Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Plan 9 from Outer Space

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Plan 9 from Outer Space

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-00, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cd now is on back order! Damn it all
Edited to provide this message:

I mean the one by Image the special edition. How is the flying saucers over hollywood thing? What about the trailer? I was at Disney and at the SciFi drive in they show trailers to horrible movies like these and they are unbelieveably funny! Is this one?

--Joey

[This message has been edited by Joey83 (edited February 19, 2000).]
Old 02-23-00, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this movie funny? Depends, how much did you pay for it? If you paid more than $3 I'd say yes, but it's only funny for 'us.' If you paid more than, $3 but less than $10, I'd say it moves into the realm of utter sadness rather than humor. $10-20 and we have moved into the realm of horror. Horror as in Apocolypse Now horror. (EI-You'd be better off being Col.Kurtz's bitch) If you paid $20 or more, well, ritual suicide is appropriate.

Actually, I love really bad movies. The worst it is the more I like it. Good news! Based on this theory this should be the greatest movie ever made. Bad News; It is the worst movie ever made. Seriously. It's horrible. It sucks so bad I'd rather watch static on the TV for 90 mins. It sucks so bad that if was a rotting corpse, maggots would rather die than eat from it. If it was a car, a Pinto would comparably be a Rolls Royce. If it was a ...

Well you get the idea.

ENJOY!
Old 02-23-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
The thing is that this movie is sooo bad it's good!

I mean Penn and Teller put it best when they said that event hough CHARIOTS OF FIRE is an acclaimed film, you don't want to watch it over and over. Plan 9 you can watch this movie again and again and never get tired of it...
Old 02-24-00, 02:14 PM

No no. I know the movie is funny. I have seen it 4 times and I love it. I meant is the trailer funny. You are right this is a rewatchable film. how is the documentary?

--Joey
Old 03-01-00, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally got around to watching this last night. The picture/sound quality is amazing given the low-budget nature of the film and the fact that I'm sure it wasn't exactly stored in pristine condition. It really looks great, although it obviously displays *some* wear and tear.

The real treat was the documentary. It is nearly 2 hours in length and covers just about every aspect of the film. It's a bit amateurish in its production values (much like Plan 9 itself!), but it is great overall. Most of the surviving cast and crew appear and there are tons of other goodies. (Plus, I notice that Amazon is selling the VHS of just the documentary for $17 -- making this DVD an amazing bargain.)

I've always loved this film. From the very first moments where the narrator talks about the future over and over and over again --and then begins to refer to the story as if it took place in the past, I was hooked. Definitely recommended.
Old 03-06-00, 04:34 PM
Cool New Member

Be warned - there are two different DVDs of Plan 9 from Outer Space. There is the one released by Passport in the keepcase, and the one released by Image in the Snapper.

If you've never seen "Flying Saucers Over Hollywood" then pickup the Image version first. It has better picture quality than the Passport DVD and "Flying Saucers" is a excellent low budget documentary. The Passport version (keepcase) does have some *rare* interviews (less than 15 minutes in length) of various actors surrounding the Tim Burton Ed Wood movie that is well worth the price of admission that you can't find anywhere else.

Ed Wood freaks like me must own them both (and the laserdisc and VHS versions)...

Edward