Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Any DC Absolutes in the pipeline?

In the Promethea TPB, the final issue was included as a fold-out in the back of the book; sort of like a Playboy centerfold. The printing was tiny but still readable.

And Preacher is Vertigo's second best selling title, right behind Sandman. Despite having ended a decade ago, the paperbacks still sell well; most chain bookstores I've been in have most, if not all, of the volumes still in stock.

It probably would have been given hardcover editions sooner, but Ennis has historically been opposed to the idea because he believed that Preacher was the kind of book you should fold in half stick in your back pocket. (Which strikes me as kind of odd, but that's what I read.)
Old 10-31-09, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I agree but maybe it's the start of the movie tie ins? Or maybe it's just Geoff Johns' turn at the format?

Still wish All Star Supes of Dark Victory would get announced.
All star Supes is definitely getting the Absolute treatment. I think that Dark Victory won't get it unless it's combined with Long Halloween, and honestly I don't think the story or art deserve it. The art is decent, but wouldn't look that great blown up and while the storyline in Halloween is decent, Victory is nothing but a hack 8th rate ripoff of the Godfather.
Old 11-08-09, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Darmund
All star Supes is definitely getting the Absolute treatment. I think that Dark Victory won't get it unless it's combined with Long Halloween, and honestly I don't think the story or art deserve it. The art is decent, but wouldn't look that great blown up and while the storyline in Halloween is decent, Victory is nothing but a hack 8th rate ripoff of the Godfather.
I keep hearing people talking about the potential Absolute All Star Superman, but can't find where they are getting this info. Do you remember where you heard this? Just wondering because I haven't bought Volume 2 yet, and will probably hold off if it is indeed getting an absolute treatment. This was probably my favorite superman book of all time.
Old 11-08-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by heavy liquid
Exactly. Another Absolute I'd love to have Y: The Last Man, but that too is being released in new Deluxe hardcovers. They could have easily split it up into 3 Absolutes of 20 issues each + extras. I can dream...
This was on my Absolute wish list as well, but I picked up the first two hardcovers on sale. I do like the readability of this size compared to larger tomes.
Old 11-08-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
I keep hearing people talking about the potential Absolute All Star Superman, but can't find where they are getting this info. Do you remember where you heard this? Just wondering because I haven't bought Volume 2 yet, and will probably hold off if it is indeed getting an absolute treatment. This was probably my favorite superman book of all time.
It hasn't been announced. Everyone is assuming that an Absolute ASS will eventually be made. It's twelve issues, all by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, it's critically acclaimed and a fan favorite.

I'm actually sort of surprised it hasn't been announced yet, unless they're waiting for Frank Miller and Jim Lee to finish up ASBARTBW.

(And I pray that DC doesn't do something stupid like package ASS and ASBARTBW together in the same Absolute Edition like they did with TDKR and TDKSA.)
Old 11-08-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
ASBARTBW
Trying not google here: All-Star Batman and Robin the Black White?
Old 11-08-09, 04:44 PM

All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder
Old 11-08-09, 04:45 PM

And I would kill for an Absolute All Star Superman. I love Jim Lee, but All Star Batman and Robin sucked pretty bad.
Old 11-08-09, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once I got over what I had expected from All Star Batman and Robin, i just accepted it as a twisted parody. I'd buy it in an Absolute, but as I've said before I am DC's bitch when in comes to these things. I'm skeptical of ever being completed though. And now I read on some forum (here?) Holy Terror Batman is being reworked without Batman. Seems Miller is falling out of favor with DC?
Old 11-09-09, 01:19 PM
Banned

It hasn't been announced. Everyone is assuming that an Absolute ASS will eventually be made. It's twelve issues, all by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, it's critically acclaimed and a fan favorite.

I'm actually sort of surprised it hasn't been announced yet, unless they're waiting for Frank Miller and Jim Lee to finish up ASBARTBW.

(And I pray that DC doesn't do something stupid like package ASS and ASBARTBW together in the same Absolute Edition like they did with TDKR and TDKSA.)

Actually an Absolute ASS was announced as coming up by Dan Dido at one of the various comic book conventions.

As for ASB&R by Miller and Lee, wasn't that cancelled and replaced with Morrison's Batman and Robin?
Old 11-11-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Absolute Justice came out today and it is sexy as all fuck.
Old 11-16-09, 03:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In case anyone is curious, I got Absolute Death. It's got the two miniseries (Time of Your Life and The High Cost of Living), the issue where she first appears in Sandman (The Sound of Her Wings), her solo story from Endless Nights, and a one-off Neil did after 9/11 which also features Destruction
Spoiler:
(suggesting perhaps he came back to guide change in the wake of 9/11, or perhaps he even came back specifically to hatch 9/11?).

