Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Collectables In An Action Game : Yay or Nay?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Do You Like Collectables In Action Games?
Yay : They're a big part of the fun of playing
29.41%
Nay : I don't want to play a First-Person scavenger hunt. Just let me go kill stuff
35.29%
Who Cares : If you don't want to do it, just ignore them
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Every time I play an action game these days, I keep coming back to this same thought : Collectables are ruining the gaming experience. Now I'm not saying they ruin the game, just that they break the fourth wall for me.
It seems whenever I play an action game and am being funneled from one area to another, instead of just feeling free to move on up, I feel somewhat obligated to explore every corner and behind every door like an absent-minded dad who misplaced his keys, looking for some silly collectable that a programmer might have hidden there. If there is clearly one way they want you to go, but there is another side path your character can go instead, then the only reason that it's there is for you to go and grab the dog-tag/scroll/GPS cache/package/gramophone/golden bolt/audiolog/comic book page/thermos/etc.

Certainly I like looking for collectables in the right sort of game. In the Batman games where you're a detective, searching for collectables and figuring the puzzles to solve them is the best thing about the game. In an open world game like inFAMOUS or Crackdown, it's part of the fun of using your new powers. In the Assassin's Creed games, being a thief makes perfect sense to seek out treasure. In platformers, collecting things is sort of the entire point of the game. None of that is what I'm talking about here.

I'm talking about the action game, FPS and the like where you have to move from point A to Point B and there really isn't a reason to go looking for stuff except that you know a designer has hidden something there for you to find and get ever so much closer to a trophy or Achievement.

It was never more obvious than in Ryse where literally every branching path was only to grab a scroll (or shield) and then come back. There is never any other reason to go in a different direction. That feels SO artificial and takes you out of the gameplay.
In Uncharted you play as a treasure seeker, so it's sort of natural to be looking for collectables (and the way you can scrutinize them after finding them is especially cool), but even then there are times when you're supposed to be running away from attackers as fast as possible, yet the game designers instead are getting you to deviate from the exit to look for collectables (even as you virtual life is endangered). It's the one thing that broke the reality for me in that game.

Now I know that you don't have to get any collectables; that they're usually just for popping Achievements. Still it's not easy to completely ignore them - especially when it's painfully obvious from the level design that they're right there. It's bothered me for years and I was just wondering if others felt the same way about these virtual Easter Egg Hunts.
Old 03-18-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Collectables In An Action Game : Yay or Nay?

I primarily play games for the story lines anymore, and therefore are kind of sick of any achievement boxes popping up.
Old 03-18-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't really care for them either, it would be kind of neat to have a mode where they're turned off completely. I remember commenting about it for Tomb Raider, where your friends are captured and facing death but you're running around an island picking up old junk.
Old 03-18-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm playing Tomb Raider now and I would agree. If it were just Lara Croft on her own exploring then I wouldn't mind as many collectibles. However, having her pickup what seems to be an inordinate amount of things while people lives are depending on her is a bit silly.
Old 03-18-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only time collectibles bother me is when they're in a game or level that's timed (whether it's an actual timer or a chase/escape of some sort) or when there's an NPC nagging you to move forward on a dialogue loop ("Hurry up!" "We need to go this way!" etc.). Make up your minds, developers.

Otherwise I usually enjoy them for the challenge of finding hidden things and the fact that they can add replayability.
Old 03-18-14, 05:15 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I say "Nay" yet I can't help but pick these up. It would be nice if they saved the collectables for the second run-through, and not had them at all the first time you go through so you could enjoy the story without going through every side-corridor and breaking every crate.
Old 03-18-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how it's done.

In Uncharted, they are purely a side quest, and I ignore them on the first playthrough and stick to the story, and then I collect them on the individually selectable chapters. GTA, Burnout Paradise and Saints row are open world examples of the same thing. They are an added thing to do in the game but with no actual consequences to the core gameplay or the story.

In other games, the items are needed for leveling up, which is fine as long as it's done in a way that's additive and doesn't feel too tacked on. Games like Infamous come to mind, where finding the collectibles adds to your power. It can feel grindy if it's done wrong, but I generally enjoy the easter egg hunt.

Voted "who cares", but that's more dismissive than I'd mean to be.
Old 03-18-14, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by chess
Voted "who cares", but that's more dismissive than I'd mean to be.
So you're the a-hole who voted for that!

