Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Former Megadeth drummer Nick Menza dies at 51

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Surprised this has not been posted yet. Nick truly died with his boots on. He was on stage when it happened.

abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/megadeth-drummer-nick-menza-collapses-stage-dies-39289600

Nick Menza, former drummer for the influential metal band Megadeth, died after collapsing on stage during a performance of his progressive jazz trio in Southern California, a family spokesman said Sunday.

Menza's latest band OHM was three songs into a semi-regular set at a Los Angeles-area club Saturday night when the drummer collapsed, J. Marshall Craig told The Associated Press. Friends and audience members rendered aid while paramedics were called.

The 51-year-old died at the club of a suspected massive heart attack, Craig said.

Menza was Megadeth's longest-serving drummer, performing on five records over nine years, including 1990's thrash metal landmark, "Rust In Peace."

Dave Mustaine, co-founder of Megadeth, said on Twitter that he awoke at 4 a.m. to the news.

"Tell me this isn't true," Mustaine wrote.

Marty Friedman, the band's guitarist from 1990 to 2000, wrote on Facebook that Menza was "a great and unique drummer" and "a trustworthy friend, a hilarious bandmate, as well as a very loving dad."

After leaving Megadeth in 1998, Menza pursued an interest in jazz and became an accomplished woodworker.

Menza's autobiography, co-written by Craig, will detail the drummer's life in and out of music and is set for a July release.

He is survived by his mother and father, the jazz saxophonist Don Menza, and two sons.
Old 05-22-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Former Megadeth drummer Nick Menza dies at 51

Another one gone too soon. I've been on a big Megadeth kick lately and just played "Cryptic Writings" yesterday. RIP, Nick.
Old 05-22-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Played on some of the best Megadeth albums.

RIP Nick
Old 05-22-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rust In Peace is the greatest thrash metal album of all time. Nick's drumming played a huge part in making it a masterpiece. Such a tragic loss.
Old 05-22-16, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

"Tell me this isn't true," Mustaine wrote.
No kidding, WTH‽
Old 05-22-16, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Wow.

Just saw Megadeth last night in Columbus. I agree with above on Rust In Piece, great album. He was there for some pretty good years.
Old 05-23-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

He played on all of the albums I really liked. 51 is far too young.
Old 05-23-16, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

His dad is Don Menza???

That dude was a great player and composer. He may still be. Wow. I never knew that.
Old 05-23-16, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

2:30
Old 05-23-16, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

taken from MEGADETH FORUM

Originally Posted by DethManiac
Oh God he passed? I was there tonight when this happened. It was so sad. They were starting I believe the third or fourth song, and they sounded great. Then, Nick just collapses and the audience gasped. I think (I did) everyone thought that he just fell. Chris Poland said "Nick" and he said it again when it was obvious there was something very wrong. This guy that was an EMT and I believe some sort of nurse was there. Chris and everybody shouted for anybody to call 911. It seemed like it took forever for the paramedics to arrive. It was probably less than five minutes, but it seemed like an eternity. They were working on him, and moving his drumkit so there would be room.
It did not seem real at all.....

I arrived there early and was seated almost right in front of Chris. We chatted for awhile and then I saw Nick. He looked fine. His playing was amazing. He was really pounding away on the song he was playing before he collapsed. Just like the last four OHM shows I have seen this year, Nick was playing on all cylinders. In fact, The show started off so cool with the lights being all out of focus, and Nick climbed out from behind his drum kit and arranged the lights with his sticks! You had to have been there to know what I mean. It seemed like a great night was ahead for all. Everybody was really pumped to see the band. It was electric to be honest.

When the paramedics arrived, we were told to exit the club. I waited outside with some people in the back. I saw Chris Poland walking in and out of the club a few times, but nobody asked him anything. Finally, the clubs doorman told us the club was going to close because of what happened. I walked through the club and chatted really quickly with the bass player, Robertino. I walked outside and the ambulance was still out there. The door was open, and you could see they were still working on Nick. It was so heartbreaking. His sister was outside and asking for prayers for NIck. The ambulance roared away, and I remember just feeling numb. I still cant believe all of that happened and now, to find out Nick died. This was the worst thing I have ever witnessed. I don't know what else to say........
R.I.P. NICK MENZA

Originally Posted by DethManiac
I am so thankful the forums are here. I wish I could talk to and tell Chris and Robertino how sorry I am. Reading all of the comments and seeing how loved Nick was is so incredible. You could tell he was so special. He passed by me so many times on Saturday, but he was busy getting his stuff together. I saw him get a bottle of water from the bar, sit it down by his drums, and his sticks. He took off his jacket also, and placed it there too. He was also greeting some fans. I remember what he was wearing. He had on a denim jacket with the L.A. Lakers logo on it, a tshirt, long shorts and ankle socks with sneakers. I remember thinking "He looks so comfortable". I was going to tap him on the shoulder as he passed by, but he was busy and I thought I would just say hello between sets. Chris Poland is so nice to sign stuff for me at these gigs, and I brought the "Countdown To Extinction" small boxset and "Rust In Peace" on vinyl and cd for Nick to sign. Oh, I also brought the "Cryptic Writings" tourbook for him to sign too. How I wish I would have tapped him and said hello. Just knowing now he was minutes from leaving this planet and that he passed at the club is beyond tragic and absolutely heart wrenching.
Its strange, because I guess I knew he was gone. Just like many others, just did not want to believe it. There was a woman who I heard tell this guy he was gone. Somebody also came out and said he still had a pulse. I think they were telling us that to throw us off. It just seemed too long to not transport him to the hospital, because they worked on him a very long time in the club.

Just seeing Chris Poland so frantic was painful to see. There were tears in a lot of peoples eyes. Mine included. While we were waiting for the paramedics, you could hear a pin drop. It was so eerie. The funny thing is, I almost did not attend. It is very hard to find parking at this venue on a Saturday night. I paid to see both shows, and I really wasn't feeling great. It is unusually cold and cloudy here in Los Angeles right now. I drove four times looking for parking, and before the fourth time, I said to myself If I cant find a spot I am going home. Well, I found a spot and I was really excited and said I am going to have a great time! Also, while I was driving to the club it was a giant full orange moon. I said it cant get better than this. A full moon and seeing OHM tonight. Yes!!!!! little did anybody know it would not turn out that way. How I wish now I would not have found a spot and just went home. I really do.

A friend of mine called me yesterday, from back east, a big Nick fan. He knew I was going to see OHM and he called in tears asking if it was true. I told him yes, that it was. He didn't ask specifics, and I really did not want to get into it. He is gutted. Nick, you touched so many. You will be loved and missed forever and ever and ever.