Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Last In Line - Heavy Crown (ex-DIO members) February 19th

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Named after Dio’s 1984 studio album, The Last In Line, the band are on a mission to bring classic hard rock to fans who can’t get enough of the real thing. The album will be released on CD, CD/DVD (including a bonus track) and digital formats.

Says guitarist Vivian Campbell, “When we started this project a few years ago, the initial idea was to reunite the original Dio band to play the songs we wrote and recorded with Ronnie in the early 1980’s. Joined by Andrew Freeman on vocals, we played a handful of shows in southern California, the UK, and Japan. It was a limited ambition, but it brought us great joy in reconnecting to this great music, to each other, and to our collective history.”

“When we first got together as the Last In Line line-up, our ambition at that time didn’t extend to writing and recording any new music, says Campbell, “but when we were offered the opportunity to do so by Frontiers, we decided to enter the studio to write this new album in the very same spirit as we did the Holy Diver album; Back in 1982 Ronnie, Vinny, Jimmy and I went into Sound City studios to kick around ideas and riffs, and about six weeks later we started laying down the tracks for what was to become the Holy Diver album.”
CD tracklisting:

“Devil In Me”
“Martyr”
“Starmaker”
“Burn This House Down”
“I Am Revolution”
“Blame It On Me”
“In Flames” (Bonus Track Deluxe Edition)
“Already Dead”
“Curse The Day”
“Orange Glow”
“Heavy Crown”
“The Sickness”

DVD tracklisting:

“Devil In Me” (video)
“Starmaker” (video)
Making of Heavy Crown

"Devil in Me"

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P8t-9o-jyrI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Starmaker"

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jK44adkLgDs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Martyr"

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hjau_WN2v3U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Blame it on Me"

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hwAcRGc23XM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-27-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Last In Line - Heavy Crown (ex-DIO members) February 19th

Good stuff. Sadly, it's probably going to end up being a footnote with the passing of Jimmy Bain.

Friday will also see the release of the Resurrection Kings album, with former Dio guitarist Craig Goldy and drummer Vinny Appice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zvy9ZPzm4lU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vBg-81jOVXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-28-16, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm really digging everything I've heard from Last In Line so far and I'm really looking forward to the full album. It really is the closest we'll get to a new DIO album and, fortunately, it sounds like they came up with some very good stuff that lives up to the legacy of the original band.

Resurrection Kings sounds pretty good, too. I'm definitely picking that one up.
Old 01-28-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

They premiered three videos on the Def Leppard Cruise, during the Jimmy Bain memorial. They sounded pretty damn great. Freeman is an amazing vocalist. I'm very much looking forward to this album.
Old 01-28-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be getting this for sure as well. Loved the material those guys put out with Ronnie. I'm beyond thrilled Campbell is back to doing Dio like material. As I Def Leppard fan I thought he was a great replacement for Clark, but his best work was with Dio.

I like Campbell so much I even have the Shadow King CD.
Old 01-28-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really stoked for this album. Like others have said, it's nice to have a Dio sounding album once more.
I just wish Ronnie and Viv could have made peace while Ronnie was alive. It's unfortunate that there will be no tour as I would have liked to see them live. I just dont see them using someone else on bass.
Old 01-28-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I like Campbell so much I even have the Shadow King CD.
I have Shadow King too.... but am I the only one with this?
Old 01-29-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I just can't get into this Last In Line thing. It seems like a huge cash-in now that Dio's dead. No way on earth it would ever have happened if Dio was still alive. Here's what Dio really thought of Campbell ....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zOwZBo8FQvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-29-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I have Shadow King too.... but am I the only one with this?
Wow. I thought I was the only one. All fans of Dio/Def Leppard and Foreigner I know never even knew it existed. I'm that way the album pictures above. I'll have to seek it out.

Originally Posted by Phodg
Here's what Dio really thought of Campbell ....
I suspect that is one of the reasons there is so much interest. All the other lineups never really measured up. We are always left to wonder what would have been if they didn't have that falling out.

Same with Roth and his original solo lineup.
Old 01-29-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to seek it out.
Just FYI, Viv's solo album is a blues album. He plays great on it, of course.
Old 01-29-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Just FYI, Viv's solo album is a blues album. He plays great on it, of course.
Bonamassa style of blues, or old school stuff from the distant past?
Old 01-29-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DLR wanted to move more into Top-40 and dance-oriented music in the late 80s. Billy Sheehan left before Skyscraper's release, and Steve Vai cut a solo album and switched over to Whitesnake for some weird reason. That was an odd fit.

I'd love to see that reunited line-up do another album. It's clear that there's interest, given the recent canceled show due to too MUCH interest!
Old 01-29-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
DLR wanted to move more into Top-40 and dance-oriented music in the late 80s. Billy Sheehan left before Skyscraper's release, and Steve Vai cut a solo album and switched over to Whitesnake for some weird reason. That was an odd fit.
Funny, that next A Little Aint Enough album isn't at all top 40. There are couple songs like that on Your Filthy Little Mouth. Where exactly are the recordings of this top 40 stuff?

