Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite T.G.I.F. Show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Favorite T.G.I.F. show?
Perfect Strangers
25.00%
Full House
5.00%
Family Matters
0%
Step By Step
22.50%
Dinosaurs
10.00%
Boy Meets World
30.00%
Sabrina The Teenage Witch
5.00%
Sister Sister
0%
Hangin' With Mr.Cooper
0%
Other
2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite T.G.I.F. Show?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Favorite T.G.I.F. Show?

With the upcoming Fuller House I went back and looked up the shows that were on T.G.I.F.s schedule. My favorite was Boy Meets World. The first three seasons still hold up well. Perfect Strangers I had no clue were on the Friday block of programming. I enjoyed that show as well. Family Matters was good till they turned it into the Steve Urkel show. Step By Step I had the hots for one of the girls but that's all i remember . Full House is way too corny but I still go back to watch old ones for Nostalgia.

What were your favorite shows?
Old 02-19-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Re: Favorite T.G.I.F. Show?

I'd pick Boy Meets World. I got into it during the later years, but caught some of the earlier stuff on Disney Channel later in.

I also saw a lot of Sabrina - read the comics before the show- they changed the comics to be more like the show, which stuck to this day. Wasn't a fan of that.

Teen Angel was a good one too, albeit short lived.

There were a couple cool "theme nights" such as where each show in the block was set in a different decade, or they had 3-D episodes.
Old 02-19-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched the whole block. I liked all the shows, but my favorite was Boy Meets World followed by Step by Step.
Old 02-19-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Never watched any of these
Old 02-19-16, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted for other since I never watched any of these although I do think I saw Mr. Cooper a couple times
Old 02-19-16, 06:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I don't think I watched much if any of those but BmW gets my vote.
Old 02-19-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Perfect Strangers, hands down. Probably my most wanted show to get a full series release on DVD, or at least give us a streaming of it.
Old 02-19-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Perfect Strangers easily. I liked Full House when I was little, but I've seen it lately on Nick, and it's a little hard to watch. BMW was ok, but I was a little too old for it. I think I only watched it for 1 or 2 seasons before I started college, and after that I never watched it again.
Old 02-19-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I voted for other since I never watched any of these although I do think I saw Mr. Cooper a couple times
"None" probably should've been an option in the poll, just for those of us who like to participate in the thread even though we never watched.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I also saw a lot of Sabrina - read the comics before the show- they changed the comics to be more like the show, which stuck to this day. Wasn't a fan of that.
Of course you watched an Archie-based show.
Old 02-19-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

You know it.
Old 02-19-16, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts

"Not the mama!"

Old 02-19-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

TGIF was perfect timing for my childhood.

Step by Step is my favorite. Had a massive crush on Christine Lakin back in the day. Its great that she's on social media now and interacts with her fans.

I also enjoyed Full House, Family Matters, and Boy Meets World. I followed Step by Step and Family Matters when they switched over to CBS (marketed as "block party").
Old 02-19-16, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I hardly watched any of those shows, but I recall being fond of Step by Step whenever I caught an episode.
Old 02-19-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I remember when I was a little kid and TGIF first launched with Full House, I thought it was the coolest show. As I got older I really started to hate that show, it was pretty stupid.
I would have chosen Perfect Strangers, because I loved that show but wasn't it originally on during Tuesdays or Wednesday's? I remember it was on TGIF for only a brief time. Plus, I don't think it holds up quite as well as I remember.

Boy Meets World though, I ended up liking that show a lot. When Corey's brother got stupid all of a sudden it made the character and the show even better.
Old 02-20-16, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Perfect Starngers and Boy Meets World.

Looks like I watched all of those (kid and teen years)
Old 02-20-16, 08:13 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

An oral history of ABC's TGIF: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/23...al-history-abc
Old 02-20-16, 09:00 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Perfect Strangers, absolutely. The first and second season came out near our wedding so we put it on our registry and got it. A bunch of people said they loved it was on the registry and wished they could've been the ones to get it for us.

The show is a little clunky and these days it can come off at least slightly racist, perhaps, but I like it.

Dinosaurs has THE most morbid series finale EVER.
Old 02-20-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

X files
Old 02-20-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Thanks for the article. Good read.
Old 02-20-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Then: Family Matters

Now: Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs has a unique voice and holds up really well.
Old 02-20-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Full House is definitely corny but I like it. I have a lot of memories of watching it when I was younger and I like the cast.

Boy Meets World was okay too but I got sort of sick of it during the later years.

Didn't watch a lot of the others really. Family Matters I watched a bit but was never very into. Sabrina the Teenage Witch was alright but I think mostly because at the time I found Melissa Joan Hart to be cute.
Old 02-20-16, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I never really considered Perfect Strangers a TGIF show, I think it got moved there as the ratings declined. It was a hilarious show in its prime.

I was crushed when Dinosaurs ended.
Old 11-19-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I thought I would bump this thread to point out that Boy Meets World is on Disney+ and folks may find themselves enjoying the show once again now that it is easy to binge from beginning to end. I had forgotten how great a show it really was until I started bingeing the show (almost done with the first season). The early episodes highlighted some very early tv roles for actresses that would go one to star in some acclaimed series. You had Marla Sokoloff playing a student in one episode, and Keri Russell playing Mr Feeny’s niece in one episode. She was very photogenic in this very early role in her career and it makes sense that she went on to headline a popular show like Felicity.

The first season episode about racism and prejudice was very powerful, so sure some might look at it as a very special episode, but it was a well written episode and the shows message unfortunately feels even more relevant in this day and age than it did when it aired.

It was also funny to see how obvious it was especially with hindsight that Cory and Topanga were destined to become one of the most beloved sitcom couples around. I did not realize that they were perhaps testing the waters with Topanga’s sporadic appearances in the first season as she quickly went on to star in almost every episode of the show (clearly test audiences liked what they saw).

The presentation is odd...a lot of background stuff is almost constantly blurred/fuzzy/out of focus, but the actors themselves are sharp looking and you can often see great detail in the clothing they are wearing, so they clearly did what they could to present the actors in a HD format, but the rest of the elements in the background of the show look pretty harsh to my eyes. I am still loving the show but wanted to warn folks of the PQ on the show. It is not as bad as pictures with the bokeh effect where everything but a specific object in focus is blurry in the background but the lack of clarity of many objects on the show is very noticeable especially on modern HD TVs.

Anyway, great show worth revisiting and one I have always wanted to rewatch but never got around to picking up the DVDS.
Old 11-19-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I've only seen Dinosaurs and I used to love it when I was a kid. I remember the ending was kinda dark, been meaning to rewatch the series for years.