Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once Upon a Time (S4E18) -- "Sympathy for the De Vil" -- 4/19/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Once Upon a Time (S4E18) -- "Sympathy for the De Vil" -- 4/19/15

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW IS BETTER THAN THE DE VIL YOU'LL MEET, ON ABC'S "ONCE UPON A TIME"

Kristin Bauer van Straten ("True Blood") and Victoria Smurfit ("Dracula") Guest Star

"Sympathy for the De Vil" - In fictional 1920s England, viewers meet a young Cruella, whose oppressive mother uses her Dalmatians to terrorize her daughter. Cruella is confined to her mother's attic until a mysterious stranger arrives and empowers her to challenge her captor. In Storybrooke, Regina gains leverage to keep Gold from interfering with her plan to rescue Robin, but her trip to New York takes the backseat when she and Emma learn that Cruella has kidnapped Henry, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, APRIL 19 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Lana Parrilla as the Evil Queen/Regina, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David Nolan, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Colin O'Donoghue as Hook, Jared S. Gilmore as Henry, Michael Socha as Will Scarlet and Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold.

Guest stars include Victoria Smurfit as Cruella De Vil, Patrick Fischler as Isaac, Kristin Bauer van Straten as Maleficent, Anna Galvin as Madeline, Milli Wilkinson as Young Cruella, Morgan Tanner as Dancer #1, Scott Augustine as Dancer #2, Tony Giroux as Dancer #3, Michelle Dawley as Dancer #4, Kelly Konno as Dancer #5, Julia Harnett as Dancer #6 and Jolene Bothwell as Dancer #7.

"Best Laid Plans" was written by David H. Goodman and Jerome Schwartz and directed by Romeo Tirone.

Episode 18 of 22

There is actually 4 episodes left this season.

Episode 8 back in November was 2 hours and counted as 2 episodes, so they are technically making 23 hours of TV this season even though it's 22 episodes.
Old 04-19-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Once Upon a Time (S4E18) -- "Sympathy for the De Vil" -- 4/19/15

Shouldn't they have done a De Vil centric episode before last week's reveal? These new villains are utterly superfluous after that.
Old 04-20-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Kind of odd how they are acting like Emma is getting darker when nothing has changed to case that. Protecting her son is not evil or dark so they are being a bit pushy with it.
Old 04-20-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I think I'm done with this show. The "twist" with Cruella was painfully obvious and the tipping point with Emma is idiotic.

The current writers are not the same ones from the beginning of the show, right? Because this series used to have a dark, cracked fairytale vibe, where the heroes and villains were not 100% good or evil. Now something like killing someone who was threatening to kill your son is a completely evil act. If Emma had done this in a fit of rage after Henry was safe (like having Cruella taunt Emma or goad her in some way), then I could buy the whole "darkening" of Emma's heart. As it stands, she was just being a mother defending her child.

Oh and, if it was so important to reach Emma before she killed Cruella, why did her parents not at least try to call her on her phone? Also, the origin of Cruella's makeup and hairstyle was stupid.
Old 04-21-15, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I actually thought this Cruella origin story was the best episode of the season. I thought they were going to make Cruella evil like most other villains, for something a parent did to them. They even had a decent explanation for why this Cruella had magical powers unlike the cartoon version.

I agree that Emma killing Cruella in that moment wasn't particularly evil, they've run this savior business into the ground. It's a theme I don't see them abandoning, I wonder if they intend to make Emma a villain for an extended stretch next season?
Old 04-21-15, 03:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think its all sleight of hand on Rumple's part.

1) Emma's parents become convinced she's gone dark.

2) The heroes work to allow "Dark Emma" a happy ending.

3) The heroes succeed as always and now villains can get happy endings too.

4) Rumplestiltskin wins.