I would say, if you're not a huge Sandman/Death fan, it wouldn't really be worth it. The existing Death graphic novels are decent, and the only story you can't get anywhere else easily is the one-off. Still, it's got the base level of quality of an Absolute, and as a Sandman fanatic I'm happy to have it.
Old 11-16-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Absolute Death is grossly over-priced at $99, though. Should've left out the two Sandman issues (#8 and #20?) and just offered the thing for $50.
Old 11-16-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and before I forget, DC's December solicits came out today, and they have Absolute Planetary Vol 2 and a reprint of Vol 1 listed, at $75 each.
Old 11-16-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Absolute Justice came out today and it is sexy as all fuck.
Agreed. I read the 3 small HC's that a friend let me borrow, but oversized is incredible.
Old 11-16-09, 08:52 PM

I was browsing half-price books while my wife was in class tonight. They had 2 dinged up copies of Absolute Watchmen and Dark Knight. Sad looking. They were half-price. They'll look even worse within the week I am sure. Surprised they weren't in the glass case.
Old 11-16-09, 09:23 PM

Oh, and before I forget, DC's December solicits came out today, and they have Absolute Planetary Vol 2 and a reprint of Vol 1 listed, at $75 each.
Not real interested in having them in this format since they aren't DC/Vertigo, but I am sure they are great. I'll get around to reading it someday.

ABSOLUTE PLANETARY BOOK TWO HC
Advance-solicited • On sale July 7 • 384 pg, FC, $75 US
Written by Warren Ellis
Art and cover by John Cassaday
Snow, Jakita and the Drummer take on their nemeses the Four...then death itself! PLANETARY reaches its conclusion as the field team made a mad decision regarding an old friend. The Absolute Edition Book Two collects issues #13-27 of the stunning series.

ABSOLUTE PLANETARY BOOK ONE HC NEW PRINTING
Advance-solicited • On sale July 7 • 320 pg, FC, $75 US
Written by Warren Ellis
Art and cover by John Cassaday
PLANETARY has been hailed as a timeless story that turned modern superhero conventions on their heads. These Archeologists of the Unknown delve into secret places most beings fear to tread. Book One is once again available in the Absolute format, collecting issues #1-12 plus the full script from issue #1.
Old 11-17-09, 02:23 AM
Banned by request

Absolute Death is grossly over-priced at $99, though. Should've left out the two Sandman issues (#8 and #20?) and just offered the thing for $50.
Got mine for $62 from Amazon.

And it's issue 8 of Sandman and then the Death portion of Endless Nights, which is available in a hardcover, although somewhere earlier in the thread someone posted that Gaiman mentioned a potential fifth Sandman Absolute that would include all of Endless Nights.
Old 11-17-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Got mine for $62 from Amazon.
Don't shrug at me - that doesn't make Absolute Death any less of a rip-off, as you can alos get the bigger 12 to 20 issue Absolute collections at amazon for $62.
Old 11-17-09, 04:31 PM
Banned by request

Don't shrug at you?

As I said, it's probably not worth it unless you're a huge Sandman/Neil Gaiman fan, which I am.
Old 11-17-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Neil Gaiman thinks it cost too much:

Also, Absolute Death was published this week. It is amazingly beautiful. Yes, I think they overpriced it too and no, pricing decisions at DC Comics are nothing to do with me.
Old 11-18-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Agreed. I read the 3 small HC's that a friend let me borrow, but oversized is incredible.
This bears repeating: Absolute Justice is an amazing book - it's probably the best Absolute book I've seen yet. It's so beautiful, so well put-together, that you're just left in awe.

This analogy is appropriate for this forum:

Think of the original monthly mini-series as a TV-broadcast, in a cropped 4x3 standard definition format. Then the original trades would be akin the barebones DVDs, released in three separate volumes. And now this Absolute edition is the blu-ray box-set collecting the entire series in a glorious 1080p transfer, with some significant and worthwhile extras.

Anyone with even a marginal interest in comics needs to have this on their shelf. Absolutely amazing.
Old 11-18-09, 09:14 PM

Interesting comment Slop. This is the one they had a contest to design right? Give that guy a job!
Old 11-18-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, no - the contest was just to design a print and online ad for the book, not for the actual book.
Old 11-23-09, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
This bears repeating: Absolute Justice is an amazing book - it's probably the best Absolute book I've seen yet. It's so beautiful, so well put-together, that you're just left in awe.

Anyone with even a marginal interest in comics needs to have this on their shelf. Absolutely amazing.

Well this got me. Which means that you get all the credit/blame for the purchase. Better hope I like it.

If anyone else is being tempted, B&N.com has some nice coupons starting Wednesday. Absolute Justice will be ~$40 for members, ~$50 for non-members if the current price holds up. Much cheaper than amazon. Coupon info can be found at the bottom of the first post here. You do need a mastercard to use the 40%/25% off coupons though.

Now I am trying to decide if I want to pick up the two Absolute Planetary editions. I would just need the 4th trade to complete the ones I already have. It would have been a much easier decision if I had bought the first one when it was released with a $50 msrp. Anybody want to twist my arm in either direction? Perhaps someone here has the first one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.