Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Salò - Criterion Edition

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Salò - Criterion Edition

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-00, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep
Old 09-06-00, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I purchased the DVD from an eBay guy for $225 last summer, but the disc came badly beaten up despite his assurance that it was in "near-perfect condition." Before I returned it for a refund, though, I gave it a spin (more than justified considering the $12 I paid in shipping!)

Salo is an awful movie. I'm sure you know that it's billed as "the most shocking movie ever made," and it's filled with kids being forced to eat sh*t and getting tortured in the name of fascist sadism. Had Salo truly been shocking, I could acknowledge its unpleasant content but respect its purpose.

However, unless you're coming in totally unprepared, you know what to expect - and, guess what, it's not going to shock you. It will more likely gross you out, but the fact is that you won't see anything really riveting. Some parts are quite boring, actually.

The bottom line is that there's no reason to see this film. If you want to be shocked, Se7en does a much better job; if you want to be sickened, go for Faces of Death or something; and if you want to be bored, then your local video store should have eighteen copies of Beaches for your viewing pleasure.

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
"No, I face a zebra. You face The Tick!"
Old 09-06-00, 05:24 AM

But what is the purpose of buying it? Were you planning on reselling it or were you just that interested in seeing it?
Old 09-06-00, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At the time, I wanted to complete my Criterion Collection. I own the entire series (including 400 Blows, The Killer, Hard Boiled, and Spinal Tap) except for Salo. And I was interested to see why the movie had garnered so much attention.

What I saw on the disc convinced me that the attention is largely undeserved. From what I've read, that weird "Pink Flamingos" movie is much more shocking than Salo. And considering the price of the disc has jumped exponentially since I passed on the damaged one, it will probably never make it into my collection. But I'm not sure I'm really worse off without it.

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
Old 09-06-00, 03:55 PM

Why was it damaged? Did the guy not take care of it or was it damaged when shipped?
Old 09-06-00, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Judging from the fingerprints and dirt that were all over the back, I'd say he took piss-poor care of it. And although he shipped the DVD to me in a cheap, thinly-padded manila envelope, I don't think the scratches were caused en route, since the disc was on the spindle.

- David Stein

------------------
"You face... The Tick!"
Old 09-07-00, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short review: yecchh!