Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 08:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Originally Posted by xfilekr
Dumb question: Is the SUBTERRANEAN PRESS one exclusive to them only? Or will it be on Amazon?
Not a dumb question. Amazon should get copies of it. However, it might be sold through one of their re-sellers -- this happened to one of the Subterranean books in the past.

I made the mistake of pre-ordering through Amazon, the reseller never did get the book in stock for some reason and I missed out on getting it since it sold out on the Subterranean site. Had to buy one aftermarket on eBay eventually.

For this, and future Sub releases I just now place an order on their site to be safe.
Old 03-11-13, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is it that Subterranean is publishing this when HCC is a Titan imprint? Also, does anybody know if these stories are doubles of what was published in other collections like Enough Rope? Maybe Charles or Lawrence will visit us again.
Old 03-12-13, 04:39 AM

Hey, everyone. Sorry to have been away for so long. To answer your questions:

1) THE SECRET LIVES OF MARRIED WOMEN and THE WRONG QUARRY will both be paperback originals. No hardcovers currently planned, other than CATCH AND RELEASE from Subterranean.

2) Subterranean did our Lawrence Block double volume last year (69 BARROW STREET and STRANGE EMBRACE), a deal we struck between when we lost Dorchester and when we signed our new deal with Titan. They then approached us to see if we'd be willing to do another -- CATCH AND RELEASE -- and I asked Titan if they would mind, and Titan said they wouldn't. It's a short story collection, not something we're ever likely to do with Titan, and it'll be printed in limited-edition quantities (maybe a couple of thousand copies, as compared, for instance, to 1 million copies for Stephen King's JOYLAND), and it's really not a threat of any sort to Titan. It's just a nice thing for us to be a part of.

--Charles
Old 03-12-13, 12:12 PM
CVB

Just for the record, BARNES & NOBLE has STRANGE EMBRACE / 69 BARROW STREET listed on their website.

They do NOT have CATCH AND RELEASE, but I'm hoping they will soon..... It's nice to have a choice of more than one place to purchase.

PS - Mr. Ardai, if you're reading this, please bring back Tricia, Erin, and Charley, from FIFTY-TO-ONE... Reading that story was A LOT OF FUN!
Old 04-03-13, 10:18 PM

http://tvline.com/2013/04/03/cinemax...vet-70s-drama/

Pilot Scoop: Cinemax Orders 1970s Drama Quarry
Old 04-04-13, 04:03 PM

Interesting. Looking forward to see who'll land the title role.
Old 05-13-13, 02:25 PM

The signed limited hardcover edition of Stephen King's Joyland is available to order as I type this. There is a link on the Hard Case Crimes home page. It's $75.00 plus shipping. An unsigned limited is also available for $40 plus shipping. The lettered copies are already sold out.
Old 05-14-13, 09:51 AM

Bummer, the signed editions look to be sold out. I should have kept a better eye out for this.
Old 06-05-13, 08:38 AM
CVB

Ok, so I read an interview with Mr. Ardai, and it seems there's some really interesting books coming soon.

One of those books is by the late great writer / director Samuel Fuller ( one of my favorite filmmakers ).

There's also a really cool sounding story by Lawrence Block called BORDERLINE.

Anyway, I got my copy of JOYLAND yesterday I will start reading it soon.

Link to inteview is below.....

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=80860
Old 06-26-13, 10:20 PM

I finished reading Grifter's Game last week and it was very good. When people kept talking about how good it is and how shocking the ending is I didn't think it would live up to the hype. It definitely did.
Old 06-29-13, 11:31 PM

It caught me by surprise. It has the least sexiest cover and because of that I think it's one of the lowest selling tittles of the imprint but it's one of my favorites.
Old 07-20-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

FYI today's Kindle daily deal is 48 HCC books for $1.99 each:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...d_i=1000677541

That's a great deal I'd leap on except HCC books are the only ones nowadays that I always still buy in physical form. (Because of the covers and that it just feels "right" to read pulp on paper.)
Old 07-20-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't add these 5 to my HCC Library via the Kindle sale?

The First Quarry
The Last Quarry
Quarry's Ex
The Cocktail Waitress
The Twenty-Year Death
Old 07-20-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like the Quarry books, though I still have yet to read Quarry's Ex and Quarry in the Middle. (I've read all of the non-HCC ones, too.) For $2 a pop, it's not a big loss if they're not your thing.

BTW, The Last Quarry is the basis for the movie The Last Lullaby. Tom Sizemore did a good job in the role. He even really looks like the older Quarry from the cover.

I haven't read any of the HCC relaunch books yet, so I can't comment on the other two.
Old 07-20-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quarry in the Middle is excellent. Highly recommended.
Old 07-21-13, 12:15 PM

I'd just go with all 5. As mentioned, can't really go wrong for $2 a pop. The Quarry books will get you ready for 'The Wrong Quarry' (due in Jan 2014) and 'The Twenty-Year Death' is HCCs longest book to date (technically, it's 3 books in 1).
Old 08-12-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Coming in October, a bunch of Michael Crichton "John Lange" reissues, some new to the line, some not, but being released under his real name...

Old 08-12-13, 11:45 AM

^ Glad to see these being published. Looks like 6 new titles to the HCC line (Grave Descend and Zero Cool were already published). Pretty sure I have the original pb versions of Binary and Scratch One -- regardless, I'll likely pick up all 6 new HCC titles.

Also, looks like Glen Orbik and Gregory Manchess shared cover art duties on the 6 new titles (Orbik did 4 and Manchess 2 with Manchess having done the cover art for the 2 reissues as well).
Old 10-06-13, 05:25 PM

Heard a rumor that starting in 2014 HCC might go back to producing books in mass market paperback format (after the trades have been on the shelves). Anyone heard anything or know if there's any truth to this?
Old 10-08-13, 12:56 PM

I hope not, I love the new size and bigger covers. Will still buy though. Wish Amazon would bring back 4 for 3.
Old 10-09-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I much prefer the paperback size.
Old 10-10-13, 09:36 PM

The original mass market paperback size or the new trade paperback size?
Old 10-11-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Heard a rumor that starting in 2014 HCC might go back to producing books in mass market paperback format (after the trades have been on the shelves). Anyone heard anything or know if there's any truth to this?
If true, I would fully support this move. While I want HCC to do what they must to survive in this marketplace - including switching to the trades - I much prefer the mass market sized paperbacks. The size shift on my bookshelf really irks me. (I prefer the trade size overall, for all paperbacks btw.)

This summer I bought online a used copy of Somebody Owes Me Money. It's my fault for not reading the listing closely enough, but it is the trade edition. I totally forgot that older books were being reprinted in the format. That was a slightly sad day when I got the mail.
Old 10-11-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by danfindlay
The original mass market paperback size or the new trade paperback size?
The former. Or as DJLinus just said:

Originally Posted by DJLinus
If true, I would fully support this move. While I want HCC to do what they must to survive in this marketplace - including switching to the trades - I much prefer the mass market sized paperbacks. The size shift on my bookshelf really irks me. (I prefer the trade size overall, for all paperbacks btw.)
Old 10-24-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

What's all this about??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.