Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you play one game at a time or several?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 10:37 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am 35 years old with a family and a full-time job and I love video games. Guess what? There are MANY that I want to play but I only have a couple hours a night to play them. I used to stick with one game until completion then move on to the next, but now I juggle 2 or 3 at a time. Currently I juggle Marvel Heroes, Diablo 3, and World of Warcraft. What do these games have in common? There is no end...basically. So completing one and moving isn't happening with these games. So, right now I am struggling big time because I want to play all 3 badly. Damn you responsibilities!!! How do you guys do it?
Old 03-20-14, 10:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Do you play one game at a time or several?

I end up binging buying games and playing them either sporadically or in marathon runs. I have a family as well, but they all have gamed or do game, so it's not so much a problem. They understand my addiction as of late. I'm more of a movie buff, but gaming has taken over the/my living room. It helps that I work nights, so when everyone else is asleep, I tend to play games.

The new consoles I find amazing. I wasn't gaming much since N64. Please contain your laughter. I was in college and had other priorities.

Get a night shift job.
Old 03-20-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Although I will play sports games and an FPS on the side, I try to stick with one story-driven game at a time. I used to start a game and before I was very far into it would give into the temptation to start another game in my backlog at the same time and as a result I would never finish games. I have gotten much better about sticking with a game until I finish, but times like now where I am playing a particularly long game (FF XIII) it does get hard to fight the urge to start something else.
Old 03-20-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, one story-driven adventure at a time. But simultaneously I'll do multiplayer FPS matches or sports matches. For example, starting tomorrow I'll be playing Infamous Second Son mainly...but I'll hop online for some multiplayer Titanfall and multiplayer Battlefield 4 as well.
Old 03-20-14, 11:08 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by Brack
I end up binging buying games and playing them either sporadically or in marathon runs. I have a family as well, but they all have gamed or do game, so it's not so much a problem. They understand my addiction as of late. I'm more of a movie buff, but gaming has taken over the/my living room. It helps that I work nights, so when everyone else is asleep, I tend to play games.

The new consoles I find amazing. I wasn't gaming much since N64. Please contain your laughter. I was in college and had other priorities.

Get a night shift job.

One of my online gaming buddies has the greatest job ever. He works as a 911 dispatcher and where he works there isn't alot that goes on. He is allowed to play games pretty much his entire shift each night...of course until a call comes in. We have played D3 in the past and he would type "Hold on a sec...gotta call" Be gone for a couple of minutes and come back and keep going. I swear that is the luckiest bastard on planet earth.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Nope, I bounce around from game to game all the time.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Same as far as story driven games; something like Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite I concentrated on solely (unless I get bored, like I did part way through Last of Us), and I usually have a multiplayer game on the side that i'll play, currently Titanfall and previously Battlefield 4. Right now i'm pretty much hoping between Link Between Worlds on 3DS and Titanfall.
Old 03-20-14, 11:10 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will usually be playing one sp game and one mp game that I go back and forth on. If my friends are on I will play the mp with them, and if not the sp game. I don't like to play more than one sp game at a time.
Old 03-20-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not understand backlogs (especially with the BB GCU and trade ins and such).

One story driven game (or none), one sports game (FIFA), and two multiplayer games (COD and Titanfall).
Old 03-20-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

But the BB GCU is a good reason FOR a backlog. Some great deals to be had, especially during B2G1F sales.
Old 03-20-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I will usually be playing one sp game and one mp game that I go back and forth on. If my friends are on I will play the mp with them, and if not the sp game. I don't like to play more than one sp game at a time.
I do this too. I have a couple of X1's --- one in the family room where I play all my MP because my wifi single is very strong and one for the bedroom so Kinect can spy on me and the Mrs... also so I can play my SP games. I'm currently juggling Titanfall, South Park and Dead Rising 3. I have a backlog of X360 games still plus about 3 Live / PS+ titles I MUST get thru to feel better about my addiction.
Old 03-20-14, 11:43 AM
wlj

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I do not understand backlogs (especially with the BB GCU and trade ins and such).

One story driven game (or none), one sports game (FIFA), and two multiplayer games (COD and Titanfall).

If you want a gigantic backlog quickly....Steam Sales

Old 03-20-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I bounce around all the time, so I find that I rarely finish anything. I've gotten a little better this year though.
Old 03-20-14, 11:58 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

As others have said, I try to stick with one story-based game at a time, while keeping a FPS or racing game on the side for days when I just want to kill some time.
Old 03-20-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier
But the BB GCU is a good reason FOR a backlog. Some great deals to be had, especially during B2G1F sales.

I guess I just disagree.

If you play it correctly, you can pretty much game for free and keep recycling.
Old 03-20-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Almost always one at a time, although I'll occasionally take a break with something pick-up-and-play.
Old 03-20-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I can't focus on one game at a time. I will play a few games and eventually decide on two games to switch between. Currently doing Dark Souls 2 and whenever i get frustrated, i'll start up FF X HD.
Old 03-20-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Typically one single-player game with a narrative at a time, but with small bursts of multiplayer, puzzle or sports games tossed in as wanted.
Old 03-20-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I assume you mean primary gaming, not stuff on the ipad and whatnot. I only play one game at a time.
Old 03-20-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

1 story-based console game at a time, concurrent with 1 or more Vita games.
Old 03-20-14, 12:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by shizawn
I bounce around all the time, so I find that I rarely finish anything. I've gotten a little better this year though.
Same here, except for the getting better part. My 'too finish soon' pile still has Atari carts.
Old 03-20-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

One at a time, for the most part. I like to play a game until I am done with it, and move on to something else, but occasionally I'll throw something else in if friends want to play online.
Old 03-20-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually, I work through one single-player story at a time until it's finished, but I'll also have a co-op game or two in progress (typically a LEGO game or dungeon crawler with my better half). And I, too, have a pretty decent backlog (both digital and physical), so I typically have something new to load up as soon as I finish whatever I'm working on.
Old 03-20-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Almost always one at a time, although I'll occasionally take a break with something pick-up-and-play.
This sounds about right. Games like Tomb Raider, Bioshock, Uncharted, Fallout, etc... I only want to play that game and all the way through as they are very engaging for me and I don't want anything else to mess with that. I guess in a way that I only read one book at time but will read the paper. Apps and some games like Limbo, PSN, Xbox live games, or a car race games don't take a lot of investment to kill 30-60 minutes.
Old 03-20-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I guess I just disagree.

If you play it correctly, you can pretty much game for free and keep recycling.
Wait, what? There's a "right way" AND I've been paying?? There's no right way when you have kids, a more than full time job and normal familial / home responsibilities. You game when you can.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.