Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

News Outlet Gets Story Wrong, DVD Talkers Fall For It. Bonus thread: Y'all Need Jesus

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

News Outlet Gets Story Wrong, DVD Talkers Fall For It. Bonus thread: Y'all Need Jesus

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Forgive me if there's a post on this already. I tried "Search" but I came up with nothing.

All I can say is...Wow. $$$$$$$$$$$.

Story Here

AFRICANGLOBE – This little known story has met a just conclusion, as Sophia Stewart, African American author of The Matrix will finally receive her just due from the copyright infringement of her original work!!!

A six-year dispute has ended involving Sophia Stewart, the Wachowski Brothers, Joel Silver and Warner Brothers. Stewart’s allegations, involving copyright infringement and racketeering, were received and acknowledged by the Central District of California, Judge Margaret Morrow presiding.

Stewart, a New Yorker who has resided in Salt Lake City for the past five years, will recover damages from the films, The Matrix I, II and III, as well as The Terminator and its sequels. She will soon receive one of the biggest payoffs in the history of Hollywood , as the gross receipts of both films and their sequels total over 2.5 billion dollars.

Stewart filed her case in 1999, after viewing the Matrix, which she felt had been based on her manuscript, ‘The Third Eye,’ copyrighted in 1981. In the mid-eighties Stewart had submitted her manuscript to an ad placed by the Wachowski Brothers, requesting new sci-fi works..

According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in an attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement.

The investigation also stated that ‘credible witnesses employed at Warner Brothers came forward, claiming that the executives and lawyers had full knowledge that the work in question did not belong to the Wachowski Brothers.’ These witnesses claimed to have seen Stewart’s original work and that it had been ‘often used during preparation of the motion pictures.’ The defendants tried, on several occasions, to have Stewart’s case dismissed, without success.

Stewart has confronted skepticism on all sides, much of which comes from Matrix fans, who are strangely loyal to the Wachowski Brothers. One on-line forum, entitled Matrix Explained has an entire section devoted to Stewart. Some who have researched her history and writings are open to her story.

Others are suspicious and mocking. ‘It doesn’t bother me,’ said Stewart in a phone interview last week, ‘I always knew what was true.’

Some fans, are unaware of the case or they question its legitimacy, due to the fact that it has received little to no media coverage. Though the case was not made public until October of 2003, Stewart has her own explanation, as quoted at aghettotymz.com:

‘The reason you have not seen any of this in the media is because Warner Brothers parent company is AOL-Time Warner…. this GIANT owns 95 percent of the media… let me give you a clue as to what they own in the media business… New York Times papers/magazines, LA Times papers/magazines, People Magazine, CNN news, Extra, Celebrity Justice, Entertainment Tonight, HBO, New Line Cinema, DreamWorks, Newsweek, Village Roadshow and many, many more! They are not going to report on themselves. They have been suppressing my case for years.’

Fans who have taken Stewart’s allegations seriously, have found eerie mythological parallels, which seem significant in a case that revolves around the highly metaphorical and symbolic Matrix series. Sophia, the Greek goddess of wisdom has been referenced many times in speculation about Stewart. In one book about the Goddess Sophia, it reads, ‘The black goddess is the mistress of web creation spun in her divine matrix.’

Although there have been outside implications as to racial injustice (Stewart is African American), she does not feel that this is the case. ‘This is all about the Benjamins,’ said Stewart. ‘It’s not about money with me. It’s about justice.’

Stewart’s future plans involve a record label, entitled Popsilk Records, and a motion picture production company, All Eyez On Me, in reference to God. ‘I wrote The Third Eye to wake people up, to remind them why God put them here. There’s more to life than money,’ said Stewart. ‘My whole to the world is about God and good and about choice, about spirituality over ‘technocracy’.’

If Stewart represents spirituality, then she truly has prevailed over the ‘technocracy’ represented in both the Terminator and the Matrix, and now, ironically, by their supposed creators.

Stewart is currently having discussions with CBS about a possible exclusive story and has several media engagements in the near future to nationally publicize her victory.

June 13th 2004. Sophia Stewart’s press release read: ‘The Matrix & Terminator movie franchises have made world history and have ultimately changed the way people view movies and how Hollywood does business, yet the real truth about the creator and creation of these films continue to elude the masses because the hidden secret of the matter is that these films were created and written by a Black woman…a Black woman named Sophia Stewart. But Hollywood does not want you to know this fact simply because it would change history. Also it would encourage our Black children to realize a dream and that is…nothing is impossible for them to achieve!

By; Marcia L. McNair
Old 02-14-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Sophia Stewart, The Real Creator of ‘The Matrix,’ Wins Billion Dollar Copyright C

Whoa.
Old 02-14-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Sophia Stewart, The Real Creator of ‘The Matrix,’ Wins Billion Dollar Copyright C

It's not true. The article you quoted has been floating around since 2004, and was an error on the author's part. Snopes has an article about this :
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/matrix.asp

Previous threads about this case:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...-go-ahead.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...tor-again.html
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ea-matrix.html
Old 02-14-13, 01:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

never knew anything about this... good for her if it's true.
Old 02-14-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I remember this case. Didn't recall that she was suing over The Terminator as well.
Old 02-14-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not true. The article you quoted has been floating around since 2004, and was an error on the author's part. Snopes has an article about this :

Wow. A hoax? lol!
Old 02-14-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't trust africanglobe.net for your news who can you trust.
Old 02-14-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Why The Matrix though? That movie was already derivative of a multitude of other works.

Oh yeah, a guy sued over Avatar's story too. Nevermind.
Old 02-14-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was more interested in aghettotymz.com's news credibility.
Old 02-14-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I remember this case. Didn't recall that she was suing over The Terminator as well.
She'd have to sue Harlan Ellison retroactively first.
Old 02-14-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Are those real links or are they a ploy of The Matrix?
Old 02-14-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Meglos
She'd have to sue Harlan Ellison retroactively first.
Yep...was buying the story until I read about THE TERMINATOR. Everyone knows Cameron ripped off Ellison on that one.
Old 02-14-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-14-13, 05:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

According to court documentation, an FBI investigation discovered that more than thirty minutes had been edited from the original film, in an attempt to avoid penalties for copyright infringement.
This part made me suspicious of a hoax.
Old 02-14-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I heard Marisa Tomei didn't really win that Oscar but they gave it to her cuz Jack Palance was drunk and said her name by mistake.
Old 02-14-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I knew it was bullshit when the article mentioned The Matrix 2 and 3. No one would ever take credit for writing those two abortions!
Old 02-14-13, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

AfricanGlobe.net???

WTF with that ridiculous source? That should have been a giveaway already.
Old 02-14-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I knew it was bullshit when the article mentioned The Matrix 2 and 3. No one would ever take credit for writing those two abortions!
That's rumored why they sucked. The Wachowski's had no material to plagiarize.
Old 02-14-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Was there some coonin' going on?
Old 02-14-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

You motherfuckers need Jesus.
Old 02-15-13, 12:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Put this on a bumpersticker.
Old 02-15-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fuck all of you with a sick dick Like CNN, Fox, and other never got it wrong.
Old 02-16-13, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Fuck all of you with a sick dick Like CNN, Fox, and other never got it wrong.
Yeah...but they get paid millions of dollars to be wrong and whatnot. You..you're just being wrong on your own time and dime. That's sickening.
Old 02-16-13, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Old 02-17-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: News Outlet Gets Story Wrong, DVD Talkers Fall For It. Bonus thread: Y'all Need J

I love the new thread title.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.