Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Dune

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-00, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I tried to search for this, but every archived post that had some merit was linked to the DVD Talk Newsletter?? (has this happened to anyone else??)

I heard this movie is close to 5hrs long (a-la Sci-Fi channel director's cut version)

Therefore, does the DVD include all the missing scenes? Or is this one or those Quick "let's get it on DVD" movie treatments?

Thanks
Old 07-11-00, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The version that is available in Region 1 is the widescreen theatrical version (2 hours, 17 minutes). It is a good/acceptable transfer, but nothing that'll blow you away.

The only other version of Dune is the "TV version" that is shown on the Sci-Fi Channel every now and again. This version is (a) NOT a director's cut -- in fact, the director actually got his name removed from it and (b) is only 3 hours and 9 minutes when you take out the commercials.

The TV Version is available on Region 2 Japanese DVD. You'll need an all-code player to watch it. It is a decent (but pan-and-scan) transfer with removable subtitles. They used the same transfer that was used for the Japanese laserdisc boxed set a few years ago.

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs
Old 07-11-00, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DVD is pretty bare-bones - one trailer, iirc - and the transfer and sound are pretty lousy. But the movie is excellent and there's no hint of a re-release, so if you liked the movie (like I do), you shouldn't be terribly dissuaded by low DVD quality.

- David Stein
Old 07-11-00, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SciFi channel is coming out with a Dune mini series soon that I think will be a lot better than the Davin Lynch movie, which is suck!!!
Old 07-12-00, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HoNuts -- while I have to disagree with you about the Lynch version (I can't imagine anyone doing a better job with DUNE in only 2 hours and some change...and some of the casting and performances were great), I too am excited about the upcoming miniseries. Could be very cool.

There's already a web site set up for it:

http://www.scifi.com/dune/

------------------
My DVDs
My LaserDiscs

[This message has been edited by bboisvert (edited July 11, 2000).]