf volumes of classic reprints: EC, Wally Wood, European stuff... just a ton of gorgeous selections that made me feel lucky to have all this stuff available. Most of it didn't interest me enough to buy, but I happened to notice the name of John Bolton on one oversized hardcover--Bolton, the fantastic British artist who did the Kull story I mentioned above. This was called Marada the She-Wolf and also credited Chris Claremont. Intrigued, I took it down and flipped through and realized I'd read the story before, back in the '80s in Epic Illustrated, around the same time as Kull but something I hadn't thought about in years. It wasn't cheap at $25, but the store was offering 10% off everything, and while I could have gotten it for $19 from Amazon, I figured I should reward the store that had the book in stock and displayed it in a way that let me discover it. I read through it on Sunday and found that I'd read the first two-thirds but for some reason had never read the last part. Great discovery! The volume also includes an intro and background info so I'll have to read that as well. I also saw the Claremont and Bolton collaborated on one more project, called The Black Dragon, so I'll have to pick that up. I was also intrigued by their large stock of European comics, and was going to pick up one of a series by Leo Aldebaran, but they only had the last five of six volumes. Doh! So I'll have to pick up the first online.

Old 05-04-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That art looks fantastic in Marada The She-Wolf.
Old 05-04-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That art looks fantastic in Marada The She-Wolf.
Yeah, Bolton is really ideal for fantasy for me.

Spoiled for size:

Spoiler: