Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Animal Man #1 - the first EXCELLENT issue and reminiscent of the classic 80s Grant Morrison run on the title. Well done DC.
I had high hopes with Lemire on the book, but I was still blown away. Just a ton of awesome. Easily the top of the pack for this week's releases.
Old 09-09-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Hawk and Dove #1 - Meh. Story was OK, but the Liefeld art was... well, it was Liefeld art. Loathed it back then, and it hasn't gotten any better really. Count how many grimaces you can find on the first 4 pages alone...

Men Of War #1 - Really Good... maybe even Excellent, really. I just don't quite know how well
Spoiler:
the "superhero" elements are going to mesh with the gritty, military realism they're shooting for.
All in all though, my 2nd favorite "New 52" title so far (after Animal Man).
Old 09-09-11, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Since it looks like this is success, at least in the short term, how long before Marvel does a line-wide reboot and Tom Brevoort claims they did it first?

Its way too premature to call it a success, even in the short term. We are only in the second week and less than half the titles are out yet. Anyway, #1 issues always sell like hotcakes, so the first month will prove nothing anyway. Wait a few more months and see how well the #3 and #4 issues sell to determine just how much of a success/failure it is.
Old 09-09-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked Detective and Action. Detective was actually a pretty dense read (by modern comic standards) as well. Like others have said, Detective feels like it is set in the past as well, but I don't know if DC has said it was. If it is, then Action and Detective are set before JLA is set before the rest of the DC books?

If anyone read Tom De Haven's wonderful It's Superman, Action made me think about that book's portrayal of Supes a lot.
Old 09-09-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
If it is, then Action and Detective are set before JLA is set before the rest of the DC books?
And thus my problem with this whole launch. The disjointed timelines and no notification of when anything is taking place in reference to everything else. It really goes against any kind of cohesive feeling that this universe should be creating out of the gate. Shit just doesn't make sense time wise as it is if you're reading everything.
Old 09-09-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I kinda like that one, actually. Not enough to offset the rest of what you quoted, mind you. I dunno. I was skeptical at first, then I kind of talked myself into being curious, then vaguely excited and now I'm deflated hearing how awful so many of these issues have been. I may just wait till the end of the month and check out All-Star Western and Superman, the two that interest me most, and let the others pass.
I enjoyed the 12 issues of GA he wrote prior to this current stunt. However, I did not like the new #1. It just felt trite and cliche' *way* too often. The "villans" also didn't impress me much and overall I felt it is a very generic type comic/story. It got dropped.

I wasn't planning to get any of the Superman titles but one of the guys talked good about Action so I read it in the store. It was pretty good and has a fairly interesting premise I don't recall seeing in a Supes book before. I added it to my file at least for the first story arc. I'm not happy about the price but at least the page count is higher and, if the page count stays the same, a better value than the $2.99 titles especially since their page count is now lower.

I've not yet read Batgirl, but picked it up simply because I like Barbara as Batgirl (and Oracle for that matter) and Simone did a good job on BOP. I'm willing to give it at least the first arc's worth of books before I decide.

I didn't look at or pick up any of the other titles this week but another customer commented that he really wanted Detective to be Batman *solving* crimes *not* just another "superhero" type book. I have to agree on that point. I might have picked it up had it returned more to its roots, although it *is* nice to have Bruce back in the suit. Damian as Robin is the main reason I'm not getting any of the Batman books. I do not like the character. I'm one of the few in the store here who didn't care for the Dick/Damian duo and dropped the Batman books when that pairing occurred.
Old 09-10-11, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I really liked Detective and Action. Detective was actually a pretty dense read (by modern comic standards) as well. Like others have said, Detective feels like it is set in the past as well, but I don't know if DC has said it was. If it is, then Action and Detective are set before JLA is set before the rest of the DC books?
DC has been purposely vague it appears on when the events in Detective are occurring. My guess is there will be some reveal in a future issue related to this development.

In other news, I actually saw the DC commercial in HD during a show on Comedy Central. If I didn't know anything about comics, I am not sure it would make me run down to find a local comics ship. The commercial looks targeted towards people already familiar with the industry.
Old 09-10-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superfro
And thus my problem with this whole launch. The disjointed timelines and no notification of when anything is taking place in reference to everything else. It really goes against any kind of cohesive feeling that this universe should be creating out of the gate. Shit just doesn't make sense time wise as it is if you're reading everything.
Yeah, the timeline stuff is a little messy, and probably needlessly "complex", but I get it. I could say how this might confuse new readers and yadda yadda, but I don't really care about that. I'm selfish. I just want to read some cool comics, and Tec and Action certainly felt like that to me. It's been AGES since I've been interested in either Batman or Superman comics. So that makes me happy.

That said, I do agree that the cohesive nature of the launch might prove to be weird. I don't know how it's going to be reading Tec and Action with the rookie versions of the characters, and if those versions of the characters not reading similar to the JLA versions, who might not feel similar to the Batman and Superman versions of the characters. But we'll see.
Old 09-10-11, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I was disappointed with Batgirl. Not that the first issue was bad but it didn't leave me wanting more. Maybe I had too much expectation from Simone and it was only the first issue so I'll take a wait and see attitude towards this title.
I was also enjoying Stephanie Brown turn as Batgirl so I'm hoping that she shows up in the new DC Universe.
Old 09-10-11, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never read it in any of its previous incarnations, but I really enjoyed Stormwatch. It's what Justice League should have been. The various characters were introduced through the issue, characterizations and relationships are established, and several intriguing plotlines are set up. Lots of promise in this one.
Old 09-10-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Static #1 - EXCELLENT. A fun, well-written, exciting superhero comic. Great intro to the character, his powers, his setup, his family, everything. The "villains" were a little on the cliche side, but it was the character moments that really stood out (as well as the science bits too -- I'm always a sucker for those.) Of all the "pure superhero" comics that came out so far, this one is my favorite. To be fair though, I was a HUGE Milestone fan back in the day.

Swamp Thing #1 -- OK. Setup, really. I'll have to see how this plays out over the next issue or two in order to determine if I want to stick around. Decent enough to get me to purchase #2, but that has to step its urgency up considerably.

Still haven't read STORMWATCH yet. I suppose I'll get around to it over the weekend...
Old 09-10-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hokey, does Static now feel like he's a part of the DCU now, or does he still feel like he's in his own corner?
Old 09-10-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend who works in a comic store gave me a copy of JLA#1. Knowing I don't buy new stuff he thought I might like it. wow...what a POS. I was a huge Jim Lee fan when he first started but his art hasn't gotten any better and don't get me started with the story. Awful and all for only $4. Good thing I stopped buying new books years ago and just concentrated on BA and SA books. On a sidenote I started reading the Starman series from the nineties. Even though I hated most books from then; this series is amazing. I'm glad I discovered this even though I'm a decade late. Awesome storyline; reads like a good long novel. I'd like to see DC top that.
Old 09-10-11, 03:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Animal Man is most definitely the best of the current set of issues.
Old 09-10-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hokey, does Static now feel like he's a part of the DCU now, or does he still feel like he's in his own corner?
He's in no further corner than, say, Stormwatch or Animal Man or Batwing or whatever. But it's a great comic. There's appearances by Hardware (SWEET!) and references to Dakota, plus he now works at S.T.A.R. Labs.
Old 09-10-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
A friend who works in a comic store gave me a copy of JLA#1. Knowing I don't buy new stuff he thought I might like it. wow...what a POS. I was a huge Jim Lee fan when he first started but his art hasn't gotten any better and don't get me started with the story. Awful and all for only $4. Good thing I stopped buying new books years ago and just concentrated on BA and SA books. On a sidenote I started reading the Starman series from the nineties. Even though I hated most books from then; this series is amazing. I'm glad I discovered this even though I'm a decade late. Awesome storyline; reads like a good long novel. I'd like to see DC top that.
The James Robinson who wrote STARMAN in the 90s can NOT be the same James Robinson who put out all those turdlicious JLA and Superman books over the past few years. Holy moley.

But I agree with you. His STARMAN series was TOP FREAKIN' NOTCH.
Old 09-10-11, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm wanting to pick these up and jump in with Detective Comics and The Dark Knight and maybe a Superman title, but none of the stores around here have them yet. We've only got a Books a Million (Barnes and Noble shut their doors here), and they still haven't put out the books from Sept. 7. This may mean I don't jump onboard, which would be fine. I'm just interested in getting into some titles since this seems like kind of a fresh start.
Old 09-10-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Ron Marz retweeted this earlier from @makehavoc247:

http://yfrog.com/o05tcej This is what makes you want to illegally download! Fucking outrage! 3 days after it comes out @ronmarz

So, yeah, this is just what the industry needs. A lot of us interested in checking out comics again for the first time in ages and ridiculous mark-ups within days of hitting the shelves.

Also, I was at Barnes & Noble earlier tonight and took a gander. They had nary a relaunch issue on their shelves. Do they not stock on the same schedule as the local shops?
Old 09-10-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^This is why downloading (legally) is the way to go. Fucking LCBS's doing the same markup bullshit that collapsed the industry in the 90s. Nice work. All your customers are being driven to three little letters: d.c.p...
Old 09-10-11, 11:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Ron Marz retweeted this earlier from @makehavoc247:

So, yeah, this is just what the industry needs. A lot of us interested in checking out comics again for the first time in ages and ridiculous mark-ups within days of hitting the shelves.

Also, I was at Barnes & Noble earlier tonight and took a gander. They had nary a relaunch issue on their shelves. Do they not stock on the same schedule as the local shops?
Uch. I hate how speculative the comic market has become. The whole reason old comics are valuable is because people didn't know they would ever be an item of value, so most were lost/tossed away/damaged/not protected. Heck, my dad told me that he got most of his valuable comics years after the fact for $7 or $8 a piece. And I'm talking about very early runs of famous comics. No one in the 60's assumed that comics could ever be worth more than that.

Now, when everyone is encasing comics in marble and sealing them in vacuum bubbles, no one comic will ever be worth all that much. This shit is one of the reasons I went digital this time around.

Also, anyone who pays $7.50 for Batwing deserves to be ripped off.
Old 09-11-11, 12:17 AM
Banned

"Most violent Joker story ever!"

Only the last page was really all that violent. The Killing Joke was far more violent.
Old 09-11-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Uch. I hate how speculative the comic market has become. The whole reason old comics are valuable is because people didn't know they would ever be an item of value, so most were lost/tossed away/damaged/not protected. Heck, my dad told me that he got most of his valuable comics years after the fact for $7 or $8 a piece. And I'm talking about very early runs of famous comics. No one in the 60's assumed that comics could ever be worth more than that.
I remember seeing a photograph (I think it posted at Heidi MacDonald's The Beat blog) of a book shop from the 1960s that also sold comic books.

Sitting atop a big pile of comic books on the counter is a copy of Action Comics #1. Yes, that one.
Old 09-11-11, 12:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet

Now, when everyone is encasing comics in marble and sealing them in vacuum bubbles, no one comic will ever be worth all that much. This shit is one of the reasons I went digital this time around.

Exactly. Its all about supply and demand, which most people don't seem to understand. The original Action Comics #1 is worth a million dollars precisely because the supply is so low. It is 70 years old, and there are only a handful of copies still in existence, and even fewer in good shape. Today's comics will never have low supply. 70 years from now there will still be thousands upon thousands of copies out there because everyone bags and boards now and takes better care of their comics. This price gouging on the new 52 is just a temporary thing because it is currently the hot new fad. A year from now they are going to be worth only a couple dollars, just like X-men Vol. 2 #1.
Old 09-11-11, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

^This is why downloading (legally) is the way to go. Fucking LCBS's doing the same markup bullshit that collapsed the industry in the 90s. Nice work. All your customers are being driven to three little letters: d.c.p...
The money the LCBS's will make off of this will help them stay in business a little longer, it won't make them rich.
Old 09-11-11, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth, my wife sold all her copies of Batgirl this week for $1.50. So not ALL LCBS's are shit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.