Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

I agree that the iPad is a bit of a let down as I have been saying all along I was waiting for Apple to reveal their eReader. I would never be able to read books on a lit screen like that and I do a lot of reading out doors. It does look really awesome though for magazines and may be a HUGE boost for digital comics so I will likely get one eventually.

For now I still remain in love with my Kindle.
Old 01-28-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really looking forward to the Ipad for the books, since its got a nice color screen, it would be great for Magazines and comics. But like someone mentioned its not gonna be one to take outside in the sun and read.
Old 01-29-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I would, but I can't see how one adds notes. I'm going back to school, so the option of adding notes in the "margins" is useful to me. So either I put up with the Kindle workarounds or the Nook inconsistencies. Or I hold off and see if anything more interesting drops.

Edit: Hmm, it appears the two touch models allow text entry for notes via an on-screen keyboard. Interesting. Maybe I will go for a Sony. Has anyone used the Sony Daily Reader Edition? Is it worth the price premium over a Kindle? Is the touch responsive?
Actually, I have the 900 and my wife has a Kindle. The 900 has a couple of nice things. The replaceable user battery and expansion slots are very nice. Amazon has more or less forced Sony to lower prices on books, and I actually did a test note and it was fairly straightforward. I've had a 500 and 505 and this is my favorite yet.
Old 01-29-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
I am really looking forward to the Ipad for the books, since its got a nice color screen, it would be great for Magazines and comics. But like someone mentioned its not gonna be one to take outside in the sun and read.
I use my iPod Touch all the time to read and it works pretty well if you can find shade and crank up the brightness all the way. In the sun though nothing beats eink. I mostly use my device to read at night so a back lit screen works for me.
Old 01-29-10, 06:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stp115
Actually, I have the 900 and my wife has a Kindle. The 900 has a couple of nice things. The replaceable user battery and expansion slots are very nice. Amazon has more or less forced Sony to lower prices on books, and I actually did a test note and it was fairly straightforward. I've had a 500 and 505 and this is my favorite yet.
Yeah, the more I read about it the more I think it has everything I want. I'm going to go for it.
Old 01-30-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the iPad should be awesome for comics. Plus, it's got all that other added functionality (games, gps, apps, etc), so that's cool and I'll probably get one. I do wish it had some sort of e-ink mode though, because then it would be perfect.
Old 01-30-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Never thought of comics with the first ipad discussions. That would be great.
Old 01-30-10, 01:55 AM
Banned by request

Picked up the Sony Daily Edition. I'm definitely liking it so far, but I was surprised at how much light it needs to be readable. Guess I'm just used to backlighting. The refresh is great, and the touch is amazingly responsive. Everything about it is very intuitive, and I've already loaded on several Google books and books I purchased from places other than Sony. The reader handled them all perfectly. After spending several months weighing my ereader options, I feel good about this.
Old 01-30-10, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Subscribed to the LA Times through my reader. It's very well laid out and the 16 shades of gray make the photos look excellent. Impressive.

Edit: OK, a little less impressive than I thought. The LA Times is only the front section, business, and sports. Doesn't make sense to me to leave out the entertainment and local sections. Blerg.

Last edited by Supermallet; 01-31-10 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I got my Kindle in late August/early September. I love it. I probably read twice as much as I did before I got it. When I bought it, I was hoping it would be something I actually used, and it ended up becoming one of my favorite electronic devices I own.

That said, when I found out about the Nook and the Sony Touch ereaders, I was bummed, thinking I'd jumped the gun and bought an inferior product. I've had a chance to play with both, and find the Kindle far superior to either. The Nook is extremely sluggish (particularly the LCD...but page turning seems slower than the Kindle too) and not intuitive compared to the Kindle. Sony's touch screen has such a lag from the time you touch the screen to the time the page changes that it feels completely unnatural.
Old 02-05-10, 02:22 AM
Banned by request

The only lag I've found on the Sony reader is that it takes it a moment to load up a book. The page turns are super fast, either using the page turn buttons or the swipe motions. Did you use the stylus? I find that's a lot more accurate than using fingers.
Old 02-05-10, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only lag I've found on the Sony reader is that it takes it a moment to load up a book. The page turns are super fast, either using the page turn buttons or the swipe motions. Did you use the stylus? I find that's a lot more accurate than using fingers.
No, I was using my finger. It was a Sony kiosk at the Fashion Show Mall in Vegas. I didn't even know there was a stylus. It took so long for the page to change after flicking my finger on the screen that I almost wondered whether it was going to work. I asked the Sony employee if it was always this slow, and he actually said "yes."
Old 02-05-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I finally checked out a nook yesterday, I thought the page turning speed vs my kindle was pretty small, and I don't see it being an issue.

I didn't like the navigation at all, but I'm sure if I had one I'd get used to it.
Old 02-06-10, 03:01 AM
Banned by request

I picked up a year's subscription to the Fictionwise book club. I already accrued over $30 in micropay rebates, all for books I wanted in the first place, and bought at reasonable prices. A very cool website.
Old 02-06-10, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got my nook a couple of days ago and a few of the things that bugged me initially were fixed already with the firmware update that was pushed out yesterday (the speed of the touchscreen navigation and loading of books is drastically increased, the glitch that lost bookmarks and "Last Page Read" disappear is fixed, and very importantly, you can now organize the "My Documents" section by title or author). While there are a few things that still bother me, I'm very happy with the device so far. I like that B&N seems very willing to support the device now that supply has caught up with demand. Based off my experience so far (and that's just a few days, mind you) I'd recommend it to prospective ereader consumers.
Old 02-10-10, 08:49 AM

Ordered my Kindle and should be getting it today. Any book recomendations?
Old 02-10-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
Check your local Florida Libraries for ebook lending..I just got a kindle and it took me about an hour to figure out how to get borrowed books on it. Plus, Amazon has about 7000 public domain classics for free from the store. No better excuse to read all those masterpieces that you never bothered buying
Old 02-10-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I purchased a Kindle 2 about a couple weeks ago. I have read more in that time frame then I did all last year. So, the Kindle gets a big thumbs up from me.
Old 02-10-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a year's subscription to the Fictionwise book club. I already accrued over $30 in micropay rebates, all for books I wanted in the first place, and bought at reasonable prices. A very cool website.
Can you confirm which fictionwise formats work on Sony Readers. It looks like Secure pdf or Secure Adobe epub are the main formats that would work?
Old 02-10-10, 03:38 PM
Banned by request

That is correct, PDF (secure or not) and EPUB both work on the Sony readers. Mobipocket and Secure Ebook do not.
Old 02-10-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Sony Pocket Reader, just signed up for Fictionwise. Thanks for the tip! Downloading Under the Dome right now.
Old 02-10-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
Hard to recommend books for someone when you don't know what they like. I will say that I love reading series of books on the kindle, the ability to just finish a book and then instantly start the next part of a series is one of my favorite parts of owning a kindle.
Old 02-10-10, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

That is correct, PDF (secure or not) and EPUB both work on the Sony readers. Mobipocket and Secure Ebook do not.
If you use CALIBRE as your ebook manager it will convert non-DRM Mobi's to anything that will work on the Sony, and there are plug-ins that will make Calibre convert ANY Mobi to a Sony ready format. Its all done automatically in the UPLOAD TO DEVICE process
Old 02-10-10, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

How very very interesting. I will be downloading this when I get home. Oh yes, I will be downloading this when I get home.
Old 02-11-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
If you use CALIBRE as your ebook manager it will convert non-DRM Mobi's to anything that will work on the Sony, and there are plug-ins that will make Calibre convert ANY Mobi to a Sony ready format. Its all done automatically in the UPLOAD TO DEVICE process
That is very cool. Found the website and watched the video. Does this manage secure Adobe format as well? I have mostly bought and borrow (from library) secure Adobe. Is there a forum that has more information on Calibre I havent looked around yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.