Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Thrilled with Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Thrilled with Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-00, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't seen this film since I was 6 years old, but it was just as good as I remembered. Great mix of comedy and suspence. The transfer from Universal is excellent, though I did notice a few spots that got rough. (39 minutes in for example) Overall its a beautiful looking and sounding film and the image is very crisp. The documentary was also as good as previous Universal Monster films. I also enjoyed the commentary track and though it did a pretty good job of covering many of the important details of the film. As with all of the Universal Classic Monster films this DVD is a must buy for classic horror and comedy fans. Now I am going to watch The Invisible Man.

------------------
"Know what I mean, know what I mean. Nudge, nudge."
DVD Laserdisc
Old 09-02-00, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darkside, do you think it's better to have watched the monster movies first or jump right into Abbot & Costello meet? Just wondering. I've actually never seen any of these films but they all arrived yesterday and I'm getting ready for a classic horror fest.

I've heard such rave comments about Abbot & Costello I just couldn't leave that one out either.
Old 09-02-00, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've never seen any of them, watch the main ones first. Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolf Man. It will help to know the monsters in the movie a little better. To be honest though A&C meet Frankenstein is pretty good even if you haven't seen the other films.
Old 09-03-00, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that's what I thought. I was talking to a friend at work yesterday who has seen all of these movies and she was like "no, you don't need to watch the monster movies first.....A&C is easy enough to understand..."

But that wasn't my point, I knew I could understand it but I just thought it'd make the whole experience funnier to have more knowledge of the monster characters. Anyway I better get to watching this long weekend....
Old 09-06-00, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Picked this up over the weekend. Watched it yesterday. This is a really good movie! I had not seen it before but was pleasantly surprised! I recommend this to anybody looking for a fun movie!

------------------
"It's the one that says bad mutha ****a on it!"

[This message has been edited by Jules Winfield (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old 09-07-00, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally, Boris Karloff was asked to repeat his role as the Frankenstein monster. Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. were already on board as Count Dracula and The Wolfman, respectively. Karloff turned it down because he was a little put off that these horror movie icons were going to be in a comedy movie. Remember, this was seventeen years after "Dracula" and "Frankenstein" terrified audiences. People weren't afraid of the characters anymore. They were considered quaint, somewhat like Freddy Krueger today, more pop culture than true horror. Karloff was dead set against it, thinking that the moviegoers would reject it. So, Glenn Strange was brought in. "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" turned out to be one of the biggest hits of the year. Karloff knew he had made an error, and ended up joing A&C in two subsequent movies, "Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff", and "Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde".