Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Game of Thrones

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ozzy's Bat Head
Starman, I give you the nod of the day for reviving a 6 year old thread, and yet the question you ask is still relevant.
ha, thanks. I've learned that questions like these are kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Revive an old thread and people call you on it, start a new thread and someone will post a link to the old.

But yeah, I'm surprised with the popularity of this series, that I am unable to track down a sort of 'historical atlas'.
Old 07-23-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everything you need to know about Westeros and what not is here: http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/

It has chapter summaries, maps (using Google maps), place descriptions, character descriptions and every reference to those characters in the books. Every person great or small has a mention. The books are far too big and complex to try and hold everything in your head so I consider these resources invaluable. The great thing about it is you can set the scope (i.e. the last book you read) so that nothing gets spoiled if you want to look up Jon Snow but have only read Game of Thrones. I linked to the main resource page chiefly because there are things that could be considered spoilers on the front page (at one time there was a poll question about if/when a character would die which made it obvious they were still alive at the end of the book I had just started).

The maps aren't really too much different than what's in the books (I'm not even sure if they have extra locations marked), but you can zoom in pan around and do all the things you can do in regular google maps which is nice. You can also search for places which should provide a description of where something is.
Old 07-24-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By book 4 the maps in the front are really detailed
Old 08-14-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Game of Thrones

Reading this book now, and really enjoying it. The link that Mordred posted above is a great resource, given the large number of characters.

The series is being developed for HBO, with this book being the basis for the first season. There is a discussion thread started on TV Talk.
Old 04-04-14, 05:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

I thought that Book Talkers might be interested in the BBC article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26824993

Martin has recently cited a French series of novels as inspirational:
Martin says one of his main inspirations was not fantasy, but a series of novels set in medieval France, little known or read in the English language. Les Rois Maudits (The Accursed Kings) was written by Maurice Druon between the mid-1950s and the 1970s. It's a seven-volume saga chronicling the dynastic fight for the French throne in the early part of the 14th Century, culminating in the Hundred Years War.

"The Accursed Kings has it all," writes Martin, in an introduction to a recently reissued translation. "Believe me, the Starks and the Lannisters have nothing on the Capets and Plantagenets. It is the original game of thrones.
[...]
Denjean says that Les Rois Maudits passed from cult to mainstream success with a screen adaptation in the early 70s - a sort of French equivalent to I, Claudius. "It was a primetime TV show - these were the days when you had one or two channels and everyone would watch together." Druon was also among the approved list of French novelists approved in the USSR at that time. Later, Vladimir Putin was an admirer of Druon, meeting him several times.

Druon's books have waned in popularity even in France in recent years, according to Lichfield. "I wonder how many French Game of Thrones fans have even heard of him," he says. But history may be coming full circle. The Accursed Kings sequence is being reissued in English translation, complete with Martin's introduction. It may be that Druon will find a whole new audience on the recommendation of the writer his books influenced."
Old 04-04-14, 11:37 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I did not know that.. .If they translate the books I would be interested in reading them.

Thanks for posting the article link.
Old 04-04-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't he previously say that the historical inspiration was The War of the Roses?
Old 04-04-14, 06:38 PM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Canis Firebrand
I did not know that.. .If they translate the books I would be interested in reading them.

Thanks for posting the article link.
http://www.amazon.com/Iron-King-Accursed-Kings-Book/dp/0007491263/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396654641&sr=8-1&keywords=the+accursed+kings

let us know how they are
Old 02-01-15, 03:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31077136

I know that there has been discussion somewhere in Book Talk regarding GRRM's egregious delay in progressing with the series in which hundreds of thousands of fans have invested much time (and some money).

As this was one of the first threads to look at the books and has been updated periodically I thought I'd post the latest word here:
Next Game of Thrones book The Winds of Winter won't be out until 2016

George RR Martin's publisher says a follow-up to 2011's A Dance with Dragons won't be released this year.

It had been hoped that The Winds of Winter, from the A Song of Ice and Fire series, would be out in 2015.

But those hopes have been dashed by book publishing company, HarperCollins. "I have no information on likely delivery," Jane Johnson from the company told the Guardian.

"These are increasingly complex books and require immense amounts of concentration to write.

"Fans really ought to appreciate that the length of these monsters is equivalent to two or three novels by other writers."

George RR Martin had to write a blog post in December saying that The Winds of Winter was not being released after rumours started online.

Originally Posted by GRRM
"Somehow, from somewhere, the rumour arose that the '12 Days' were actually a countdown ... not to Xmas, but to the publication of The Winds of Winter, or the announcement of its completion and/or pub date," he wrote.

"Sorry. Not true. Look, I've said before, and I will say again, I don't play games with news about the books.

"I know how many people are waiting, how long they have been waiting, how anxious they are. I am still working on Winds. When it's done, I will announce it here.

"There won't be any clues to decipher, any codes or hidden meanings, the announcement will be straightforward and to the point.

"I won't time it to coincide with Xmas or Valentine's Day or Lincoln's Birthday, the book will not rise from the dead with Jesus on Easter Sunday.

"When it is done, I will say that's it is done, on whatever day I happen to finish. I don't know how I can make it any clearer."
More of a re-hash, I'd guess but I suppose it keeps the controversy alive. For those that are persisting with the books, let's hope GRRM stays healthy...
Old 02-01-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

"Fans really ought to appreciate that the length of these monsters is equivalent to two or three novels by other writers."
Problem is, many fans are getting very underwhelmed with the overwhelming lengths of these books, and are getting sick and tired of the endless ramblings and want to see something happen within them. Quantity isn't quality, and we're seeing it with his last two books.
Old 02-01-15, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm finishing up with A Dance with Dragons, reading the series straight through. It's started to become a bit much, as Polizei mentioned, because there is a fair amount of stuff that isn't really relevant. I suppose it immerses some into the world more, but for me, it's more than is necessary.

Anyway, the plan is for two more and then that's it, right? Maybe we'll be able to finish it up in 2020.
Old 02-01-15, 12:01 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It won't be done in 2020. I'm betting he won't even get Winds out until early 2017 and die before the last book. Old and enormously fat is not a good combo.
Old 02-01-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I still predict:

1. He will add at least one more book.
2. TWoW won't be released until after the tv series ends.
Old 02-01-15, 11:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

"These are increasingly complex books and require immense amounts of concentration to write.

Then perhaps he should concentrate on writing them and not doing 10,000 other projects at the same time.
Old 02-02-15, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Not saying the book will be out this year, because it likely won't, but the quoted article (and many others) seem to be sensationalist reporting. The publisher didn't say that it wouldn't come out this year, just that there are no plans for it to come out. IIRC, when Martin finally finished ADWD, it was published like 3-4 months after he announced he'd finished it and there'd been no 'it's coming' prior to that.
Old 02-02-15, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
Then perhaps he should concentrate on writing them and not doing 10,000 other projects at the same time.
Or as least stop adding new characters and concentrating on the ones that have been around a while...
Old 02-03-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

There will be a compilation novel of the three Hedge Knight stories. I'll be glad to pick that up so I don't have to get the other anthologies.
Old 02-03-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrX
But what would we do without the fifty-sixth volume of Wild Cards?

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-08-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 11:57 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

October 6th is the release date for A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms which is the 3 Dunc and Egg novellas together.
Old 02-08-15, 06:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just glad the hbo series is going full steam ahead and will finish the story. It will cut out all the junk of the last two novels and have a conclusion I suspect I will never see in the novels. Maybe they can do a season of the 3 hedge knight stories.
Old 03-01-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Finally finished "A Dance with Dragons," hence completing all that has been written by George R.R. Martin for the Song of Ice and Fire series. While I wanted to wait until another book was out before I tried completing it, I really need a LONG break from this writing style before embarking on another book. I now know that the TV series will need to make major changes not just due to a lack of source material, but for quality reasons as well. The first three books were great, the fourth not as great, and the fifth was mostly tedious. I really fear that Martin will either A)die before he completes the books or B) his editors won't do their jobs and just accept whatever he turns in for immediate publication. I truly think it was the latter that lead to the now ponderous nature of this series.
Old 03-01-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I really fear that Martin will either A)die before he completes the books or B) his editors won't do their jobs and just accept whatever he turns in for immediate publication. I truly think it was the latter that lead to the now ponderous nature of this series.
I think that Martin has become a big enough 'name' author that he's no longer edited in the traditional sense.

Notice how Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles went off the rails some time after she wrote "Queen of the Damned."

Which is why you see many successful authors later works degenerating into self-indulgent wank.
Old 03-18-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've always partially thought that about Stephen King. He's writing less and less stuff that that's under 1,000 pages.