I'd love to see that reunited line-up do another album. It's clear that there's interest, given the recent canceled show due to too MUCH interest!
Huge interest I'm sure. I'm still a huge fan of Vai's stuff and IMO Sheehan's work with The Winery Dogs has been quite good. But I do wonder if they would get a different (better) drummer.
Old 01-29-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Phodg
I just can't get into this Last In Line thing. It seems like a huge cash-in now that Dio's dead. No way on earth it would ever have happened if Dio was still alive. Here's what Dio really thought of Campbell ....
Of course it wouldn't happen if Ronnie were still alive. There would be no need.
This is only happening mainly as a tribute and I think it's a way for Viv to come to terms with what happened between them. I truly feel that he regrets all that happened.
When that video first surfaced, the first thing that came to mind was Ronnie feeling really saddened by what Viv had said. I think it hurt Ronnie more than just being pissed and calling him a piece of shit.
Everyone got along with Ronnie. Viv is the only person that ever said anything bad about him.

I think this is Vivian's way of saying sorry and I'm good with that.
Old 01-29-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny, that next A Little Aint Enough album isn't at all top 40. There are couple songs like that on Your Filthy Little Mouth. Where exactly are the recordings of this top 40 stuff?
As Billy himself put it:
Dave took a chance. He decided to try a new direction with the music. In a way he was right because he wanted to mix dance beats into the music. He was like ‘We need to be more Dance-orientated’. And I was like ‘That’s great, but…’ …It just wasn’t me. I just couldn’t get up there and do that kind of thing. So I was gone, but in a way he was right because Dance music did become the next giant thing and now that’s pretty much all there is. I call it Karaoke Aerobics. It’s basically people doing Karaoke because they’re singers who don’t really sing on their records and just get pitch-corrected. And then they get eight to twelve people to do Aerobics next to them and that’s ninety percent of the music that you see on TV now. So in a way, he was right, but the problem with doin’ a switch like that when you’re a Rocker guy is that the Rockers are going to hate you because you’ve turned on them and the Dance guys are going to hate you because you were once a Rock guy …So unfortunately, he fell between the cracks, but in a way he was right. He accurately predicted that Dance music was going to come in. It did, but at the same time, we had a lot of other great music by a lot of other great bands. I just think he threw the dice and they just didn’t come up with the number he needed.”
He definitely shied away from this approach with the next album, but I think in some ways he irrevocably damaged the brand. Then again, DLR (and Van Halen) couldn't sustain viable commercial success after 'A Little Aint Enough' and 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' anyhow, given the lay of the musical land post 1992...
Huge interest I'm sure. I'm still a huge fan of Vai's stuff and IMO Sheehan's work with The Winery Dogs has been quite good. But I do wonder if they would get a different (better) drummer.
I caught Kotzen during the Def Leppard Cruise. He's a WEIRD guy, but an amazing vocalist/guitarist. Still cheesed I missed Winery Dogs when they recently played here
Old 01-29-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
He definitely shied away from this approach with the next album, but I think in some ways he irrevocably damaged the brand.
Seems that with all Billy went on about, it was all talk from Roth. Has Billy put anything out there that says he doesn't want to work with Vai? Because screw Roth, they should just get together with another vocalist and create a new project like The Winery Dogs. The guy from this Last In Line project is probably available now.
Old 01-29-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Skyscraper had a bunch of tunes with that synth-driven dancebeat top-40 sheen; "Stand Up" was the prime offender (although I enjoyed that track), but "Just Like Paradise" and "Hina" were also worlds different from what was going on with Eat Em And Smile. Even the more hard-rocking songs definitely had the rough edges sanded down and felt thoroughly polished.

I remember despising the album when it first came out -- I wanted to hear more Eat Em And Smile, being such a huge fan of that album -- but as a late 80s pop/rock record it's pretty good for what it is.
Old 01-29-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Resurrection Kings is sounding pretty damn good. Finally some real good rock to listen to. Been far too long. Chas West sometimes sounds like Geoff Tate.

I'm gonna play the shit out of these 2 albums. Heavy Crown cant get here soon enough.

Awesome Jimmy Bain tribute video

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wl8OvjtBmds?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by VHS?; 01-29-16 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

OK - I'm big enough to admit that this album is a lot better than I was expecting. No, it's not as good as it would have been with RJD (obviously), but it's nice to hear Vivian Campbell actually letting rip again instead of playing Leppard pop.
I can imagine these songs sitting quite nicely in that first couple of Dio albums era.
Old 02-15-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, this album is in constant play. I'm really enjoying hearing 'yesteryear' and Viv playing what he should be. I wish I would have been able to catch them live.
Old 02-22-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked this up over the weekend and was able to listen to it this morning. It's a brilliant album from beginning to end. It sounds like something that could have been the follow up to the Sacred Heart album. Like Sacred Heart, there is a little more polish than the two albums that preceded it.

If there is any fault to the album, it's tough to listen to those songs and not try and hear Ronnie's vocals, and how much better each song could be. The new guy holds his own, but for my money, Dio will always be one of the best. If not the best in that genre.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-22-16 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-22-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did this get a vinyl release?
Old 02-22-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see no evidence that there is a vinyl release as of now. Only the standard CD and deluxe CD/DVD version.
Old 02-22-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Vivian Campbell's facebook earlier today:

I went to Best Buy on Saturday to buy a Last In Line CD (no, I do not have a free one - at least not yet) and was most disappointed that it took forever to find a copy. After seeing nothing in the 'New releases' section, I eventually found 3 copies buried behind a rap artist, but on the wrong rack and under the wrong letter of the alphabet. It doesn't give me much faith in the current state of the music business (not that I had any, really). Oh, how I miss Tower Records.
https://www.facebook.com/officialviviancampbell/
Old 02-22-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Viv isn't the only one that misses Tower. I spent far too much time in the various locations in this area. Only other chain that was worth a damn was The Warehouse, but they still couldn't touch the variety that Tower carried.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.