Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Sex in the City

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-00, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This isn't really a review. I just thought the packaging and transfer sucked and wondered if anyone else agrees. I've never been able to see any sort of artifacts or anything (ie I'm easy to please) but these episodes seem really grainy. And, I thaw the cheap plastic packaging was lame.

Old 05-24-00, 02:43 PM

I received and watched this yesterday. I have only seen episodes from the second season, so I enjoyed the content of these episodes. One thing I noticed, and I thought that maybe it was just me, but on a few closeups especially, there was quite a bit of graniness, even on my 36" TV. You can tell the difference between the clarity of the menus and the actual episodes.
It's still funny stuff, though...
Old 05-24-00, 03:26 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FWIW, if you have ever really looked at the show closely on TV, it is grainy too. It looks like they are using some sort of softening gauze effect on the camera lens, especially for closeups of the females' faces. I would imagine that this technique is even more evident on the crisp image from the DVD.
Old 05-26-00, 06:54 PM

I think you've pretty much said it on this. Especially the first couple of episodes. It's been said of the series that the city itself is as much a charachter as the four girls. Certainly in creating such a "look" for the program a feeling of "gritty" and "raw" is given to the presentation. Remember that DVD's are so GOOD that they will magnify what the original master source is like. The latter episodes are a bit softer as the series sort of "finds" it's balance.
Old 05-28-00, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much nudity is really on that show?
Old 05-28-00, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't have it but I saw it for sale in a B&M and I think the packaging is great, so much so that I almost bought it because of that. Not to say that the series is not good because it is and the DVD should be bought on the shows merits alone.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 05-30-00, 04:58 PM

Jabba,
Minimal nudity. A few shots of Kim Catrall's breasts here and there. Sarah Jeesica Parker doesn't bare anything - close, though, with some of those dresses she wears . Don't get this DVD as a substitute for Skinemax type flicks (pre-order H.O.T.S. or something). Get it because it's funny. I like to think of this show as what Ally McBeal would be like if the guys had a sack and the girls weren't unbearably whiny. The women on this show are much more true-to-life (at least in my experiences ).
Old 05-30-00, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kojack: I disagree. The show isn't funny. It's about ancient women hoeing it up with any male mammal and alternately bitching about men and being single. They shouldn't have called it "Sex and the City"; they should have called it "Old Bitter Sluts."

Sorry, I just really hate this show.

- David Stein

[This message has been edited by sfsdfd (edited May 30, 2000).]
Old 05-30-00, 09:16 PM

David Stein,
Like I said, the women are true-to-life. You simply describe why they are true-to-life. Talk to any 30+ single females in NYC (or any big city) lately?
To each his own...
Old 05-31-00, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kojack:
Like I said, the women are true-to-life. You simply describe why they are true-to-life. Talk to any 30+ single females in NYC (or any big city) lately? <HR>

That's quite possibly the most frightening thing I've read all day.

Forget Freddy or Jason or Michael Meyers or the Scream guy or aliens, they should make more horror movies about 30+ single females from NYC.

- David Stein

Old 05-31-00, 07:13 PM

Wow. I've never seen this show, and thanks to you guys.....I now have no desire to!!!!

[This message has been edited by Galactus (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old 05-31-00, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Galactus: If you're looking for a good series to watch, one word: SOPRANOS. It's amazing.

- David Stein
Old 06-01-00, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gee, Mr. Stein,

Could you be a liitle bit more sexist in your viewpoint? Last time I checked, James Bond was older and having more sex than these women, but I don't hear him being called "old" or a "slut". I guess it's ok for the men that they have sex with on the show to do it, but not them, right?

Jeez. I guess this forum is a boy's club.

------------------
My DVDs

Old 06-01-00, 02:47 PM

Galactus:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I would encourage you to form your own opinion about Sex and the City rather than just buying into David Stein's. The show is just plain FUNNY! Mr Stein should work out his problems with women at his therapist instead of this forum!
Old 06-01-00, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
You know, if they made a TV show about four single guys who spent every episode sleeping with as many women as they could, and then sat around complaining how bad their conquests are in the sack, that show would be dismissed as crude, offensive crap. I find it very curious that the same scenario is called brilliant and cutting edge when the leads are women. This has nothing to do with being a sexist, or having anything against women. Crap is crap, and this show is awful and mean-spirited. The show has something to offend everyone.
Old 06-01-00, 03:51 PM

Nicco,

I am now (fortunately, believe it or not) happily married and my days of facing such women are, hopefully, over.

But I can tell you right now there's no way I would like this show. Just not my cup of tea. In fact, there are very few new shows on television I care for, period. Usually, my television is tuned to sports, Turner Classic Movies or TV Land..........when my DVD player isn't running, of course.

Plus, I don't paritucularly care for Sarah Jessica Parker, either.

Jadzia,

I see your point. But I don't care. I still love James Bond......and I hate these type of "cutting-edge" female characters.
Old 06-01-00, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall a show called "Seinfeld" that featured an over 30 male, who had a different woman every week, and always seemed to find something wrong with her. And that show was pretty popular, with men and women.

I think the point is, there is a way to critique a show without using offensive words like "sluts" and "hoeing". Although it sounds to me that some men's only critique of the show happens to be that women are having sex and talking about it. Honestly, these women sleep with less people than your average soap opera/Melrose Place type character. But what makes this show good, is the fact that they honestly talk about it. I would think most men would find this refreshing and eye-opening (maybe you'd learn something about the female psyche). In fact there is a another thread about this DVD at the Home Theater Forum (which is 99% men) and the opinions offered there couldn't be more different than the ones I have seen here. I guess that's why I have been spending more time at that Forum than this one recently, since you're not likely there to read flames.

Check here for a more respectful thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/012799.html

And for the record, I am under 30 and married, but reading double-standard views about women and degrading language really bothers me.

------------------
My DVDs

Old 06-01-00, 08:19 PM

Point taken.

Also, I think your Sienfeld analogy is a bit more on the money than the James Bond comparison.
Old 06-03-00, 02:56 PM

Question? Could'nt they find a few better looking girls???
Old 06-05-00, 11:48 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jadzia:
Gee, Mr. Stein,

Could you be a liitle bit more sexist in your viewpoint? Last time I checked, James Bond was older and having more sex than these women, but I don't hear him being called "old" or a "slut". I guess it's ok for the men that they have sex with on the show to do it, but not them, right?

Jeez. I guess this forum is a boy's club.
<HR>

Yeah sure, but James Bond's never bitched and complained about having sex and being single

SADE