Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Princess Mononoke

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Princess Mononoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-00, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-16-00, 08:08 PM

Princess Mononoke is a towering achievement. Forget that it is animated. Every aspect of this film is finely drawn. There are moments and scenes of incredible beauty, sadness, joy, tension. I would like to say more but the only thing really worth saying is: Go See It Right Now.
Old 12-16-00, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
LOL, this is Arsnik's third Princess Mononoke review request thread today.

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/021231.html

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/021230.html

------------------
My homepage
You know, your life really isn't complete until you've experienced the awe and wonder of Big Wolf On Campus.
Old 12-16-00, 09:32 PM

LOL Cytner.I wanted to know what people from the board thought.I didnt want reviews from movie reviewers.Just you guys.So far only two.I really dont want to lay down 22 bucks on this DVD if its not all that great.You know what Im sayin?
Old 12-16-00, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I don't know that much about anime. From the stuff I've seen on TV, like Dragon Ball Z or other Japanese stuff, I've always thought the animation was pretty poor, and it never interested me that much.

I did see Princess Mononoke in the theatres a few months ago, though, and I was very impressed. Fantastic animation, great characters, awesome action scenes, and a compelling theme. I thought the English-speaking actors did a pretty good job with the dubbing, and I thought it really lived up to the potential of animation, which is to create worlds that would be virtually impossible to show with live action.

I'm pretty ignorant to the world of anime in general, but for what it's worth, I thought Princess Mononoke was really impressive.
Old 12-18-00, 03:42 PM

I really don't know much about Japanese animation, but I just finished watching Mononoke and was really amazed by it. Fantastic story, great animation - entertaining and complex. I also liked the vocal work by the English actors a lot.

The DVD was good, but less than the film deserves. Video and audio quality are fine, but the extras are ... minimal at best. Just a featurette and the trailer. As someone who doesn't know much about Japanese animation, I would have liked commentary from an expert on this form of animation, or at least a small documentary about it.

Still, I like the film quite a lot and still recommend it.

Full DVD Review: Princess Mononoke
Old 01-01-01, 02:05 AM
Mod Emeritus

This is a great DVD, I won't complain about the lack extras, the jewel of the language track is good enough for me... (and we fought hard for it)
Old 01-01-01, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An amazing film. One of the best films of the 90's - animated or not. But the purpose of animation is to create circumstances that could not be possible in the realm of live-action...and how flawlessly an animated film pulls this feat off is what - in the end - determines it's greatness. Mononoke Hime depicts things that could only happen in this medium, but does it in a way that makes you forget it's not "real".

Uhhh, sorry...just watched 2001 so I'm in introspective mode. Mononoke is breathtaking and intense. Buy it. And only watch it in Japanese, you owe it to yourself.

------------------
"My mommy said there were no monsters, no real ones...but there are."
Old 01-01-01, 07:20 AM
Banned

Truly one of the best movies of 1999. Watch it with the original Japanese track.
Old 01-06-01, 07:10 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished watching this and I would also recommend the Japanese Soundtrack over the English dub.

As for the movie, I thought it pushed its "message" a little hard, but I have to admit that it really rose above that at times and pulled you into the movie. And I was amazed at how unsettling some of the images were. Very impressive, though offputting too. Not for the squeamish, at times.

I don't watch much anime (saw Robotech as a kid and watched Ghost in the Shell), but this was an enjoyable movie overall.

Definitely worth a rental.

-David
Old 01-08-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

An animated story about individual anger, hate, love, ecological perserverence, greed, and everything else that make us human in past and present society. The simplistic way of displaying these human characteristics are pushed through a series of event in a fantasy story that can take you into an highten level of awareness. A good movie if you like fantasy, animated stories, and understanding human qualities. I like all of them, thus it was a great movie. I give it: out of five possible.

------------------
"A word is dead when it is said, some say; I say it just begins to live that day."
Old 01-08-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am not even a true anime fan but this movie made me sit and watch it at least 5 times already.Its got a good soundtrack and nice story, and the animations are great.This is one movie you will not regret!
Old 01-09-01, 06:23 AM

Everybody's been recommending it, so you probably won't need to hear my opinion, BUT! this is one for the completists.

Not only does it have the original japanese language track, when switching to the japanese language option, the opening and end credits change to that of the japanese version. PLUS, the subtitles are literal translations of the japanese dialogue, and not just dub transcription thingy. And the movie is great!! Talk about complete...

------------------
"Hnh, Korewa..."
Old 01-09-01, 10:43 AM

I want to like Anime but for the most part I only like 3 maybe 4 titles. Some of them just seem weird to me.

As for Princess Mononoke, great. Nice big story and beautiful animation.

Now if you want to rent it first ----> HA HA HA. Blockbuster is not going to carry it! Ever! I asked the manager and he said they were never going to get it. I also asked about The Ghost & The Darkness - they will never be getting this on DVD only VHS. I haven't rented a VHS in the last 4 years.
Old 01-09-01, 01:37 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by parasite:
Now if you want to rent it first ----> HA HA HA. Blockbuster is not going to carry it! Ever! I asked the manager and he said they were never going to get it.
<HR>

Interesting. Both my local Blockbuster and Hollywood Video carry it since the date of release. I dropped by another Blockbuster the other day and they carried it too

Old 01-09-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fascinting in both scope and accomplishment. Reminded me of Kurosawa.
Old 03-05-01, 02:05 PM
Banned

I couldn't make it through this film. I had high hopes and bought the DVD with out seeing it in theaters, and now it ranks as one of the worst movies i have ever seen
Old 03-05-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wlcohen
I couldn't make it through this film. I had high hopes and bought the DVD with out seeing it in theaters, and now it ranks as one of the worst movies i have ever seen
One of the worst you have ever seen? Whew. I am shocked. If you said you didn't like the film that's one thing, but damn. Would you mind listing what some of your other worst movies of all time are?
Old 03-06-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have to agree. I also found it agonizing....
Old 04-08-01, 12:04 AM
Cool New Member

I also found Princess Mononoke to be a bit overrated based on the raves on this board. The animation was okay, not great, and the movie was rather cheesy in my opinion. Maybe it would have helped if I listened to the Japanese audio track; I watched the DVD with the english track, and I thought they should have gotten different voices for several characters (especially Ashitaka... my GOD he was annoying.) While I wouldn't go so far as to call it bad movie, I guess I'm in the minority that didn't find it that spectacular... just my 2 cents-
Old 04-09-01, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a great movie if you love to work out the symbols and interactions at play here. It's a good movie solely based on the animation. It's a baffling mess if you expected action without meaning.

-Beebs
Old 04-10-01, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jepthah
One of the worst you have ever seen? Whew. I am shocked. If you said you didn't like the film that's one thing, but damn. Would you mind listing what some of your other worst movies of all time are?

right at the bottom of the pile with "Little Women"
any movie that I can't finish watching (there have only been a couple) I consider one of the worst I have ever seen.

I was interested in Jap. Animie and was directed towards this title as being one of the best examples of it.

If you are not into animie i highly recomend renting it first. This is not a film that will capture and hold the attention of most Americans.

And it being animated has nothing to do with it. It is just a very odd and strange movie that put me to sleep and left me not really caring what happened in the end.
Old 04-10-01, 10:24 PM

Stay Away!

Originally posted by JaxComet

I'd have to agree. I also found it agonizing....
Another agreement, here... I absolutely hated this piece of crap. I had high hopes going in (enough to buy the DVD, sight unseen), but they quickly turned to disgust. Highly overrated...