Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Beach: I actually Liked it.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Beach: I actually Liked it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-00, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, First let me tell you that I have a 27" tv. And I have my DVD player hooked up to a bookshelf stereo. So, I can't tell you much about the picture or sound.

Now, let me tell you that I went into this movie with very low expectations, considering how many bad things I had heard about it. Most critics didn't like it.

The Movie:

The trailers for this movie are very misleading. The movie is about a guy who obtains a map to a secret beach located on an island. When he gets there he finds a sort of hippie commune living there. What I think I found interesting about the movie is the different (but similar) themes it explores. None of them are original. They are all something we have already seen or read. In fact this movie reminded me of previous movies like Apocalypse Now and Lord of the Flies. And it reminded me of a few short stories I read about dystopias or false utopias.

Without giving too much away (I hope). The movie explores what happens to people when they are removed from society. It shows what these people would do in order to protect their paradise. My biggest problem with this film is that it always seemed to move into a certain direction, and then stop. And start on a new path -- and then stop, and go on another path, etc. It seemed that it never took one theme to its limit, which was probably its biggest flaw.

Its hard for me to talk about what this movie was trying to accomplish without giving some of its plot points away. So I won't. Lets just say that, for the most part, the movie shows us a false utopia. Or its what the residents believe is a utopia, but isn't. It doesn't go deep enough though, which is unfortunate. But, despite that, I enjoyed the film. It was much better than I expected.
I'd recommend at least giving it a try (rent).

The DVD:

I explained my home theatre problem already. I don't have one. So, all I can tell you is that they did a great job with extra features. There are deleted scenes, making of featurette, music video, trailers, tv spots, and a commentary (which I didn't listen to) with the director.

If you've already seen the movie and liked it. Then this DVD is well worth the purchase.

Old 08-20-00, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it myself... I thought it was a pretty good movie; plus the honey in the movie is really hot
Old 08-20-00, 07:14 PM

I must say that this movie surprised the heck out of me too and was VERY good. I didn't see it at the theatre because the previews looked lame and predictable but it has much more to offer than first meets the eye.
Old 08-20-00, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree this is a very entertaining film.

------------------
"Greetings exhalted one", Luke Skywalker. "Yeah, shut up punk ass. Don't be coming up in my crib trying to take my hos, my servant droid, or none of my crap you Jedi busta!", Jabba the Hutt.
This was the original first draft of the script.
Old 08-20-00, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like to go places in a movie and this movie definitely takes you to a place that is outright beautiful.....oh yeah, that sweet little honey who leonardo hooks up with was not bad either!!!
Old 08-20-00, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just came from the video store and passed on The Beach because I'd heard so many bad reviews on it (got Erin Brockovich instead). After seeing your opinions though, maybe I'll give a look-see on my next rental.

------------------
My DVD List
Old 08-21-00, 03:54 AM
Banned

sorry, Eclipse thought this movie was just stupid as stupid can be.

All of Eclipses' co-workers swore by this movie....stupid STUPID STUPID MOVIE!!!
Old 08-21-00, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Eclipse:
sorry, Eclipse thought this movie was just stupid as stupid can be.

All of Eclipses' co-workers swore by this movie....stupid STUPID STUPID MOVIE!!!
<HR>

can you at least elaborate on what you didn't like?