Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

American History X or Romper Stomper

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

American History X or Romper Stomper

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-00, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Romper Stomper is coming out on DVD soon and I wanted to know from those of you that have seen both movies which you think is better and why. I'm going to buy which ever one gets more votes so please let me know.
Old 09-19-00, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
american history x... great movie.. simply great.. edward norton blew me away in this flick
Old 09-19-00, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
American History X, though Romper Stomper was a good flick. I think AHX shows the negative consequences of his/their actions more than Romper Stomper does.

Old 09-19-00, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Romper Stomper is a gritty independent film and more vague in its moral stance. American History X has a lot more polish, and drives its moral message home a lot clearer. I don't want to downplay the artistic value and innovation of RS, however I can't help but admit that American History X would have more repeat value for me as a DVD.

I also feel that Ed Norton's performance gave the viewer a more sympathetic character than Russell Crowe, but that has to do with the story too.

[This message has been edited by kunert (edited September 19, 2000).]
Old 09-19-00, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

they are both excellent movies. i thought romper stomper felt a little more real to me, with the exception of the opening 5 minutes in AHX. i felt more like i was being preached to in AHX, while romper stomper seemed more like a real story. plus you get to see russ crowe in one of his first strong performances.

------------------
you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug; especially when it's holding a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Old 09-19-00, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

American History X. kunert pretty much summed it up.
Old 09-20-00, 12:19 AM

Get both.

Mike
Old 09-20-00, 02:59 AM
Banned

Higher Learning
Old 09-20-00, 11:55 PM

Did you guys know that the director of American History X attempted to change his name to Donald Duck because he was so pissed off with the way the studio dumbed down his film?It's true....I say don't buy AHX until they put out a directors cut.
Romper Stomper wins hands down for me....I didn't feel that it was 'vague in it's moral stance' at all.It'just didn't have giant flashing neon lights over the actors heads saying Good Guy and Bad Guy.That doesn't make it vague,for me it made it far more thoght-provoking and gut wrenching to see clearly just how normal these people were.Yes, they were consumed with mis-guided hate,and led by comparison to 'normal' standards, an extremely self destructive existence,but they weren't monsters.
They were confused, insecure and lonely people that found a family of like minded individuals,who had a focus in Russell Crowes character.
I'm sorry,but I didn't sense nearly that kind of depth in AHX,with the notable exception of Edward Nortons character.
To make a long story short,Romper Stomper emphasised the humanity of it's people
Old 09-21-00, 01:27 AM

Thanks for all the input you guys. From the comments so far I think I'll get Romper Stomper 1st and see how I like it then get AHX. I think the reality argument won me over. And if it is vague to some I think I might like that. I loved Fight Club, but sometimes I wish it was a little more subtle like the scene where Tyler holds that mini mart worker at gun point. I think it would of been more powerful had he not explained why he did it but just let us figure it out ourselves.
Old 09-26-00, 08:37 AM

^
Old 12-01-00, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My review of Romper Stomper just went up here

------------------
Read my DVDTalk Reviews Here...
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 12-01-00, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by benjsimpson:
Did you guys know that the director of American History X attempted to change his name to Donald Duck because he was so pissed off with the way the studio dumbed down his film?It's true....I say don't buy AHX until they put out a directors cut.
<HR>

actually, Tony Kaye tried to change his name to Humpty Dumpty. and, considering that he lost a $200 million dollar lawsuit against New Line and the Director's Guild, don't expect New Line to release a director's cut anytime soon, if ever. if you want 'AHX,' you'll have to buy the current version. also don't expect Tony Kaye to get funding from any Hollywood Studio ever again.

btw, Kaye's problem with the film is not that it was dumbed down. rather, he believed that Ed Norton re-edited the film in order to give himself more screen time. Kaye destroyed his chance of having his name taken off the film by the DGA when he took out ads in Variety discussng his problems. one of the DGA requirements to remove a directorial credit is that you can't publicly discuss your reasons for removal.

DJ
Old 12-01-00, 05:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Both are good displays of Norton's performance capabilities.

------------------
"Beware the moon and stick to the road...oops"
Jack in An American Werewolf in London
Old 12-01-00, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bodai:
Both are good displays of Norton's performance capabilities.
<HR>

Que?

------------------
Read my DVDTalk Reviews Here...
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 12-02-00, 01:58 PM
Banned

'Romper Stomper' is better.
Old 12-02-00, 02:25 PM

I would rent before buying.

------------------
Sleeper - dreaming life away -
Old 12-02-00, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

romper stomper gives you a great look into the lifestyles of these people. i used to hang out with a lot of punks back home. they weren't out beating up minorites or anything, but as far as the squatting lifestyle and the community and partying, i felt like i was watching a home movie. i think it's more engrossing than AHX. you don't feel like your watching a movie as much as a documentary. AHX has more of that polished hollywood spectacle feel to it. it's still a good movie, but i think RS comes out on top.

------------------
you can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug; especially when it's holding a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Old 12-04-00, 12:34 PM
Max

Although I enjoyed Romper way back when I cant even begin to recall some of the scenes or story whereas American History X I will never forget!
It has some scenes you wont be able to get out of your mind-in the beginning and end-great story, good issues etc.

I'm curious myself now to see Romper again...
Old 12-06-00, 12:46 PM

Romper Stomper

All the way!

AHX is ok, I like the punk rock element of Romper Stomper.

------------------
[email protected]