I had considered including a "Depends on the game" choice in the poll, but eventually decided against it because it's too easy a cop-out answer.
Old 03-18-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Tomb Raider essentially forces you out of the rhythm of the game by making collectibles absolutely necessary for needed XP and salvage. This is why I wish they would go back to the old exploring mostly with some enemy encounters here and there. I also don't believe you have to make games where weapons need to be upgraded. Just introduce the new weapons at specific times that are appropriate to the story and gameplay.
Old 03-18-14, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Tomb Raider essentially forces you out of the rhythm of the game by making collectibles absolutely necessary for needed XP and salvage. This is why I wish they would go back to the old exploring mostly with some enemy encounters here and there. I also don't believe you have to make games where weapons need to be upgraded. Just introduce the new weapons at specific times that are appropriate to the story and gameplay.
The counter-argument to that is that at least in TR, finding some things during your play-through gives you some sort of a tangible gameplay bonus. For me, nothing is more frustrating than hunting for a bunch of collectables only to find that I won't even get an Achievement if I don't find every single one. What a waste of time that is.
Old 03-18-14, 06:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Hasn't the Super Mario franchise been doing this for almost two decades? Is it necessary to find all the big stars on each level? No, but it can be fun knowing you accomplished something so pointless. There are a lot of other things that break the fourth wall that are more annoying if you ask me, such as a lack of environmental interactivity. I know there are limitations with do that with games, since they are finite universes.
Old 03-18-14, 06:33 PM

Again, platformers are different. If you weren't hunting down stars and collectables in a Mario game, what would you be doing?
I meant more like in a FPS or a third-person shooter. Something like Gears of War or Call of Duty where the point is to advance, take cover and shoot things. To stop the action of battle and start searching the back corners of the environments to try and find a hidden collectable in a game like that seems to me to be pretty much counter to the actual point of playing that sort of a game
Old 03-18-14, 06:38 PM

Princess Peach would be mighty mad if she ever found out about Mario's obsession with stars.
Old 03-18-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Hasn't the Super Mario franchise been doing this for almost two decades? Is it necessary to find all the big stars on each level? No, but it can be fun knowing you accomplished something so pointless.
In Mario it's not really pointless. Collecting the stars opens new levels.
Old 03-18-14, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
In Mario it's not really pointless. Collecting the stars opens new levels.
Which games, the newer ones? The first Mario game I played after 64 was The New Super Mario Bros (which I need to work on, I've neglected my Wii U somewhat). The N64 was the last system I owned, so I'm out of the loop.
Old 03-18-14, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The counter-argument to that is that at least in TR, finding some things during your play-through gives you some sort of a tangible gameplay bonus. For me, nothing is more frustrating than hunting for a bunch of collectables only to find that I won't even get an Achievement if I don't find every single one. What a waste of time that is.
Right. I like finding power ups; one of the best games with this is the first Crackdown, where you'd see an orb and have to figure out how to get it. On the opposite end of the spectrum, screw the flags in Assassin's Creed.

At least most games these days allow you to replay levels or have an open world you can backtrack in... I remember back in the day you either found it when you first played it or forget about it.
Old 03-19-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I primarily play games for the story lines anymore, and therefore are kind of sick of any achievement boxes popping up.
I don't know about the Xbox, but the trophy popup can be stopped on the PS3.

I typically play through a game without worrying about collecting things too much. If I really liked the game, I might go back through a second time to get the collectables.
Old 03-19-14, 10:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I think it depends on the game for me.
I didn't bother in any of the Uncharted games because it felt like too much of a deviation.
In Tomb Raider, I actually enjoyed going back to the different areas and searching things out.
In Ryse, I hate it, because the game is very much "on rails" and it's a pain to search that shit out in the heat of a battle.
In Dishonored, I didn't care for seeking out Runes on my first playthrough, but made a significant effort the second time. With that one (and Tomb Raider), it's more about the love I have for the game and wanting to "get" everything than anything else. Sure, it's kind of a chore, but in games that I really enjoy, I'm willing to stick around and find stuff.

So I'm somewhere in between. If it's a game that really grips me, then I'm more interested in collecting all the crap. If it's a game that's fun, but I ONLY care about progressing through the story, then I'll usually skip the collectibles aside from the ones I just happen to find without trying.
Old 03-19-14, 10:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tended to over-explore games even before collectibles came into the mix, so they really don't change my playing style much.
Old 03-19-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm so used to it now, it doesn't really bother me. But I do notice the relief of not having to look for items in open-world mission games (Infamous, GTA). Sure they have other collectibles, but not in the middle of missions, so dont have to worry about "missing" an aztec headress.
Old 03-19-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I generally only bother collecting them if it gains me something extra in the game (like a bonus mission or character or something). I don't really care about getting achievements or trophies though.